How can I change my profile settings location?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
viza

How can I change my profile settings location?

Post by viza »

Somehow my profile settings have been saved to the network, which is now unavailable. After trying to change this settings and save them, I get a message that the settings file could not be saved. How can i change profile location, as i can't find such option?
XMBC.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dolmatov
Committed

Re: How can I change my profile settings location?

Post by Dolmatov »

Exit settings, change the registry.

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl

SettingsFolder
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi Viza, you failed to fill in the post template (sigh) so I don't know what version of XMBC you are running on.

I have changed the behaviour in version 2.21 Beta 3 to allow you to continue after receiving this message (it will revert to the default location).
But I guess you are still on 2.20.2 (the latest release version) so until I release 2.20.3 (or 2.21) you will have to edit the registry like Dolmatov suggested (its a bit awkward :()

I will hopefully be releasing 2.20.3 soon (maybe by or over this weekend) as I think I have found and fixed the outstanding issue I was chasing now.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
viza

Post by viza »

phil wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:40 pm I have changed the behaviour in version 2.21 Beta 3 to allow you to continue after receiving this message (it will revert to the default location).
I will hopefully be releasing 2.20.3 soon (maybe by or over this weekend) as I think I have found and fixed the outstanding issue I was chasing now.
I don't understand, if the settings file is not available, in theory, the XBMC should work on default settings, but this is not the case. And what will happen after the automatic reset? Will I lose all my settings? I can export what now is set, but will the wrong location remain?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

That's what will happen in the next version (revert to the default location, with what ever is in that settings file if it exists, or with defaults if it does not exist). In the current version, if it cant find the file it just goes wrong and does not attempt to revert to the default location - thats a bug I have fixed since version 2.20.2.

If the file is no longer available to read, then of course you will loose any settings in that file. Unless you can find a copy of the old settings file, you will have to start again from scratch or from whatever exists in the settings file in the default location!
--[ Phil ]--
viza

Post by viza »

phil wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:39 pm thats a bug I have fixed since version 2.20.2.
My version is just 2.20.2. Editing the registry by Dolmatov suggestion was made, restart done, however error remains. :(
XMBC still remeber old network path. Settings are NOT default, the question is - where they are stored if NOT on the network or registry?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

They should be stored in C:\users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl
(or "%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl") by default.

Settings are stored in the file XMBCSettings.xml by default.
There should also be a log file there that may be useful f you continue to have problems (send me a copy of the log).
If the file is not there, it should be created with default settings.

But I repeat, there is a bug, in 2.20.2 and older, where it DOES NOT DO THIS if the settings were previously LOADED from another location (network/external HDD etc.) that is no longer available. That's when you get that error message.

Perhaps the best solution is to install the latest beta version (here) where this bug is fixed. It will actually be a good test!

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
viza

Post by viza »

Alas, the newest beta did not solve the problem :(
log file is not accepted
Last edited by viza on Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well that's good in a way, because it means I can still try and fix it before I release...
Did you find the log file? in the folder?
When you click the OK button, does it not continue, but with no setup?
If it does, just load the existing profile, "load profile" and browse to the folder above and select/open the XMBCSettings.XML file.
If its not there, Export it first to that location, then import/load it.... That should change the default location.

Worst case, during install, select "reset settings" which should clear the registry key (maybe you didn't clear the right one?!)
--[ Phil ]--
viza

Post by viza »

If it does, just load the existing profile, "load profile" and browse to the folder above and select/open the XMBCSettings.XML file.
If its not there, Export it first to that location, then import/load it.... That should change the default location.
Finally! That helped :cheers:
P.S. Why not just make the option to manually choose or change the path in the settings?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

because I figured you choose the path using the load profile button - that's not so difficult it it (and pretty standard?!)
--[ Phil ]--
viza

Post by viza »

phil wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:43 am Worst case, during install, select "reset settings" which should clear the registry key (maybe you didn't clear the right one?!)
I probably misunderstood Dolmatov advice, because I did not clear this registry key, I edited it and set the correct path.
Anyway thank you for help.