Possible to make mouse buttons for specific websites?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
alttab
New User

Possible to make mouse buttons for specific websites?

Post by alttab »

XMBC Version: 2.18.8
Windows Version: win10
Mouse Information (brand/model): cobra
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc):
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?):
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?):
How long have you used XMBC?: years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: qwerty

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:
Can I make the buttons change for different websites. Normally I use Firefox, but I have other browsers available. For example on https://www.espn.com/watch I'd like to use my mouse to mute and to do frame advance. Thanks
phil
Site Admin

Re: Possible to make mouse buttons for specific websites?

Post by phil »

Its a more tricky one, but should be possible.... But only if the browser window title differs (includes the page name in it). The problem is XMBC uses the EXE name which is obv. firefox.exe You can also choose (in window specific profiles) to put the window title/caption in - so as long as your browser includes this (firefox does), it should work, but detecting the active page is tricky and sometimes problematic.

You need to create a window specific profile, and including the caption in the detection (tick the box to the right of the caption in the find window dialog). You also need to enable regular expression matching to perform more advanced pattern matching in the caption I think. In the caption field, put something like Watch ESPN.* (the .* is a regex wildcard for "any number of any characters"). You can tailor your regex as you wish.

NOTE: Normal window specific profiles (where you can select the sub-window) don't work well either because the content of an HTML5 page is all one window, even the video elements - as far as Windows is concerned.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
alttab
New User

Post by alttab »

Appreciate the answer. I'm pretty inexperienced so will have to study your answer. Is there a chance you might give an example (if you can access the page)with this? https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/ ... 421d132e3d Thanks.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I can access the page but cant play anything (as I'm in the UK I'm pretty sure I can't subscribe either!)
I have created a profile you can try importing - the regex for the title match is a little different than I was thinking as the title starts with the show/event name....
Watch ESPN.xmbcs
Try the attached profile and see if it works, learn from it, tweak it as needed etc.

Regards,
Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
alttab
New User

Post by alttab »

Aha. Yes, that would make it difficult to open that page. Both of the sites that I think about using customized mouse commands have to be logged in from the USA. Both of those sites, give very few keyboard or mouse shortcuts, so that would be useful. I'll be experimenting with the download. Thanks!
alttab
New User

Post by alttab »

Actually, just this discussion got me looking at the settings better and I could get the commands I needed within Firefox without disabling anything Firefox needed. I wasn't using the side buttons or mouse wheel click. As an experiment I tried entering a different command on the ESPN setting from the model I downloaded but it didn't override the Firefox settings. Anyway, for this site I just needed left, right arrows and media mute. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Ahhh, the profile I sent (called Watch ESPN) is being overridden by the firefox one (it goes down the list in order top to bottom and matches firefox and stops - so does not get to the ESPN profile)... I forgot about that!

If you *want* the ESPN profile, move it up the list above the firefox profile (use the "UP" button to do this)

Otherwise, glad you have got something figured out and working :).
--[ Phil ]--
alttab
New User

Post by alttab »

Interesting. Thanks! I gave it a try. When I was moving ESPN up , using the up command, it sometimes said I needed to enter a number? It still allowed me to move it up though and stayed there. I moved ESPN up to 2 position but the command alt-tab on button 5 wouldn't override the Firefox setting. I then tried unchecking Firefox but then buttons 4+5 wouldn't do anything.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Oh sorry my fault (again), edit the profile, I generated it with waterfox not firefox as I don't have firefox on my laptop (Ive always preferred waterfox since it first came out and fully supported 64bit which at the time firefox didn't!).

Anyway, the profile I sent you has therefore got the wrong details in it (EXE name) in it too.
Edit the profile (double click it) and change the process name from "waterfox.exe" to "firefox.exe" I think that's the only change you need to make - I'll check in my desktop shortly (as I have firefox on there!).

I was clearly not thinking last night!

EDIT: I just tried it and it doesn't work - firefox isn't putting the caption in the window title at all - its blank - so its not going to work - I have no idea why firefox is doing it differently from waterfox (its supposed to be built from the same codebase). But that pretty much means (as far as I can tell) that firefox is never going to work with the caption detection :(

Chrome & Edge appears to suffer the same problem (the window title is always "chrome legacy window")

So it looks like that way of doing things is dead - I don't know if there is an alternative, looking at the window in detail, it looks like the caption/title is on the parent window rather than the target one - so it may be possible to get working but will take a code change in XMBC :(
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Got something that appears to work...

See attached profile for Firefox and one for Chrome (and the new Edge).

Again, move the to the top.... I moved mine up and didn't get any issues with it asking for numbers - can you screen shot that if it happens again and send it over?
--[ Phil ]--
alttab
New User

Post by alttab »

The Watch ESPN (Chrome) works! I can do two different sets of commands on ESPN or regular Chrome. I couldn't get the Watch ESPN (Firefox) to work as the regular Firefox settings take over. It did ask for a number but I just pressed OK. Chrome did the same thing but worked fine. BTW By chance, yesterday I was looking on Amazon for a portable trackball and was reading the reviews. One complained that he couldn't change his mouse settings so I said....check out x-mouse! Also I'm going to check out that Waterfox browser. Thanks!