XMBC 2.19 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC 2.19 Beta

Post by phil »

Yes it should go red, because you ARE running a chord. The fact that your chord does nothing is not an issue - the chord IS running.
Please tell me the inconsistencies now because its only going to wind me up if its something I can easily fix/change and is then stuck in 2.19 any annoying. I would at least like to know so I can decide what to do with the information!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Let's test it first and see if others like it. Mine concept is more like request. I will create today dedicated topic for and you one day decide what you think about it, maybe the day you'll nest 'Held' into 'Chording'.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

Cursors has broken in this beta and they're getting skinny like before beta 13 while having that overlay. I also noticed that you changed dots to small red ones idea. It was good in beta 13. 🤔

Dots are vanishing after executing last held action, so it's good.

About red plus when there is a default action. I think it shouldn't be red if there is no action assigned.
Nevertheless in beta 13 red plus appeared after second click of button that didn't have assigned action. Now it appears after first click.

It would be nice if there was an option in chording to use assigned action of that button from current profile. But then I realized that there could be a held action and it doesn't support that.
Something to do list for later, add options to use main actions from current profile or default profile.

Btw, what changes there were in the template? I haven't found anything anything. The was also nothing in translation tool, so I guess only fixing that we translators already fixed? :lol:
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

I had to start new topic yestarday, but waited for comments to last changes, so I'll be continuing now here.

Cursors has broken in this beta and they're getting skinny like before beta 13 while having that overlay.
I'd say they have been fixed, because in Beta 13 they had additional white shadow, now they are normal.

I also noticed that you changed dots to small red ones idea. It was good in beta 13. 🤔
It is because previous version got too distracting big circle to indicate start of process. btw did you know you can turn off indicator in Pointer Settings (one/three states) but leave only cached images for assigned action? I agree though it doesn't look too good when you turn off red dots indicator and then still see them all even when only 1 or 2 'Held For' actions are maximally assigned. It is because Phil wanted to keep only four cached icons, however for final effect I hope this number could be increased of few more to make it more friendly for user...

Dots are vanishing after executing last held action, so it's good.
Personally I would like also light green we see for last 3 dots was applied also to first one or second two if ever they had to be only ones avialable. But it will make XMBC won't be lightwight ;)

About red plus when there is a default action. I think it shouldn't be red if there is no action assigned.
That what I said in one of my previous posts. I always remember what I assigned to buttons I use, but that my be confusing for someone who can't remember certain button has been bound by some action or not.

Ps.1 BIRTHDAYS Congratulations to: phil :birth:
Ps2. Injtsvetkov and me are now Forums Fanatics :cheers:
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

Kukurykus wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:59 pmI'd say they have been fixed, because in Beta 13 they had additional white shadow, now they are normal.
I didn't have any white shadow in beta 13, cursor was the same. If it won't be fixed then I'll have to turn it off completely. :?
It is because previous version got too distracting big circle to indicate start of process. btw did you know you can turn off indicator in Pointer Settings (one/three states) but leave only cached images for assigned action?
Well I like it more than 3 dots. And I know that, I requested it after all. :lol:
It is because Phil wanted to keep only four cached icons
It doesn't have anything to do with 4 states, the red dots are just ugly generally in my opinion.
Ps.1 BIRTHDAYS Congratulations to: phil :birth:
Ps2. Injtsvetkov and me are now Forums Fanatics :cheers:
Weren't you already for some time now? And I see a higher rank gives you an insight in Phil's important days? :lol:
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Question about shadowed cursor and Phil's Answer answer.

I understand not everyone likes the same, but that circle was terrible for my eyes. I proposed something tiny, like little points that would not take our attention, but again something telling us the process was started, so maybe red points should be even smaller than now (if possible)?

Yes, the Fanatic I noticed few posts ago. Now seeing second of us got it too I couldn't miss to say it :)
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

I don't use shadows. Nevertheless I noticed it looks better on dark background, but on light it's skinny and ugly.
I understand not everyone likes the same, but that circle was terrible for my eyes. I proposed something tiny, like little points that would not take our attention, but again something telling us the process was started, so maybe red points should be even smaller than now (if possible)?
Well red dots takes my attention and I don't think making them smaller would change that. :lol:
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

I don't use shadow for cursor too, and I didn't know something like it exists. Problem started when extra icons came with some of lastest Beta's, but what is weird I remember there wasn't shadow with first Beta offering icons.

Maybe that will be best if 3 red dots will show only as indicator, so when you hold your button longer they are going to vanish completely, I mean only green dots will show up one by one on empty space?

Actually I proposed it, but I can try again:

Indicator: . . .

1 x dot: o
2 x dot: o o
3 x dot: o o o

Additionally 4 chaced icons can be increased to 6 in sum, so when we assigned only first dot or first two, the indicator would display only 1 / 2 red dots (which would vanish as well), so green dots progresively would take their places.

6 cached icons wouldn't be problem I think. The only what is problem still is when there are 3 actions and 1st or/and 2nd are disabled. That obviously gives 2 another cached icons, actually 2 more if green dots had properly be showed in their spots.

EDIT 1: The best solution that came to my mind to not going beyond 8 cached images is making like it:

Indicator: . . . (always 3 dots, even if less are enabled)

Then it disappers to be replaced by any of 7 possible combinations (I mean progresively growing):

o
. o
. . o
o o
. o o
o . o
o o o

EDIT 2: To make it even simpler, I'd like Phil to disallow running action for 2nd or/and 3rd 'Held for' options when previous are not assigned acctually they still could be enabled (if we wanted assign some action too), but they would not work if previous ones were disabled.

To make it more simpler, without enabling first action we couldn't enable 2nd and 3rd, but if we already assigned some actions to them and then disabled 1st one, those actions would be remembered, however couldn't be edited until appropriate previous action(s) reenabled.

At the end we would finish up with:

. or . . or . . . (depending how many options - next to other starting from first - were enabled)

o or o o or o o o (surely they wouldn't show all at one, but one by one if next one enabled as well)

This way we always knew how many actions we can expect (thanks to amount of dots in indicator), and we never had problem if starting or middle 'Held for' options were disabled. Additionally it gives only 6 cached images, while those who don't like red points wouldn't have problem with them, so even had not to disable partially to completely appropriate Pointer setting ;)
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

Kukurykus wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:24 pmI don't use shadow for cursor too, and I didn't know something like it exists.
Shadows are enabled by default in Windows, so if you haven't disabled them then probably they are turned on and you haven't noticed.
Problem started when extra icons came with some of lastest Beta's, but what is weird I remember there wasn't shadow with first Beta offering icons.
When I first installed beta cursor was getting skinny with every overlay, though it was only with default cursor. I was about to report it to Phil, but he stated already that he will improve them and he did with beta 13. With that beta cursors haven't changed with any overlay I tested. Now they're being skinned like some colors (black) were made transparent.
Indicator: . . .
I'd like far more an empty dot that was before, but it doesn't bother me, cuz I don't use it at all.
1 x dot: o
2 x dot: o o
3 x dot: o o o
Yes, that would be better without red dots. That was before, maybe with different color, but that doesn't really matter. The rest of ideas are rather too much work and don't give much.
I'd like Phil to disallow running action for 2nd or/and 3rd 'Held for' options when previous are not assigned acctually they still could be enabled (if we wanted assign some action too), but they would not work if previous ones were disabled.
Then I would need to move all actions. Additionally if I would like to test something I would need to move them back and test something on empty position and move them again to check if previous version was better or whatever. So you wish for me a lot of annoying work. :lol:
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Loll, so you feel the same with 3 red points that me with empty dot :lol:

At least I gave solution that may satisfy also you if Phil will rethink it, I mean leaving red dots only as indicator but resigning from for green dots phase, so like I described at the very end of my last post.

You had to record your skiny cursor to show me what is that, maybe I can't experience it...

Yes you are right about last comment. So there is another solution. Once Phil made swaping layers, so why not do the same with 'Held for' options? Sometimes I do it too for testing or when I start using something offen than I used. Now it could work also when first 'Held for' option(s) have been disabled.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Wow I don't look for one day and I get a ton of posts to read :) (thanks for the happy birthday - everyone can see that - its at the bottom of the main forum page (for all users not just me) :)).

I need to see this "skinny" cursor too because I'm not seeing it or maybe just not noticing it. When I created my video, I used screenrecorder chrome extension to grab it (and then I had to convert the output with VNC to MP4 but that might just be my incompetence!).
I did find a problem with "monochrome" cursors like the I beam when typing - they work differently and therefore its not so simple to make them colored (for grey/red + or dots) because its no longer monochrome, but this should not apply for the default cursor - and the I beam cursor at least looks better for me now (although does get this shadow I don't understand)

Maxoku, are you using windows defaults or have you changed the cursors at all from windows Default (large/high contrast, custom cursors etc)? And what DPI are you running (as it may be relevant).

I have noticed that additional shadow gets added (but that is surly the opposite of "skinny") - I can't figure out why that is. Its like windows is adding extra shadow to transparent pixels :?: but I don't see any significant difference between beta 13 and 14 here?

I can remove the red dots while green is progressing. I'm loathed to make the red dot/blank circle an option at this point a) because its more work and b) because I want feedback from more than 2 people before making any more changes. Perhaps I should have said that last time but I quite liked the small red dots over the bigger empty circle too! At the end of the day if people don't like the modified cursors, they can be turned off and it will be as it was in 2.18.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Oh, I just found a big issue... If you use the mouse cursor size slider in Windows 10 - all bets are off unless its at 1 with the default "white" cursor.
Maybe this is the problem you are seeing Maxoku (Can't remember what Windows your running)?
--[ Phil ]--
Dolmatov
Committed

Post by Dolmatov »

I do not use functions with "points", so it is difficult to say what is optimal.
I think it’s worth leaving a convenient option for the developer and focus on releasing a stable version for the new year.
After that, look at the reviews of all users and plan to save / change the display in a few months or later. In the absence of mass complaints from users with one-time reviews.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK Think I have found the problem with the "skinny" icons. At least Ive found a bug. Fixing it makes it better here (although I wouldn't say skinny, I'd actually say the problem was the opposite of skinny - fat cursors - with additional blackness around the edges of all non-monochrome cursors).

I'll remove the red dots from the green progress and push out an update for you to check out.
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

Yes, I think that will be good step to remove red points from green dots progress (not the red dots indicator though), since it doesn't look good when not all green dots are enabled but red points remains visible.

This way more people who hated red dots can be satisfied they are gone while those who liked them like me at least keep them as indicator.

Complete solution is to have indicator that tells you how many Green dots (one by one only) are enabled.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P