Is there a way to run X-MBC as Administrator from its Settings?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Lores
Dedicated

Is there a way to run X-MBC as Administrator from its Settings?

Post by Lores »

This is a rhetorical question, because I know currently there is no such option, but I posted it nevertheless- for future new users seeking such info

So here is the proper question: could such option be added, so that a user would not have to revert to e.g. setting up a LNK file with

Properties > Shortcut > Advanced > Run as administrator

leading to XMouseButtonControl.exe file?
Last edited by Lores on Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to run X-MBC as Administrator from its Settings?

Post by phil »

I don't think you can do that "optionally" its either marked as requires administrator or not in the manifest.
But why would you want to run as administrator - it shouldn't be required as XMBC is a signed keyboard accessibility tool, it can interact with elevated processes even though it, itself is not running ad administrator?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Lores
Dedicated

Post by Lores »

phil wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:36 pm [...]
But why would you want to run as administrator - it shouldn't be required as XMBC is a signed keyboard accessibility tool, it can interact with elevated processes even though it, itself is not running ad administrator?
As I have just put that theory to test- indeed it can*

After having been using Autohotkey and HotheyP, experiencing issue of lack of communication between them on out-of-the-box settings and other programs, I was simply not expecting this. And so first thing I did after installing X-MBC was to check is elevation status. And seeing NO, I made procurement to change it to YES

* However: this is true only for the installed version, right? Portable one runs non-elevated - thus, as I have also just tested this, is unable to interact with elevated programs
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes this is only true for the installed version, because in order to be allowed to become an "accessibility tool" it needs to be launched from the program files folder (or the \windows\system32 folder LOL) - this is a documented issue in the portable version (there are others too, like Win+X simkeys not working!) - see the readme file in the portable distribution...

Unfortunately Microsoft's requirements to be a keyboard accessibility tool are rather strict (and pricey with the code signing!)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)