Programming additional buttons on Logitech Gaming mice

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
StephenWhite
New User

Programming additional buttons on Logitech Gaming mice

Post by StephenWhite »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Installed or Portable version: Portable
Windows Version: Windows 11 Pro
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech G602/G604
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Dell Precision 7770 / i9-12950HX / 64GB RAM
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): n/a
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): n/a
How long have you used XMBC?: ~10 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: EN-US

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

Hello -
As a Flight Simulator enthusiast, I initially starting using XBMC about 10 years ago to customize my Logitech M705 mouse buttons to better support my FlightSim environment -- it works beautifully, THANK YOU PHIL! -- and I'm now looking to see if I can XBMC to replace the functionality of Logitech G Hub, specifically shift states, which I cannot do with G Hub because I have the MX Keys keyboard and G Hub only supports gaming keyboards, but don’t get me started on that rant, or my other one about Logitech Flow, which does not support gaming mice… <insert cuss words here> :x :x :x

So having said all of that, I am not particularly a fan of Logitech but unfortunately, I haven’t found many good alternatives so I’m sort of stuck with them.

I have the M705 because at the time when I bought it, it was one of the few with the tilt-wheel that would work with XBMC. I also use the MX Master 2S as a travel mouse because it’s darkfield sensor works on any surface, and my primary mouse right now is a G602, though I am looking to get the G604 to get the tilt-wheel back.

I have figured out how to get multiple shift states working great, but I haven’t been able to figure out how to use any of the additional programmable buttons above #5 on the G602, which has 11 programmable buttons, and there are 15 on the G604, so I'm motivated to find a way to get this working.

I am aware that XMBC is currently
only able to support 5 buttons primarily because the Windows mouse hooks (that XMBC makes use of to intercept the mouse button messages) only support up to 5 buttons.
However, I have seen a few posts where people have reported getting “all of the programmable buttons“ on gaming mice, like the Logitech G602 and G604, working with XBMC, but there weren’t any details on how they did it. I suspect it might be a combination of using G Hub to map these extra buttons to some key sequences that are used by XBMC to then execute a macro..? Maybe I'll start looking there.

Can someone please give me some guidance on how to do this? If I can get this to work, I’m happy to compile this into some sort of support article to share with everyone.

THANK YOU!
phil
Site Admin

Re: Programming additional buttons on Logitech Gaming mice

Post by phil »

That's an interesting one - I have a G604 here right now, and I haven't been able to do anything with the extra buttons - well not though XMBC - but then I haven't really sat down and tried too much either yet!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)