Mouse became naughty

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
viza

Mouse became naughty

Post by viza »

XMBC Version:
Last

Windows Version:
Last Win 10 x64

Mouse Information (brand/model):
Logitech M500

Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?):
Maybe from previous or click chord assigning to left button

Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?):
Possible too

How long have you used XMBC?:
About 5 years

What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?:
LT / RU

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

Sometimes the mouse does not want to grab files or, instead of dragging and dropping, performs other actions. Also, if you want to resize windows, sometimes you can’t do this - either not grab the corners or the edges. Accuracy of focus is lost. If you want to highlight one letter in a word, you need to select the adjacent one on the left to highlight the desired one.

Profile is attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
viza

Re: Mouse became naughty

Post by viza »

Yes, this is a left button chord bug :(
Do not assign anything to the left button!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Not surprising, if you have a chord on the left button, you have to expect this, especially with your mouse cursor speed set so high (to the max).
Chording introduces a lag - because XMBC needs to delay the click until it knows if you are executing a chord or not. It does this by either waiting for the button to be released, or (as you have "Unblock when the mouse moves" turned on) waiting for the cursor to move by more than 5 pixels.

Once it knows if it is a chord (or not in this case) it re-injects the blocked button down message.

The problem is that by the time the cursor has moved 5 pixels, it is no longer where you clicked it - and the higher the cursor speed, the chances are it will be further away. It attempts to move the cursor back, and inject the original click but thats a little rough (it may be better in the next release but still this could be a problem).

I generally recomend against using chord or button held on the left button for this very reason.

Its not clear from your answers above - are you using XMBC 2.19.2 (last doesn't really help me) Same for Windows - is last the Win 10 April 2010 upgrade (2004) or 1909? Please be as precise as possible when filling in those answers! More so, did you have this chord setup in the previous version - or is that new? You seem to suggest it is new - if so, then that will explain the difference.

It may be slightly better in the next version, but this delay where XMBC waits for the chord is ALWAYS going to be a potential problem - there is simply no way to avoid it whilst running at the level XMBC runs (and not in the driver which might be more accurate).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
viza

Post by viza »

phil wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:32 am Its not clear from your answers above - are you using XMBC 2.19.2 (last doesn't really help me) Same for Windows - is last the Win 10 April 2010 upgrade (2004) or 1909?
Yes,
XMBC 2.19.2
Win 1909
But I do not think that it matters.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

No I don't suppose it will matter, its just good to be clear.
I think the rest of my response should explain what is going on and why chording causes lag. Other than the hope that 2.19.3 will help (a little bit) did you understand what I was saying - does it make sense?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
viza

Post by viza »

I think, you have to disable left button chord option at all. Better add more than 1 chord for others buttons.
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Never! ;) Don't block chording for left button, I use it much, also they way of some users that lately mentioned it lags for them (and I think unfortunately for me too :()
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD