Win11 22H2: change volume with mousewheel on taskbar

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
hello_world
New User

Win11 22H2: change volume with mousewheel on taskbar

Post by hello_world »

Hi Phil

I think I found something not working with the wheel in Windows 11 22H2:
One of the changes in 11 22H2 was: "In the Taskbar, you can now scroll the mouse wheel in the Taskbar volume icon to change the volume level."
In short: hoovering the mouse over the speaker icon and spinning the wheel changes the volume.
GIF for better understanding, stolen from here.

Nothing happens when I spin the wheel, volume remains the same.
It works if XMBC is fully closed
It works if the option "Disable Scroll Window Under Cursor" is enabled

There is no interception configured for the wheel, no profile for explorer.exe (only for firefox.exe and winrar, no other programs). Pretty default settings, only mouse button 4 and 5 are configured (both simulated keys).

This is no big deal, but the feature is still very useful.

XMBC Version: 2.20.2
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: Win 11 22H2, all updates (04.03.2023), build 22621.1265
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech M500
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): enough from everything (i7-12700, 64GB Ram)
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): probably updated from some beta of 2.20
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): its a new feature in 22H2. The answer is probably yes, after installation of 22H2 :)
How long have you used XMBC?: very long
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: Win: german with swiss regional settings, keyboard is swiss-german

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: see above

Let me know if you need any details and or if I'm unclear.

Thanks, Mike
phil
Site Admin

Re: Win11 22H2: change volume with mousewheel on taskbar

Post by phil »

Makes sense.... I mean, Ive been able to do this for years using XMBC but now Microsoft make it standard, XMBC breaks it... LOL!
But That will be another exception for windows that cant handle the scroll messages being redirected!
Windows 22H2 is going to be a bit of a nightmare for this I think - so much is changing. I do have one machine on the latest build but its not a daily driver, its my travel device, so I don't use it much / notice these issues.

I'm afraid your going to have to expect such issues, especially with pre-release/insider builds/brand new significant updates etc. But thanks for letting me know (keep doing so!) - it means I can probably do something about it before the majority of people are using it!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
hello_world
New User

Post by hello_world »

I'm with you :-)
Latest annoyance of 11: I always switch off the search box in the tasksbar. 5 minutes ago I got some update and guess what, its back. No big deal, just switch it off once again, but I know I will get some phone calls form my parents asking how to switch that thing off...

As I said, no big deal. Maybe I'll order a new keyboard with volume keys on it, problem solved :-)
(Any recommendations? Mechanical switches preferred, CH layout needed, full keyboard)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, no recommendations from me on keyboards - but I'd welcome them too... I'm still using an ANCIENT MS digital media pro keyboard. Its comfortable and reliable (not mechanical keys though) and it has the media keys... Most of the letters have worn off the well used keys though - luckily I don't look at the keys when typing generally!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

hello_world wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:49 pm Latest annoyance of 11: I always switch off the search box in the tasksbar. 5 minutes ago I got some update and guess what, its back. No big deal, just switch it off once again, but I know I will get some phone calls form my parents asking how to switch that thing off...
Yep, just got that same update 22624.1391 and same search re-appeared, and switched off! Why do they keep doing this lol.

The good news is I've fixed the volume icon scrolly scrolly (for the next release)...
Interesting that it just pops up a textual "tool tip" type UI rather than the normal volume OSD UI which is still there for the media key volume up/down... Again WHY do Microsoft do these good things and then make them bad. Did the programmer that did it not know about the standard volume OSD...

I guess they had the same trouble invoking the OSD as I did when using the {VOL:xx} simkey tags - but a tool tip type message, that changes size depending on the width of the volume percentage text LOL!!!!... Eughh
--[ Phil ]--
hello_world
New User

Post by hello_world »

phil wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:46 pm The good news is I've fixed the volume icon scrolly scrolly (for the next release)...
Interesting that it just pops up a textual "tool tip" type UI rather than the normal volume OSD UI which is still there for the media key volume up/down... Again WHY do Microsoft do these good things and then make them bad. Did the programmer that did it not know about the standard volume OSD...
Cool, thank you very much. I really appreciate it!

We have some SharePoint issues at work, everyday I wonder what did the devs smoke or what drugs they take. Either take less or much more. Or did monkeys code this piece of software? (nothing against monkeys, maybe it would be better).
But this is probably the new reality (and sorry for the rant)...

Anyway, thank you very much!