Cannot get simulated keystrokes to work (Solved!)

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
BlueChers
New User

Cannot get simulated keystrokes to work (Solved!)

Post by BlueChers »

Hey

I just recently bought a new mouse, a gaming mouse with 5 button + tilt (Erazer x81050), I wanted to use the extra buttons to keybind inside World of Warcraft.
My problem is that XMBC (1.52) is set to simulate keystrokes with the tilt wheel, but it doesn't get recognized inside the game, outside in a text document, webbrowser etc. the simulated keystroke works fine.

I have tried to add the keystrokes spec. to WoW inside XMBC and the default, but it doesn't work, mouse button 1 to 5 works fine, so ive tried to set simulated keystrokes to one of those buttons as well, again, works fine on anything on the desktop, but inside the game the keystrokes don't work.

I really hope someone here can help me out :)

btw.: I'm running Windows 7 (32bit)
Last edited by BlueChers on Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Cannot get simulated keystrokes to work

Post by phil »

This should like a similar issue another user is having when using simulated keystrokes with the mouse wheel.
I believe it is a timing issue, in that the wheel does not send a unique down + up message like a button, so the default "during" option where the key is essentially help down as long as the button is does not work.

So I suspect the key-up is happening too quickly after the down, for the game to recognise. I have already though of a few ways to improve this, but without delaying xmbc (and therefore all mouse input) I think it will have to be done in another thread. I will let you know when I have something to try.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
BlueChers
New User

Post by BlueChers »

Thank you for the quick reply, I have tried to play around with the delay (ms) options, but nothing seem to get it to work.

I look forward to hearing any news about this and to hopefully get it resolved.

p.s. I tried to see if the tilt wheel was working inside different game (with a simulated keystroke) and that worked out just fine?
Maybe the problem isn't with XMBC but with the game itself (World of Warcraft), but that does sound kinda strange to me, cause I know other people have been using XMBC or similar programs to keybind mouse buttons.
BlueChers
New User

Post by BlueChers »

Problem is solved!

I feel rather dumb actually, turns out I need to run XMBC as adm. for it to work inside WoW, ive only been running Windows 7 for a couple of days, so I am not that use to the whole adm. thing (coming from XP).
Anyway, I am sorry I wasted your time, but really glad that the problem is fixed, now I can finally enjoy your great program (spend the entire morning trying to solve this! :D )

Thx again!
phil
Site Admin

Re: Cannot get simulated keystrokes to work (Solved!)

Post by phil »

If you are and administrator, then XMBC should run as admin by default on Windows 7.
I know that in Windows 7 UAC prevents even admin accounts running as admin by default, offering you the UAC dialog, but XMBC works around this by using a system service (XMouseButton Launcher) to launches XMBC at startup (logon) with admin privileges. So unless you exit XMBC and then manually run it from the menu, it should automatically be running with the required privileges.

Of course, if your account is a standard user, then you will have to manually run as admin and enter the required account details at the elevation prompt.

Thanks for the feedback anyway :)
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)