XMBC 2.19 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Re: XMBC 2.19 Beta

Post by Kukurykus »

Maybe first empty dot has something to do with stroked cursor? I remember we had no this problem with previous version of button held, so when you used 3 progresively overlaying dots?

...it's how I imagined it happens - dinamically. If not, but by loading overlay icons I understand why you would like to keep 4 combinaitions. I think you can have still 4 maximally if you use these overlays:

. . .
o . .
o o .
o o o

(like I mentioned previously, red points would be half smaller than green dots, which would be filled).
Still there would be no difference for user if some 'Button Held' options were disabled with this version.
You may also think if instead of red dots, dark green circles wouldn't be better to be filled by light green.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Windows 10 x64, Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 8GB,
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, Intel SSD 179 GB HDD
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'll try this in the next beta and see what people think. I cant help but feel though that everyone will have their own opinion on whats better so this could get messy!

Like this:
Cursors.mp4
EDIT: No the first empty dot is nothing to do with the cursor - Its a result of fixing something a few versions ago - I think Ive made it a little better but there is only so much I can do. Turing off cursor shadows in the windows mouse control panel seems to make it better... but I think its a bit better now anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Kukurykus wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:26 pm . . .
o . .
o o .
o o o
I like that idea, but I think it would be best to show (at first) as many dots as the number of active 'held' options (no matter if the first and/or the second are skipped). Otherwise seeing 3 dots (at first) when only one or two 'held' options are active might be confusing.
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sigh... Did you not read my post above (and if you did, what bit of it did not make sense)... I cant work out on the fly how many dots to make etc. because these cursor overlays are NOT dynamic, they are pre-generated/cached (4 images) and at that point XMBC has no idea of how many actions are disabled for each possible button held configuration (and more to the point if button held is even used or not). I don't want to make 20+ cache images for all possible combinations and it cant do it on the fly as I'm worried about resource usage.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Maybe I wont change it after all if it's going to be confusing!
--[ Phil ]--
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

I was here earlier when you didn't updated your post of .mp4.

I watched it now and I love it! It's exactly how I described it!

If that is possible you can replace current version to this one.
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

injtsvetkov I'm happy you like it. I think it won't be confusing. Simply when someone doesn't have more than 1 - 2 Button Held options set at the time then the only first 1 - 2 red dots convert to green colour.

The 3 red dots is more like sign of 'Button Held' feature, so like plus for 'Button Chording'. It also indicates the 'Button Held' was assigned and initiated.

For me that is cool. Maybe one day that can be somehow upgraded but this version will be fine for now :)
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

That's just my opinion. I'm not saying "don't do it"! About the resource usage - this is my biggest concern too, so no more than 4 images, I think we all agree with that. I just don't see much of a difference between showing (at first) 'one bigger dot' or 'three smaller dots', because in both cases that does not indicate how many 'held' options are active on that mouse button. However if it shows 3 dots, the users using only 1 or 2 'held' options will see this 'o . .' or 'o o .' , which doesn't look good to me compared to the way it is now. But that's just me :) and sometimes it could be better to not listen to me :lol:

I have another idea but I don't know if it's gonna cost more resource usage. What if the dots disappear 200 or 300 ms after executing the last active 'held' option? That way the users using only 1 or 2 'held' oprions will know that they don't need to wait any more. And I'm not talking about me :), I always use all 3 'held' options and sometimes I even could use fourth if I had one :hide:
HAMA Mirano
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, I see the point about releasing the dots - but in the case where "wait until physical button is released" is ticked, then the dots should stay until the button is released (as the aciton can still be ongoing until then in the case of a drag/during operation). I was going to do that yesterday but for some reason I didn't - cant remember the reason now but maybe it was a bit too complex for a less than sober Saturday evening!

Adding a fourth, fifth etc. held option wouldn't be all that hard lol (other than the mundane GUI/Settings file updates) and the extra resource used for the cursor indicators (and how would it work with more actions when I run out of space for dots)! I can add to the todo list for another version if you want.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

phil wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:30 pm OK, I see the point about releasing the dots - but in the case where "wait until physical button is released" is ticked, then the dots should stay until the button is released (as the aciton can still be ongoing until then in the case of a drag/during operation). I was going to do that yesterday but for some reason I didn't - cant remember the reason now but maybe it was a bit too complex for a less than sober Saturday evening!

