Logitech G-Hub 3/23 Update Causing Issues

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
fredz19

Logitech G-Hub 3/23 Update Causing Issues

Post by fredz19 »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Installed or Portable version:Installed
Windows Version: 21H2 Windows 10 Pro
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech G604
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): i9-9900K 3.6Ghz, 32GB Ram
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): I don't think so.
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): I don't think so.
How long have you used XMBC?: Over a decade!
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English Querty.

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

The issue is that Xmouse is not picking up the side-scroll buttons firing after Logitech's G-Hub update that installed on my machine yesterday 3/23. The issue is not constant for all layers/programs. There does not seem to be a way to roll G-Hub back a version either. For an example, I have 1 program where XMBC picks up the buttons firing in the default layer, but not the layer I activate with CTRL (Layer 2). I have another program where it doesn't pick them up firing at all. It's somewhat sporadic.

I think the issue occurred shortly after Logitech's Ghub update, as it did reinstall itself yesterday. It's really throwing off my groove as I've come to rely on these layers... I love XMBC!
phil
Site Admin

Re: Logitech G-Hub 3/23 Update Causing Issues

Post by phil »

I don't know off the top of my head the direct answer to this, but maybe the Logitech update has changed how it behaves - does it, for example, have its own layers type functionality where combining the CTRL key changes the mouse behavior? XMBC itself hasn't changed, so I guess the culprit is elsewhere

I havn't used the Logitech suite for some time - I might have to give it a go again (not sure if GHub with my aging G9 but perhaps with the newer Logitech mouse on the laptop. I'll have to have a play - I'm away this weekend though (and in the process of changing my ISP/hosting which is quite an adventure!) so it wont be immediate I'm afraid.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
fredz19

Post by fredz19 »

Phil,

Yeah, the latest GHUB software is definitely the issue. I am able to un-install the software, install an old version, then it works again. GHUB has another feature that doesn't work well.... I'm supposed to be able to disable automatic updates by un-checking a box in the settings, and it still updates itself after un-checking the box... So, my fix of trying to roll back the software version is not a very good one. I'll be honest, I don't really like Logitech, other than their physical design of the mouse. They are one of the only gaming mice I've found that offer side-scroll in the mouse wheel which I really wanted.

Logitech offers layering, but only a single layer, and it's a special Logitech modifier that you have to set to a button on the mouse. I don't use it really because it's awkward to push a modifier + command on the mouse. I like to program modifier keys so that 1 hand helps the other (if that makes sense). Basically, I don't like to press a modifier and command using the same hand. If I had a Logitech keyboard I'm betting that the modifier would be more useful and would work with a keyboard. Probably not worth buying a Logitech keyboard to try it though haha.

My mouse is the Logitech G604 and has 15 programmable buttons. I use XMBC to control every button on the mouse that I can, because it offers the layering. I don't need to tell you how useful that is...

So, the side scroll buttons still work after the GHUB update, it didn't completely break them. I just can't use XMBC to intercept them after the update.

Sorry for the long reply, I'm quite the fan-boy of XMBC and have been using it for over a decade. One of my favorite bits of software on my computer. Hope all is well with you and yours in your corner of the planet :)
fredz19

Post by fredz19 »

Phil,

I'll buy you one of these Logitech G604 mice if you're interested in dabbling with this issue further. Logitech hasn't been any help.

XMBC doesn't seem to intercept side-scroll if a modifier is pressed, thus disabling layering on these keys through XMBC. The side scroll buttons on the mouse still work and XMBC will still intercept, just not with a modifier pressed. Something in their update must have caused the issue but it's not obvious enough to them that something changed for them to do anything about it.

Anyway, it is a nice mouse, side-scroll is one of the reasons I use Logitech gaming mice; I've not seen many other gaming mice that have that feature. Anyway, let me know if you want to try the mouse, I'll get one for you :)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm not sure that having the exact mouse will help much - I mean, I have Logitech mice throughout - all with side scroll and no problems here (but then I never install the Logitech software - tell a lie, Ive got Logitech "gaming software" installed on my desktop (for the old G9) but that does not seem to do much anyway!

I haven't got the Logitech software installed on my laptop for the M720.
But if you need the software installed, and it causes it to not send the usual tilt (side scroll) messages, then I doubt there will be anything I can do about that - because all I do is listen to the messages coming through the standard Windows mouse hooks - and if they are removed by Logitech, then I don't see how I or XMBC can do anything. And I figure you have probably already done all you can to try and change the behavior in GHub without success.

I had a look and see if GHub supports my M720, it doesn't - I did install it but it made no difference (mouse tilt still works as normal) so I guess you need one of the supported devices to get anywhere - but as I said, I don't know that having one will actually enable anything to be done about it!
--[ Phil ]--
fredz19

Post by fredz19 »

Phil,

I'm going to send you a donation sufficient for covering the mouse & shipping to purchase the mouse. You don't owe me anything, keep the raw donation and skip obtaining the mouse if you like. I've loved this software for over a decade, you're probably right in that it's all a GHUB issue.

