Keys are not assigned after using portable version :(

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
pavtommy
New User

Keys are not assigned after using portable version :(

Post by pavtommy »

XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Windows Version: 10 (19041.572)
Mouse Information (brand/model): A4Tech Bloody P85
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): ryzen 7 1700, 16 gb ddr4
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): The problem arose after moving the folder of the portable program to another directory
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): n\a
How long have you used XMBC?: 1 month
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: RU & ENG

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I downloaded the waste version of the program and assigned the 4 and 5 mouse keys to the "P" and "Z" keyboard buttons. Everything worked just fine. I moved the folder with the program to another directory, it did not affect the work of the program.

After a while, I decided to change the mouse keys 4 and 5 to different values ??on the keyboard, but that didn't work.
I uninstalled the portable version of the program, but mouse keys 4 and 5 continue to duplicate "P" and "Z".

I downloaded version 2.19.2 of the program from your site, installed it with removal of all settings, but it also did not help.

I uninstalled the previously installed program as well as the portable version of the program, but mouse keys 4 and 5 continue to duplicate "P" and "Z".

I checked the autoruns app for autoloading, no XMBC app found.

This is some kind of magic, there is no application, but the mouse buttons continue to simulate the "P" and "Z" on the keyboard.

I have not installed any other applications for emulating buttons.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Keys are not assigned after using portable version :(

Post by phil »

Hi,

Not sure what this means
I downloaded the waste version of the program
But none the less.... This is certainly weird. XMBC can not setup button assignments when it is not running - so are you 100% sure its not running when you still see Z and P mapped? Look in task manager, on the "Details" tab and look for "XMouseButtonControl.exe" (its easiest if you sort by Name!)

If it is there, then it is still running (and the icon should still be in the system tray - perhaps hidden under the ^ grouping button). You can right click it in task manager and select properties to see where the file is running from.

If its not there then I really don't know what could be happening. The only thing I am sure of is that if XMBC is not running, then XMBC can't be mapping the buttons to Z and P! There must be something else doing it??!!

Normally you can disable XMBC by turning on scroll lock (if you have that key on your keyboard). Does it make any difference if scroll lock is on or off (if it does, that also would suggest that XMBC is indeed running somewhere still).

I cant think of what else to suggest at this stage.

Edit: I notice the mouse you have can be programmed - are you absolutley sure you havn't setup something in the mouse itself (I don't know the mouse but a quick google suggests you can setup macros to run when you press buttons)?

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
pavtommy
New User

Post by pavtommy »

waste version - portable

Now I have installed the program again. If I kill the XMouseButtonControl.exe process, then the mouse keys still emulate Z and P.

I'm 100% sure the program is disabled, but that doesn't help.
I reported earlier that I did not install any other programs for this.

Does your program change any registry settings?
Besides running the program, is there any service?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

No, there is no service, there are NO registry keys changed (with the portable version) - there are some registry entries with the installed version, but only to record the path to the settings file and such like. All XMBC settings are stored in the XMBCSettings.XML file and only influence XMBC (while it is running).

The way XMBC works is to install a Windows Mouse Hook to monitor for and intercept button presses. This hook will only last as long as the program is running. When you exit XMBC the hook is removed. If you terminate XMBC or XMBC crashes/locks up, the hook is removed (by Windows) as it will not respond in the given timeout period (200ms by default).

So XMBC intercepting buttons can *only* run when the program is running. So if the program is not running, it cant possibly be XMBC causing this! I cant say any more, only what I know of how Windows and my application work.... I have been doing this for almost 20 years and have never heard of such a strange case - I'm at a loss as to what else it could be!

I know you said you hadn't installed anything else, but because it makes no sense to me, the only thing I can think of is that something else is doing it! And in my experience, people often miss the most obvious things (including myself!) so its always worth double checking!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)