Error: "A referal was returned from the server" when launching XMouse + other stuff

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Error: "A referal was returned from the server" when launching XMouse + other stuff

Post by Adrianrff »

I've been using Xmouse in my home PC for a while now without trouble. I tried to install it in my work computer and it worked initially, but now I'm getting this error when trying to launch it:

"A referral was returned from the server".

I have to edit the .exe properties and enable "run this program as administrator". At first I had to do it every time I started the computer, but after (fraudulently and secretly changing) gaining access to the administrator account password I was able to fix this particular problem... apparently. Still, i have to enter the administrator password to launch Xmouse, which I didn't have to do before. Why is XMouse asking for admin rights now all of the sudden?!
I have tried uninstalling XMouse, re-downloading it and installing it (using the admin password) from my standard user account. No dice, I get the referral from the server error at first, and I have to make it run as admin.

Another problem is that Xmouse is not starting start with Windows (7), and it used to. Even in this PC. I have to manually start it (entering the admin password) and it is kind of a pain. The installation I had before was working fine, but the IT folks did something funky the other day and things got messed up. I haven't tried too hard to sort this problem out, I think I can do it on my own, but the first one (XMouse asking for admin rights) has beaten me

Some guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Error: "A referal was returned from the server" when launching XMouse + other stuff

Post by phil »

Hi,

XMouse should not need administrative access to run. However, it does run as a UI accessibility tool, and for this it has to be digitally signed. It is possible that your company have put (group) policies in place to block these types of applications, or have removed root certificates from Windows so the digital signature is not trusted.

Things to check:
1. XMBC uses digital sigs provided by Certum which should be trusted globally unless the root certs have been modified. You can check this (I think) browse to the install folder (C:\Program Files\Highresolution Enterprises\X-Mouse Button Control), right click XMouseButtonControl.exe and select properties. Select the digital signatures tab, select the cert and press the details button. On the screen that pops up, it should say "this digital signature is OK" near the top. Click view certificate to open that and check that it is recognized as valid.

2. Make sure you instaled XMBC in the C:\Program Files folder (this is required for UI accessibility to work.

3. Try the portable version - this does not run as UI accessibility, it should run but some functions may not work (such as the ability to work with UAC elevated applications (those that need the admin logon).

Regarding not starting up, the installer should put an entry in the RUN registry key. Check the startup tab in task explorer (win 8 on-wards) or msconfig.exe on Windows 7 to see if XMBC is listed. If its not there, re-running the full install should fix it - if it does not, then I will need to investigate further.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Re: Error: "A referal was returned from the server" when launching XMouse + other stuff

Post by Adrianrff »

Thank you, Phil.

Ok, there seems to be something wrong with the certificate or the PC, the cert is not being verified. It must be some local security setting, because this was working fine until IT messed with the computer:

What do you suggest? I have admin rights now so I can try changing some security policies. I'm all ears!

Regarding the starting of XMouse, it is installed in C:\Program files and it also shows (and is checked) in the startup tap in msconfig:

Maybe this is related to the first problem.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

It could well be related to the first problem, so lets start there....
Urm, I'm not 100% sure how to handle this - I guess you need to (re)install the certum root certificates. Normally windows update installs the root certs, so you could check to see if there is a recent root certificate update that might re-instate them. But the big problem, is this is done via group policy, then you may find that at every reboot (and perhaps even more frequently), the certificates are reverted.

You can download and install the certum root certs from here:
https://www.certum.eu/certum/cert,exper ... icates.xml
Installing them may be as simple as clicking the crt download link in IE (not firefox as it has its own cert store), then opening the cert, selecting Install, then local machine (needs admin access) then automatically select the store (or manually select the root certificate store). If that does not work, it gets more complicated, using MMC certificates snap-in to manage your certs.

Depending on your usage, the portable version of XMBC may be a better option - if you are generally not using elevated processes it might suffice - although you may also find some simulated keys don't work. Its worth a try first to see if it is suitable, and if it works without this error, you can run it at startup by dragging a shortcut to the startup sub-menu of the start menu.
--[ Phil ]--
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

Ok, I'm starting to feel that this is a little over my head.

I'll start with the root cert download option from IE (could it be Chrome though? I don't have IE in this machine, but I'm downloading it right now at the stunning speed of 38 KB/s... Yeah, I know.). If that doesn't work I'll move on to the MMC option, but I'll need some guidance there.

If all fails, portable version it is. Unless you know which security policy might be responsible for this, I can try changing that. I have tried messing with a few ones that looked like could work, but nothing. This is what I have:

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm afraid that I dont know which policy to look at off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure it wont be in the group you listed, there is likely to be something to manipulate the certificates on the machine.

I will have to play around with group policy on by test machines, but it means setting up a domain environment to do so so its going to take me some time I think (and I'm rather busy this weekend with other things).

I'll get back to you if/when I figure it out, in the mean time if you have any joy, let me know.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

I didn't have a chance to giving it a go yesterday (Friday). I'll let you on Monday how it went.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Looking here: https://www.repairwin.com/fix-a-referra ... ver-error/
the suggest step for solution 2 seems to match what you have tried from your screenshot above - so if your still getting this error, its a little concerning - that is, I'm not sure what else to suggest :(
--[ Phil ]--
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

Yeah, I tried both steps. The first one allowed me to run the program (albeit elevated), but the second one had no effect. The problem seems to be the certificate. I'll try to download it tomorrow morning and report back. By the way, you missed a question I asked earlier: can I use Chrome instead or IE? The Internet at work is painfully slow.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I dont know if you can us chrome instead of IE, but I guess so - chrome uses the windows cert store, just like IE. You can download it with firefox too I guess but you wont be able to install it from Firefox as it will go into firefox's own certificate store!
--[ Phil ]--
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

Ok, Phil, I've managed to have the cert verified. the problem was the Certum Trusted Network CA certificate up the chain, as you correctly suggested. I didn't need to download IE nor the cert again, I did it through the property window directly by installing the cert and choosing the store manually (does it make any difference?). However, Xmouse is still asking for admin rights in order to be launched and it's not starting on boot!

I've tried placing the shortcut in the startup folder and having it always run as admin, but it doesn't work either.

Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

I'm an idiot. I forgot to uncheck "run this program as administrator" in the property window. I had checked that in order to be able to launch Xmouse when certificate wasn't being verified. It's all good now!

Thank you very much for your assistance, Phil!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Great - maybe I need to link this thread from the FAQ in-case anyone else has the problem/
--[ Phil ]--
Adrianrff
Dedicated

Post by Adrianrff »

That's a good idea.

If it helps, I confirmed that this problem originates locally. There's definitely something preventing digital signatures to be verified in this PC. I just tried installing a different software and the same error pops up. The first certificate in the chain can't ve verified. Unfortunately, in this case, the solution here doesn't work. Still trying to figure it out.

Anyway, thanks again, Phill.
Jackthomas02
New User

Post by Jackthomas02 »

I have solved my issue by using group policy editor.