There's a good chance I'm missing something and I'm wrong about all of this... lol

I am curious if modifiers, while pressed, are causing the side-scroll buttons not to work like standard mouse buttons after the update. Based on what you're saying that seems like it could be it. Which again, a GHUB issue. Their software is kind of dumb, I've never liked it. There's a way to disable automatic updates, literally a check box that does nothing, the software will update automatically regardless. Not my favorite software for sure.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thanks very much - I will buy the mouse (just ordered it - should have it on Friday) and let you know if I see the same problems.
I just found that my G9 buttons are going (again) and I will be replacing the micros witches - because I haven't found a better mouse than my prized G9 - but you never know, the G604 may turn out to be better (for me!)

You never know, it may even give the the ability to look at supporting more buttons (but please don't get your hopes up - Ive tried unsuccessfully in the past - and every manufacturer does it somewhat differently!)
--[ Phil ]--
fredz19

Post by fredz19 »

You're welcome!

I'll try not to get my hopes up... but your layering ability on a mouse is insane... Why gaming companies don't offer more of this is beyond me.

I'll warn you, GHUB is a bit of a bear. Not that fun to use/setup. Once you do get it setup it's really just fine. It's just not that intuitive to learn. I use XMBC to control any button I can on the mouse and then I use GHUB to program the rest, I use all buttons on my mouse.

One thing I do is program one of the buttons on my mouse to push/hold Alt+Shift because this modifier is a bit clunky to press by hand on my keyboard. What that does is allows me to push that modifier on my mouse and program various actions to keys on my keyboard (Shift+Alt+1 for example, awkward to press by hand unless the hand pushing Shift+Alt is your mouse hand).

Hope you enjoy the mouse! Cheers!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi, a little update... I got the mouse now - and installed GHUB but it all appears to be working (the scroll/tilt left/right is still being sent to and seen by XMBC). Ive also tried using XMBC's layer modifier keys (CTRL) to activate layer 2 - and that works, with the tilt/scroll left/right still working.
The only thing I have noticed, unlike my other mice, the tilt does not auto repeat (that's not necessarily a bad thing though, just different!)
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Aha... Today, after a reboot, the tilt/scroll left/right is no longer working on the G604... So its done something post reboot I guess... The I run up GHUB to have a look, switch to the profile page, press tilt a few more times and suddenly its working again... How strange...
--[ Phil ]--
fredz19

Post by fredz19 »

Phil,

I had noticed something today as well...

My primary program (Tekla Structures) hates a specific mouse feature available not only in your XMBC but many other programs as well. That feature is the ability to scroll the window that is under the mouse cursor. In Tekla structures specifically it lags the program up when this feature is enabled.

Long story short, I noticed that this was on under the settings (that apply to all profiles) in XMBC and I went and disabled it... When disabling this in XMBC I noticed that my side scroll buttons worked even less than they do with it enabled. I lose layering with the GHUB update, but I lose everything without this enabled (or at least this is what it seems like). I probably need to do more testing on this to really lock it down but this is something that came up today.
fredz19

Post by fredz19 »

Phil,

Under global settings (impacts all profiles) if I disable the scroll window under mouse cursor in XMBC software or if I choose to disable scroll window under cursor by profile XMBC does not intercept the side scroll buttons at all. I still have issues with it intercepting them with that feature on and I'm using a modifier, but I lose all of it when I disable that feature through XMBC for some reason. Just did some more testing to see if I could get it to behave consistently. All profiles, no side interception at all with that disabled.
fredz19

Post by fredz19 »

Phil,

Would you try and disable "Make scroll wheel scroll window under cursor" to see if you can get XMBC to intercept side scroll at all with that turned off? See snapshot.

In any/all profiles, XMBC will not intercept side scroll if that setting is turned off for me. Alternatively, it will not intercept side scroll if I disable scroll window under cursor on an individual profile basis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I can try, although I can see no connection between that setting and this problem! But it seems I am suffering the same problem as right now, the tilt isn't working at all again... It does seem rather random - sometimes it works and sometimes it does not - but more often it does not.
--[ Phil ]--
fredz19

Post by fredz19 »

Phil,

It's definitely hard to say what Logitech has done in their update to cause this because from what I can tell at this point is that XMBC is simply struggling to intercept these keys after the update, not that they do not work. From what I can tell, the keys seem to work fine other than they aren't being intercepted.

Another thing I find odd... really odd... is the scroll window under cursor, and how this might relate. You see, I keep that setting off, and I'm aware of every program on my computer that offers this feature. This is because it impacts the software that I use daily for work. But all of the sudden, it's on again? I'm going to do some more testing/theory-crafting on this one. But somehow, I feel like this is connected.

If you want, I have everything needed to remove all logitech software, and to reinstall a version that does not have the original issue. So, you would be able to install a version that worked well to compare to what's now buggy. It's a temporary snapshot back to what it was before there were issues because the software will eventually update itself, even if you tell it not to. Anyway, if it's something you want to play with more, I can share all this with you.

[Edited] Here is the link/instruction I found online to help me revert GHUB, it has download links for an old version of GHUB and everything. I also used the Revo Uninstaller as he showed, it did a good job of a complete removal. With the version he provided at this link, I literally have no issues with my mouse at all. https://csmacro.com/downgrade
Last edited by fredz19 on Tue May 17, 2022 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.