Can XMBC co-exist with Logi Options+ ?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
iieeann
New User

Can XMBC co-exist with Logi Options+ ?

Post by iieeann »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.19
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: 11
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech MX Master 3S
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): 48
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: 3 yrs
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

Just bought a MX Master 3 mouse. XMBC can only configure 5 of the 7 buttons of MX Master 3S. The other 2 buttons at thumb rest and shift wheel can only be configured with Logi Option+. How to make both softwares to work together, so that XMBC will control the 5 buttons without being disturbed by Option+ ; while Option+ only take care of the rest 2 buttons?
Now it seems like Option+ will overwrite XMBC setting on the 5 buttons.

Thanks
Last edited by iieeann on Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Can XMBC co-exist with Logi Option+ ?

Post by phil »

Yes it can, you just need to set the logitech software to send the "default" messages for the buttons you want XMBC to see. The logitech software runs closer to the hardware/driver so it will see the buttons before XMBC (which uses Windows mouse hooks to see the messages).
The default windows actions for 4th and 5th buttons are back/forward, so usually setting Logitech software to that works.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
iieeann
New User

Post by iieeann »

Thanks for the reply, it seems working so far. I hate using Option+, it is extremely bulky with limited function (no macro), even the Microsoft mouse app is better than Option+. Too bad the extra buttons are exclusive where only Logitech has access to them.
iieeann
New User

Post by iieeann »

Hmm, after using for few days, i would say it does not work perfectly with Option+. The side buttons are working like 85% only, the button may not respond 15% of the time when it is clicked. Before Option+ was installed, the side buttons worked perfectly. In Option+ the side buttons are configured as "forward" & "back" at default.

In XMBC the side 4th button is configured to simulate {LMB} as 7 Sticky. There is no problem to start it, but about 15% of the time it won't stop the sticky when being pressed again (have to press 1 or 2 more times to stop it). Side 5th button is configured as 3 During to repeat {LMB} 6 times, and almost 100% of the time it will not stop at 6 times and just continue to click (need to click 1 more time to stop it). Only Wheel button is working perfectly so far.

The side buttons settings are working perfectly when i use my microsoft mouse.
iieeann
New User

Post by iieeann »

I uninstall Options+ and the side buttons are working perfectly. Reinstall Options+ and the same issue repeated again. I need Options+ because without it the stupid middle wheel will become smooth turning without grid and uncontrollable when scrolling fast. Options+ can turn the smooth feeling to ratchet feeling (i don't understand how logi does that) and disable the acceleration.

Now i find out the side buttons are not friendly to low delay repeating click. Adjust the "auto repeat delay" to something 80ms will work better. This results to slower repeating click but that is the price to pay when mixing Options+ and XMBC.

For another side button which i set it to repeat {LMB} 6 times, in earlier post i mentioned it will not stop at 6x and will just proceed to click indefinitely. It was earlier set to {WAITMS:50} between click. Set it to 100ms and now it will stop at 6 times; but another problem arises where it needs to press 2 times for it to start. After executing the macro, the next click on it will has no response, i need to click 1 more time for it to start again.

Having XMBC to co-exist with Options+ is not flawless, the user needs to compromize with macro speed to make them work together. I guess this would be the case unless someone revives Hydramouse; or Steermouse extends the support to Windows platform.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Can XMBC co-exist with Logi Options+ ?

Post by phil »

Wow the smooth scrolling/notched scrolling is software controlled? that must mean there is some funky hardware in that mouse (rather than physically doing it as other mice (Logitech included).

My G604 still has a mechanical switch (looks like a normal button but its not) to turn on/off the smooth or notched scrolling - there is no software involved with that and no need to leave Logitech software installed (note: Its Logitech G-Hub rather than Options+), although I have left it installed and it seems to be working mostly - I don't notice an missed clicks - but then my setup is very simple compared to many!

I'm not sure what else to say - it seems you understand whats going on and that if you need to have options+ running, there isn't much more I can suggest!
--[ Phil ]--
iieeann
New User

Post by iieeann »

Yes, MX Master 2 wheel is still mechanical (inside mechanism i mean, still software control), but 3 and 3S are magnetic to reduce wear and tear and size also smaller. I think big chunk of the cost of this expensive mouse went to the R&D for this wheel control mechanism.

I just started to use AutoHotKey, so i choose a shortcut key that only take effect with the specific window to simulate mouse clicks. Then i map the shortcut key with Options+ software. In other words XMBC is not in use to control those buttons. The outcome is much better now, if Options+ + XMBC has 10% chance of miss click; Options+ + AHK is only <1%. Yes it still happens occasionally (like once in an hour) but much more usable. With same method also i can use AHK to map the 2 special buttons on 3S.

AHK can map to the mouse button directly, but i haven't tried that, it is very powerful but not friendly for beginner. I get help from the forum for the scripts.

Another problem i observed past 1 week with Options+ + XMBC is that when the buttons are used too many times (or when the miss click count has reached certain amount), the mouse will turn weird. Either one of the two things can happen: (1) the mouse movement becomes shutter and the response is slow. (2) the mouse movement is normal but all the mouse buttons are not responding anymore.

Above scenario has 100% chance to happen i can reproduce it after intensive use. Restart the PC and everything will be back to normal.
iieeann
New User

Post by iieeann »

After 1 month using Options+ + AHK, the 3S mouse is working good. Everytime when this combination is required i need to untick the apps profile under XMBC; and tick them again when other mouses are in use. 3S is used in office and other mouses are used at home and outgoing. The 3S shuttering and non responsive buttons issues are no longer happening with this setup.

In overall, I would say Options+ does not cooperate properly with XMBC. Do not use them together.

Is there a way for XMBC to detect the existence of specific mouse as a requirement to activate the profile? This would benefit users with multiple mouses. I will no need to tick/untick the profiles if this can be done.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

iieeann wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:11 am Is there a way for XMBC to detect the existence of specific mouse as a requirement to activate the profile? This would benefit users with multiple mouses. I will no need to tick/untick the profiles if this can be done.
Unfortunately not, XMBC hooks into the windows mouse message queue, and there is no information in there as to what device the messages come from.
--[ Phil ]--