Hold <shift> to change scroll wheel to left/right

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
LoBoard
New User

Re: Hold <shift> to change scroll wheel to left/right

Post by LoBoard »

XMBC Version: 2.20.4
Windows Version: Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSC 1809, Build 17763.4377
Mouse Information (brand/model): Trust Sura 19938-02 Wireless Mouse (5 buttons)
How long have you used XMBC?: Eight hours
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English

I just started to use my 5-buttons mouse and then I realized that I need to disable 4th&5th button.
I went to manufacturer's site and did not find any tool for this. However, they advised me to use XMBC.
Hence, I got on this great utility.
Disabling 4th&5th button was very straight and smoothly.

I’ve noticed that XMBC, itself, is more powerful tool that just disabling buttons. As for me, I am not a fun of automation, scripts, hotkeys etc., but I use all these tools off and on. Then I tried to figure out how XMBC may help me and I found some job for it.

In the Chromium-based browser, there are the hotkeys for scrolling the page to the very top and bottom, HOME and END, accordingly.
My goal was to emulate HOME/END pressing by using Mouse Wheel UP/DOWN with SHIFT modifier.
I used the methods above, but it did not help.

Accidentally, when I played with different key strokes I sent ‘{CTRL}A’ and got opened Chrome’s dialog that searches for text in the open tabs. In fact, this dialog in Chrome is called by CTRL-SHIFT-A hotkey, so it seemed that I send extra SHIFT along with ‘{CTRL}A’ key stroke.
Was it the same ‘SHIFT’ that switches Layer 1 and Layer 2 as modifier?

Then I sent ‘{RELEASE}{SHIFT}{HOME}’ and it works )))

Sorry for longread, maybe it helps in future improving of the XMBC.
..maybe I did it all wrong and there is a simple way to do the same ))
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

LoBoard wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 pm Was it the same ‘SHIFT’ that switches Layer 1 and Layer 2 as modifier?
Yes it would be that - the modifier keys are exactly that - they modify XMBC layers but they are NOT blocked.
So they still get passed through to the application underneath...

It cant block it else shift would become useless for its original purpose (how would XMBC know in advance if the shift needs to be blocked or passed through) :) - Not sure anything can be done about that!

I'm not sure if there was a question in there though (that I missed) - or is this just a nice PSA post to help others?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
LoBoard
New User

Post by LoBoard »

phil wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:57 pm I'm not sure if there was a question in there though (that I missed) - or is this just a nice PSA post to help others?
Thank you for the clarification.
And, of course, it was a Public Service Announcement post.