RMB <-> LMB Switching not working correctly in OneNote

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
spitfire_ch

RMB <-> LMB Switching not working correctly in OneNote

Post by spitfire_ch »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.21 Beta 15
Installed or Portable version: Portable
Windows Version: Windows 11
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech Trackman Marble & Trackman Ergo
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): i5-1125G7, 16 GB
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): n/a
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): n/a
How long have you used XMBC?: Years, but not this feature
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Swiss German

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

Hi,
due to some strain in my right hand, I started using XMBC to easily switch between right handed layout and left handed layout (i.e. set Left Button to Right Click and Right Button to Left Click). That works like a charm in most cases, except for OneNote App 365 (it works in OneNote for Windows 10, it also works in other 365 Applications): There, when I press the right mouse button (which is the simulated left mouse button) to select something it won't release and stay in selection mode. If I briefly click, the problem does not occur, only when selecting something.

I also tried to use simulated key presses instead, but there, only "3 During" allows me to select anything, and the same problem occurs.

Mouse -> Press -> Left Button might work, but there I don't know how to release it again. I can't add two simulated Keystrokes to one button, one for press and one for release, right?

Do you have any idea how this could be solved?

Thank you very much!

Btw: I am very glad to see that you have resumed development. I hope you are better again!
Dolmatov
Committed

Re: RMB <-> LMB Switching not working correctly in OneNote

Post by Dolmatov »

Either I didn't fully understand the problem, or I can't reproduce it. But I have the installed version. As the developer wrote, the portable version is more limited in rights by the system. Check on the installed version.
___
If it does not help, then try to describe the situation in detail:
What is configured in the program or provide a copy of the settings;
What keys you press on the mouse and on the position of the cursor program elements -> what happens after that.

You can also make a screen recording program that displays mouse clicks.
__
OS Windows 11 22H2 22624.1635
XMBC: 2.20.4
Microsoft 365: Version 2306 (June 2023)
spitfire_ch

Post by spitfire_ch »

Thx for your reply. I now also tried it on my private laptop, where I have a full installation of XMBC (version 2.21 Beta 3). The machine is running Windows 11 and has OneNote 2021 installed (from MS Office Professional Plus 2021):

Microsoft® OneNote® 2021 MSO (Version 2304 Build 16.0.16327.20200) 64 Bit

If I am not mistaken, the version on my business machine is a newer one. But anyway, it has to be the "classic" instsallation of OneNote, not the one from the app store.

The problem is exactly the same and hence reproducable:
  • Set any button to "Left Click"
  • In OneNote: select some text using that button
  • Release the button
  • Move the mouse
When you move the mouse, the text selection changes, as if the mouse button were still pressed. There is no other way to stop this other than temporarily disabling XMBC.

Question:
In simulated keys, you can choose Mouse Buttons -> Press/Release -> Left Button
Can I set up an assignment in a way that when I press the button, it will do Press -> Left Button, and when I release, it will do Release -> Left Button? My hope is that sending the Release more than once could actually be a workaround. But so far, I can only send the release action immediately after the press action: {OD}{LMBD}{OU}{LMBU}
But that's a very bad idea, as that just keeps the button pressed in any program and the release does never trigger.
Do you know how to get that working correctly?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Dolmatov
Committed

Post by Dolmatov »

Repeated. The log is hard to read to find the ambiguity, so I'll leave that to the developer.
XMouseButtonControl.zip
Set up in the program:
New layer for OneNote process, assigned keys to each other.
In Microsoft 365:
Typed text, made a selection.
ONENOTE_gznAJQU6gb.png
Debugging is enabled before the action and disabled after the problem reoccurs, switching to AkelPad to try to remove the effect of the layer action in XMBC.

Separately, I tried the sticking reset options and it did not help. Only resetting the focus of the program helps.
XMouseButtonControl_euZSzBNK8Z.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I seem to recall this previous with onenote...
I think the simple solution may be to use the "swap primary and secondary buttons" in a profile just for onenote.
Its much more reliable than assigning left to right and right to left as it does not need any intercepting & simulated input.
snip.png
This cant be set on the default profile (not entirely sure why its been that way for years!) but can be set on any app/window specific profile and toggles the Windows swap mouse buttons option in the mouse control panel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
spitfire_ch

Post by spitfire_ch »

Thanks a lot to both of you for looking into this!

I tried the swapping option in OneNote and it seems to work without issue. The only problem with swapping is that it can't be assigned to a keyboard shortcut. I use layer 1 for the right handed setup and layer 2 for the left handed setup, so that I can easily switch between the two using hotkeys. (I still need to use my right hand for certain tasks that require more precision or speed, and have actually connected two mice, one on the left side and one on the right side of the keyboard for fast switching. The two layers also differ in other aspects than switching RMB and LMB, because the mice are not the same.)

Would it be possible to also add this option to the layers in a later version? Or do you see another solution?

Thank you very much!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Ahhhh I see... that could be an issue. I suppose it could be added to the layers without too much work (just the usual GUI pain lol).
I will add it to the list but I don't know how long it will take me to get to it (Im still recovering from the 2.20 trauma lol) and Ive still got a few issues Im chasing in 2.20.4 (like a badly reported hang/lockup - no info yet lol).

I've added it to the list of things to do!
--[ Phil ]--
spitfire_ch

Post by spitfire_ch »

No worries, thanks a lot for adding it to the list! And good recovery from the trauma ;) Somehow I never realized there was a traumatic issue with 2.20 ;)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Every release has a little trauma!!! The more point releases, the bigger the trauma lol - I guess .4 isn’t so bad but I would rather aim for .0!!!
--[ Phil ]--