CTRL button isn't the same like the keyboard - another item

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Mauerblümchen
New User

CTRL button isn't the same like the keyboard - another item

Post by Mauerblümchen »

XMBC Version: 2.21 Beta 2
Installed or Portable version: installed
Software: Windows 10 Pro x64, Firefox 110.01 x64
Mouse: Silvercrest HG06607A
Hardware: Lenovo T520, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620 @2720 MHz, 8GB Ram
Time of problem occurence: Problem occured after an former upgrade of XMBC, however, I don't know the version?
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? No
How long have you used XMBC? Probably 4 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows? German

Problem:
Hi,
I set {CTRL} (Mode 3) to button 4 or 5 (swapped in time). While using Microsoft Edge I am able to click the CTRl-programmed button of the mouse and LEFT at the same time to open a link in a new tab. If I do this with the same website in Mozilla Firefox, the link opens only within the tab I am just using. If i use the CTRL button of the keyboard to open the link in a new tab it works fine. Interestingly, if you use SHIFT Mode 3 instead of CTRL, it works like the keyboard and opens a link in a new browser window, independent the type of browser. I made the same experience with another mouse (Logilink ID0139). Using other type of modes like mode 1 or mode 4 does not change anything.

It would be nice to have it working correctly again.
Regards
phil
Site Admin

Re: CTRL button isn't the same like the keyboard - another item

Post by phil »

I'm not sure why it would work with Edge and not Firefox, I'll try and have a look,
but why use CTRL+LEFT when the middle button does this by default (open link in new tab), as in why not just {MMB}
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Mauerblümchen
New User

Post by Mauerblümchen »

Thanks a lot for your reply. The wheel is programed wit a double click for other purposes.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes I get, that, but you can simulate the default middle button with {MMB} on simkeys... I was just curious!
Also if firefox does actually work with SHIFT + click (which is odd) then you could create a separate profile just for firefox to send {SHIFT} instead of {CTRL} maybe?
--[ Phil ]--
Mauerblümchen
New User

Post by Mauerblümchen »

I meant, that I use the double click on the mouse wheel. I'm not looking for SHIFT click because this opens a new window, not a new tab. But probably it would be possible to produce a firefox profile with STRG+LEFTCLICK (yes, this opens a new tab) on the wheel. But I need to have a look how to use program specific profiles.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Just checked here with {CTRL} and method 3 set on button 5... Then In firefox it seems to work fine holding button 5 and left clicking - that is, it opens in new tab as I would expect, so its not really clear what the problem is.

I'm not sure what you mean by (swapped in time) thought for buttons 5 and 4 - maybe that is relevant?

Might need to turn on debug logging and reproduce, so I can see if XMBC is indeed holding CTRL down, but I cant see why it would work for me and not you, unless there is some other configuration issue at play, in which case, a copy of your settings (save profile) would perhaps be handy too!
--[ Phil ]--
Mauerblümchen
New User

Post by Mauerblümchen »

Just checked here with {CTRL} and method 3 set on button 5... Then In firefox it seems to work fine holding button 5 and left clicking - that is, it opens in new tab as I would expect, so its not really clear what the problem is.
Strange. In my case, only the keyboard CTRL works fine, not the one programmed in XMBC within Firefox. But, other than described before, Microsoft Edge shows (sometimes?) the same behaviour as Firefox. Keyboard-CTRL-Click opens new tab, mouse-CTRL doesn't.
I'm not sure what you mean by (swapped in time) thought for buttons 5 and 4 - maybe that is relevant?
No. One time I programmed button 4. To be sure that the reason for the behaviour isn't the mouse hardware, I tried button 5. No difference.
Might need to turn on debug logging and reproduce, so I can see if XMBC is indeed holding CTRL down, but I cant see why it would work for me and not you, unless there is some other configuration issue at play, in which case, a copy of your settings (save profile) would perhaps be handy too!
I sent you direct messages with the profile file.
Mauerblümchen
New User

Post by Mauerblümchen »

It seems, that I have found the solution. I just switched the left mouse button from no change to simulated action with left mouse button. Now, it works within both browsers as expected (like the keyboard).
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, I got the PM's. You should be able to make attachments and URL links now (you need 4 or 5 posts before that's enabled - to slow down the spam bots!)

It is interesting to see that changing/remapping the left button to left click made it work!!! You certainly should not have to change the left button from "No change (Don't Intercept)" and doing so may cause more harm than good (if nothing else it adds a small delay) so I'd like to try and figure out why it is not working for you. I will try using your profile later after work and see if I can reproduce the problem here!
--[ Phil ]--