Misleading label "Disable Scroll Window Under Cursor"

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
davydm
New User

Misleading label "Disable Scroll Window Under Cursor"

Post by davydm »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: 11
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech g305
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): I'm not sure, but at some point, this was an opt-in to have scroll-window-under-cursor, which became an opt-out.
How long have you used XMBC?: years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: english, US

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:
The Options pane on setup has a checkbox "Disable Scroll Window Under Cursor" which is a little misleading - it should read something like "Disable XMBC Scroll Window Under Cursor" (or perhaps something a little better). I _want_ windows to scroll under my cursor, which has been built into windows since, iirc, version 10, so of course I left this unchecked. However, the XMBC logic to scroll windows under the cursor isn't perfect - there are some "modern windows" apps which don't scroll (eg PowerToys), and, recently, I've been on a long bug-hunt with Mozilla around Firefox not scrolling properly: search bugzilla•mozilla•org for issue 1798014 (I'd link it, but this board won't let me, which is really frustrating). It never occurred to me that it could be XMBC interfering as I hadn't chosen to disable scrolling windows under the cursor!

Perhaps even this option shouldn't be available on win10/win11, since it's handled at the OS level now and configured within the standard windows settings ("Scroll inactive windows when hovering over them") - and I think it's on by default?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Misleading label "Disable Scroll Window Under Cursor"

Post by phil »

It is by default on Windows 10 and 11 but XMBC was stared 25 years ago where it was bit default. I'm afraid, to keep up with all windows developments is rather tricky but generally I try. You are of course correct technically but the options are to disable XMBC's built in option (in general settings) to scroll window under cursor.

I guess this is the problem of trying to maintain compatibility with windows XP through 11 - your always going to get some inconsistencies, and maybe the defaults could be tailored to the windows version but that will take some thinking and time (which I'm struggling to fins at the moment!).

It would be good to have a list of windows that don't work - I will try to check power toys (as I use that on 10/11) so I can add them to the internally excluded list - but that's not always easy/possible to maintain especially for applications that are not available for free!

PS: You can add links and pictures after 4 or 5 posts (this is to try and stop the spam bots flooding the forums with links and rubbish!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
davydm
New User

Re: Misleading label "Disable Scroll Window Under Cursor"

Post by davydm »

yeah, please don't get me wrong - I really appreciate XMBC - it would just be nice to have the label clarified as disabling XMBC's variant of the logic - and even nicer if it was defaulted off on win10 + win11 since the native implementation (finally) works - I used to rely on XMBC for this, and I'm grateful for all the years that it provided this sane behavior (: