Force X Mouse Button Control to Start Hidden

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
JAB Creations
New User

Force X Mouse Button Control to Start Hidden

Post by JAB Creations »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2.0
Installed or Portable version: Portable
Windows Version: 11 x64

I user the Startup folder for All Users and the Current User instead of burying things in hidden garbage places like the registry. On startup the program starts though displays the window. I tried

Code: Select all

XMouseButtonControl /?
for the list of command line parameters and added

-hide
to the shortcut however the window is still displayed on startup. How do I force the window to be hidden and accessible from the taskbar tray?

No: I will not use a newer version until he fixes it to use Alt+Tab correctly instead of next-next-next-next-next window bug.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Force X Mouse Button Control to Start Hidden

Post by phil »

The window is only shown at startup if there is already another instance on XMBC running. So I can only assume that you are starting it more than once (from different places/methods). The installed version adds itself to the run key in the registry but that's obviously not applicable to the portable version. Are you sure you don't have two shortcuts running it or something?
No: I will not use a newer version until he fixes it to use Alt+Tab correctly instead of next-next-next-next-next window bug.
I don't understand what that means? Are you suggesting there is a problem with 2.20? And by "he" do you mean me or have I missed something there too?

EDIT: Seen your other post now so I understand a little more - but will continue that discussion there!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
JAB Creations
New User

Post by JAB Creations »

It looks like the parameter is "/notportable" to start hidden.

I just used the installer with 2.20.4 and the {ALT}{TAB} simulated keys for ALT+Tab are working properly now even though I didn't change anything except install.

I didn't see a browse button to choose a non-dumping installation path... Eh, moved it manually.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Urm, no not really... /notportable just tells XMBC it has been launched by the entry setup by the installer, and not to run in portable mode (so save settings etc. into the same folder as the executable, rather than %appdata%\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl or whereever chosen during install.

I repeat again, the setup window *should* only show at startup if XMBC is already running. So if the setup window is showing, that would suggest that XMBC is being run more than once. The log file should indicate this, and say something along the lines of:

05-06-2023 08:23:03.509> MultInstance: Sending command line '/notportable' to an existing instance of X-Mouse Button Control
05-06-2023 08:23:03.510> MultInstance: Successfully finished communicating with the first instance of X-Mouse Button Control.
05-06-2023 08:23:03.510> Received 2048 bytes on the IPC named pipe.
05-06-2023 08:23:03.510> Received message with data 0x80000204 from another instance of X-Mouse Button Control.
05-06-2023 08:23:03.510> RemoveMouseHook(true)
05-06-2023 08:23:03.515> EndHookThread called with no hook or timer thread initialised!

05-06-2023 08:23:03.571> Exiting Hotkey Thread MessageLoop...
05-06-2023 08:23:03.572> CMyMessageWnd::OnSetup   -   Opening setup dialog.
This (opening the setup window the second time you run XMBC) is by design, so one can get to the setup window if running XMBC completely hidden (no icon in the tray which you are not doing). After telling the first instance to open the setup window, the second instance will terminate, thus leaving only one copy of XMBC running. So the only way to see that two instances have been started, would be to look in the log I guess (you should never see more than one instance of XMBC in task manager except very briefly during startup where the above communication between instances and log is generated)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
JAB Creations
New User

Post by JAB Creations »

It looks by how the Autoruns program works that shortcuts in the Startup folders are opened more than once. 🙄?

Thank you for the clarification about the window only being displayed if it's already open.