Touchpad Scroll Triggers Paste while XMBC is Running

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
weebee
New User

Touchpad Scroll Triggers Paste while XMBC is Running

Post by weebee »

XMBC Version: 2.18.8
Windows Version: Windows 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): VICTSING Bluetooth Mouse
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Multiple PCs (Dell/Lenovo,Core i5-6200u/Core i7-8550U), touchpad: Synaptics
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: 5+ years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I have noticed that whenever I have XMBC running, a 2-finger scroll on my touchpad randomly pastes clipboard data. It never happens once I exit XMBC. It's quite scary because sometimes I don't even realize it and later discover sensitive clipboard data was pasted onto a document or pdf file I was reading. I have noticed this issue on different laptops I have used it on. Is this a known issue? What could be the reason for this?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Touchpad Scroll Triggers Paste while XMBC is Running

Post by phil »

It is not a known issue. I certainly haven't noticed it on any of my laptops....
Has this always happened or something new?
Have you set any of the buttons in XMBC to paste? Maybe something is triggering a button press while scrolling?
In theory, the only way XMBC can paste anything is sending PASTE (CTRL+V) on a button mapping or using simulated keystrokes commands.

It might be worth turning on Debug logging (in the settings -> updates & logging tab).
OK and apply that - XMBC will now be logging in great detail.
Reproduce the problem, then send me a copy of the log file. Please make a note of the time that the problem occurs so I can search the log around that time and see if there is any indication of a problem.

A copy of your entire XMBC settings may be useful too - to try and reproduce the issue here. Use the Save Profile button to save a copy (that you can attach to a PM or an email to me).

NOTE: Debug logging will turn off automatically next time XMBC runs, but you should turn it off once you are done as it makes for a rather large log file!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
weebee
New User

Post by weebee »

Yes, this has always happened as far as I can remember. I have not set any mouse button action to paste. The paste action also happens when the mouse is not being used, that is, just simply doing a 2-finger touchpad scroll triggers it. The strange thing is that it is somewhat hard to reproduce. It does not simply happen whenever I'm scrolling, only sometimes. I was eventually able to reproduce it and I have pm'd you additional information. I hope it helps. Thanks!
weebee
New User

Post by weebee »

Thanks Phil for helping me figure out what the issue was! Windows/XMBC will interpret a horizontal (2-finger) touchpad scroll as a mouse wheel tilt action. I apparently had set my wheel tilt left and right to copy and paste in one of my layers without realizing it and had linked that layer to my active layer! So whenever a horizontal scroll was detected on the touchpad, it would trigger the wheel tilt right (paste) action. And many times, this would happen even during a seemingly smooth and unbroken vertical scroll on the touchpad because the slightest "horizontal slip" during the vertical scroll could still trigger the tilt action. So the problem is now fixed by removing the previous tilt actions.
murilocalegari
New User

Post by murilocalegari »

Hi!

Sorry for reawakening this post after a few years... But I'm facing some sort of a similar issue.

I usually use the XMBC in my laptop with an external mouse with some configurations on intercepted buttons for Mouse Button 4 and 5 and Tilt Wheel Left and Right. The thing is: when using my touchpad with Microsoft's precision touchpad drivers, a slightly horizontal scroll (two fingers) in my touchpad triggers the tilt wheel left and right of XBMC. Is it possible that I can configure XBMC to ignore gestures from the touchpad?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, no its not possible. XMBC uses Windows mouse hooks which do not give any indication of the source device of the message. It has no way of knowing if the message came from a mouse, touchpad or anything else!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)