Button chording new options ideas

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
maxoku
Committed

Button chording new options ideas

Post by maxoku »

Besides adding button held to chording menu I have two more ideas:

First is to start chording not immediately, but after some time (e.g. 500ms) while holding. It could be accomplish to add chording to held menu, but I guess it could get too messy.
It could just get a new option to set after what time chording would be activated.
What I want to accomplish with that?
E.g. when I set chording in right click in browser profile. I would like to have context menu when I normally click right mouse button and don't see gray plus, but when I hold longer I would like to see the gray plus and don't have a context menu when I release button.
Eventually to block default action after some time while holding.

Second is to block default function only after a chording action has been activated.
E.g. In Desktop/Explorer when I set chording in right click. I would have normal function of right click button: context menu, selecting or dragging with context menu when I click or hold right mouse button. But when I click other button or scroll (that has set a chording action) I would like that default function blocked so the context menu wouldn't appear after release or selecting when I move the mouse.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Button chording new options ideas

Post by phil »

maxoku wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:18 pm Besides adding button held to chording menu I have two more ideas:

First is to start chording not immediately, but after some time (e.g. 500ms) while holding. It could be accomplish to add chording to held menu, but I guess it could get too messy.
It could just get a new option to set after what time chording would be activated.
What I want to accomplish with that?
E.g. when I set chording in right click in browser profile. I would like to have context menu when I normally click right mouse button and don't see gray plus, but when I hold longer I would like to see the gray plus and don't have a context menu when I release button.
Eventually to block default action after some time while holding.
So basically delay chording activation for some time - WHY, what is the point? Delay or no delay, the chording will only be activated when another button is pressed so whats the point of adding a delay - if you release the button anyway (or move the mouse more than a few pixels), you get the default action of that button.
maxoku wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:18 pm Second is to block default function only after a chording action has been activated.
E.g. In Desktop/Explorer when I set chording in right click. I would have normal function of right click button: context menu, selecting or dragging with context menu when I click or hold right mouse button. But when I click other button or scroll (that has set a chording action) I would like that default function blocked so the context menu wouldn't appear after release or selecting when I move the mouse.
Urm, thats exactly how chording works right now. You get the default action UNLESS you press another button while the chord button is held down?! And if you move the mouse, the chording is canceled (assuming you enabled that option)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

phil wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:12 amSo basically delay chording activation for some time - WHY, what is the point?
I have written precisily what effect I want to have, read carefully:
maxoku wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:18 pmE.g. when I set chording in right click in browser profile. I would like to have context menu when I normally click right mouse button and don't see gray plus, but when I hold longer I would like to see the gray plus and don't have a context menu when I release button.
I don't mean like chording when I press another button with held right mouse button (when red plus appears). I'm talking about the right click only here (when only gray plus is present).
phil wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:12 amUrm, thats exactly how chording works right now. You get the default action UNLESS you press another button while the chord button is held down?! And if you move the mouse, the chording is canceled (assuming you enabled that option)
Not exactly. If I block the default action then the default action is executed only on release. And when I don't block the default action it still works when I use chording with another button.
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

You are probably lazy like me, but I would understand everything better with some quick images you can make to illustrate your vision. Perhaps Phil understands you well but my imagination fails this time a little.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

Kukurykus wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:08 pmYou are probably lazy like me, but I would understand everything better with some quick images you can make to illustrate your vision. Perhaps Phil understands you well but my imagination fails this time a little.
I don't really know how to do that. :lol:
Isn't that clear enough?
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Photoshop will help you. Make screenshots of current version behaviour and put some graphics you would like to see in futher release doing what you described ;) (like in the thread you did with images of cursors)
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I don't know about Maxoku but some of us don't have photoshop (imaging that!) and some of us are not graphics experts (as should be abundantly clear from XMBC the last few weeks!)
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Opening SS with Paint and trying there should be sufficient to draw simple menu by the cursor :idea:
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

It would be just easier if Phil told what he doesn't understand and I'll try to explain it with mixing text and images like in beta topic. :P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Indeed.... Lets leave it at that until I have a moment or two to look at this and even contemplate trying to understand :).
Have a good one! (B) :cheers:
--[ Phil ]--
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

I realized that the second point can't be made, cuz everything that was pressed must be realised or the cursor gets stuck. :lol:

In first I would like an effect when I disable the main action for the chord button that context menu wouldn't bother me when I release that button after holding, but still appear when I do a normal click. Like in held button when normal click gives the default action, but while holding it I get another, but in this case chording that changes actions of the rest of buttons while being hold.

Or just to make it simpler just block (don't execute) the default action when button is held (use it only on normal click), so it would have only the chording effect and show the gray plus (even if deactivated by part option in settings).

And in case that I don't want to change all button actions for chording, but I changed them for current profile to add option to keep that changed action while chording. E.g. in browser profile I put copy/paste actions for 4th and 5th button, but with chording it's going back to default actions (back and forward). I would like them to remain those actions even while chording by default.
Of course that option wouldn't be available for main button and if set in profile action would be chording then it would just use the default action of that button.

Additionally an option to use an action from the default profile. Along with held button in chording I think it would be complete. :mrgreen:
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I think I may have finally figured out what you mean - but Im not 100% sure - but Ive definitely noticed a bug in there...
Right now, the chord will only be activated after another button is pressed, so no matter how long you hold the right button, if you don't move the mouse or press another button the default action will run... but that default action SHOULD be the one you set for that button in the CHORD window.

However, the bug... If I set the right button to "Chording" and in the chord setup, I set the right button to Media MUTE, then if I click and release the right button, I expect MUTE. If I hold the right button but don't click anything else, I expected MUTE when eventually releasing the button.... Right now, it does what I expect unless I hold the button down longer than the "unblock after", when I release I get both MUTE and right click (don't know where that came from but its wrong - it should not be sending a right click!)...

I'm not really sure how that fits in with what you are saying but definitely the bug needs fixing (maybe in 2.19!).
--[ Phil ]--
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

phil wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 amRight now, the chord will only be activated after another button is pressed, so no matter how long you hold the right button
Then how it's called that state when I hold the button and have a gray plus? I'm talking about this.
if you don't move the mouse or press another button the default action will run
Yeah, but I want it wouldn't run. The move mouse option I have disabled, cuz I don't like it. I would like that default action go only if short normal click, not when held. That requires an addition option I'm asking for.
but that default action SHOULD be the one you set for that button in the CHORD window.
Yeah, have I said it shouldn't or something?
I hold the button down longer than the "unblock after", when I release I get both MUTE and right click
I don't use that option either, but you certainly should fix that bug. :lol:
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

phil wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:09 am However, the bug... If I set the right button to "Chording" and in the chord setup, I set the right button to Media MUTE, then if I click and release the right button, I expect MUTE. If I hold the right button but don't click anything else, I expected MUTE when eventually releasing the button.... Right now, it does what I expect unless I hold the button down longer than the "unblock after", when I release I get both MUTE and right click (don't know where that came from but its wrong - it should not be sending a right click!)...
And what do you get when you unblock the chord by moving the mouse?
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

1. Button held in chording
2. Delay chording or block action on button held
3. Use action of that button from the current profile
4. Use action of that button from the default profile

Any questions? :P