Control Media with Wheel only when Button is hold at same time

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
herzblyat
New User

Control Media with Wheel only when Button is hold at same time

Post by herzblyat »

XMBC Version: 2,19,2
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Mouse Information (brand/model): China-Model ("Gaming Mouse"), LeftMouseButton, RightMouseButton, Scrollwheel with MiddleMousebutton, Double-Click - Button (acts as 2x LMB), Thumb Button 1, Thumb Button 2, DPI button
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Ryzen 2700x, 16gb DDR4
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: today
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: German

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

Hi Peeps,

im trying to control my media volume by scrolling the mouse wheel, but Only if at the same time a button is pressed and held, so i want scrollwheel to act normal (XMBC should not intercept), but if i press e.g. Shift and scroll the wheel, then it should intercept and change general media volume

Is this possible?

Im deeply sorry if this was already asked, i was not able to find a solution on your forums or on google.

Thanks in advance, I love you to the moon and back
phil
Site Admin

Re: Control Media with Wheel only when Button is hold at same time

Post by phil »

Hi yes this is possible - two methods depending on exactly what you want...

If by "button" you mean a mouse button, then you can use Button Chording (I wont describe this in detail as I don't think its what you need)
If by "button" you mean a key (as I think is the case since you mentions SHIFT) then the route to take is layers which i will describe in more detail below...

1. Make sure you have (at least) two layers allowed (Settings->General->Number Of Layers) - the default is 3 I think, you can have up to 10 but you only need two for this method.
2. In settings - on the "Modifier Keys" tab, enable modifier keys. For activate layer 2, select "Shift" from the drop down and leave the key accessor set to None.
3. Back on your default profile in the main screen, select layer 2.
4. Set wheel up to Media Volume Up and wheel down to Media Volume Down.
5. Apply the settings.

Now when you press SHIFT, XMBC will switch to layer 2, and the wheel will be remapped to volume up/down.

I hope that helps/works - any questions, let me know.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
herzblyat
New User

Post by herzblyat »

Thats exactly what i needed, thank you so much!

2 Follow up questions:

1) can i also somehow choose keyboard 2 keys instead of 1 to activate the layer? like, e.g. CTRL + SHIFT activates Layer 2?
2) since ive been using your app for years now (even though in the OP i said since "today), do you have a paypal donation set up? Time to give you 1-4 coffees, depending on where u live :D

EDIT, nevermind question 2, you should get 10 euros soon :) thanks so much for your program
EDIT2, 10gbp :D
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

1. Yes you can choose most combinations of keys as layer modifiers. Probably best to select something not commonly used in combination with other mouse buttons - for example, bear in mind that CTRL+Scroll is often used to zoom in/out etc, so using just CTRL would not be a great idea.

In the dropdown, you can select SHIFT+CTRL, and if need be you can also add any "normal" key too, like sh** + Z or SHIFT+CTRL+A etc. etc.

2. Yes got it thanks :)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
herzblyat
New User

Post by herzblyat »

Thank you so much, and yes, CTRL is propably not the best idea - i went with Shift-Alt now :)

Have a nice evening my friend! And Thanks again