Adding a fourth, fifth etc. held option wouldn't be all that hard lol (other than the mundane GUI/Settings file updates) and the extra resource used for the cursor indicators (and how would it work with more actions when I run out of space for dots)! I can add to the todo list for another version if you want.

Regards,
Phil
No no Phil, don't add more, except other people want that, but I think three is enough for 99.99% of the users in 99.99% of the cases.

I haven't thought about "wait until physical button is released" option, so I see that this is a 'no go'. Whatever was the reason to rule it out, I'm sure it was a good one.
HAMA Mirano
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

I also always use 3 'Button Held' options. When I need 2 only I think what eventually could be done by 3rd.

Additionally when I assign some actions I never do it for last 2 or first and the last one. That is confusing.

Actually now when we can see how much time passed by dots, the 4th and 5th had sense, but 3 are OK.

If they had to be added the solution is easy. The first version dots were not next to each other, with some space between them, so like is now, but what I liked more each another overlayed in some % the previous.

The idea to change current version to other is because personally I think it looks bad, I mean 1st empty dot is worse than 3 little red points in my opinion, and like I said, red plus is for 'chording', while dots for 'held'?

Other idea you proposed to make dots vanish after there are no more them and the time passed to release button for certain action could solve the problem completely. After last dot there can be default second?
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

phil wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:36 pm
injtsvetkov wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:36 pm Anywhere on the text/blank space except the line at which the marker is blinking (where you type).
As far as I can see on my Word (2016 or 2019 not 100% sure) the cursors are all custom - so I cant find any that XMBC is able to overlay. Makes it a bit difficult to check to see why your missing the three dots :(.
I tried again and here is what I found out: When I hold the cursor still the 3 orange dots don't show up, but when I move the cursor they show up like they should! The opton 'abort and revert when the mouse moves...' is disabled. I hope this would give you a hint.
It's word 2007 on win7.
HAMA Mirano
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

phil wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:42 pm
injtsvetkov wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:43 pm I found a minor bug, I have hotkeys for layers: {ALT}1 = layer 1, {ALT}2 = layer 2 .....
When I use that at the end of the SimKeys sequence (to change back to layer 1), very often the 'Alt' remains pressed after the layer has changed.
I replaced it with {layer:1} and there is no problem, but I think you should know that.
Are these global hotkeys? And what simkey method are you using?
I suspect that the layer getting changed has confused the sending of the keys so they have not been released properly. I'm pretty sure there is extra code in there for {LAYER:} such that it ensure that the key is released - I guess that's not happening if the key sequence happens to trigger a global hotkey! Much better to use {layer:} anyway - but I'll see if I can reproduce/fix at some point!
Yes, they are global hotkeys. The simkey method is '1'.
I found this while logging into a game which I haven't played for more than a year, but I'm sure that it was OK back then. So I don't know when exactly that problem appeared.
Here is what I do:
In layer 3 I've set my username and password followed by {ALT}1, so it goes back to layer 1 after sending them. I always play the game in windowed mode, but after using this Simkeys command, when I press Enter - the game changes to fullscreen and the combination for fullscreen is Alt+Enter. After using the command, if I press Alt once and then press Enter - there is no problem.
I hope you can find a way to reproduce it (if you find time to deal with it ofcourse), because my laptop at home is currently not working (waiting for the new fan to arrive) and I can only test that on the PC at work, but I'm off from work till 24.12.19 :(
HAMA Mirano
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Kukurykus wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:53 pm The idea to change current version to other is because personally I think it looks bad, I mean 1st empty dot is worse than 3 little red points in my opinion, and like I said, red plus is for 'chording', while dots for 'held'?
I see :) and since the difference between the two variants is only visual, I personaly don't mind if it's one way or the other. It just seems a bit odd to me that those who use only 1 or 2 'held' options will always see the 2nd and the 3rd points. Or maybe the three points could be closer to each other so when the first dot appears it will cover them all :roll:. Anyways, I'm OK with whatever you and Phil decide :)
HAMA Mirano
Kukurykus
Fanatic

Post by Kukurykus »

I see your point though, but 3 red points would be a sign the 'Button Held' is working with certain key.

Maybe that's idea to make them closer, so everyone's is happy. I can't decide, only Phil has final word ;)

EDIT: I have the solution! Process will be initiated with 3 red dots, but when time for first 'Held' option will be passed they will disapper as they are not needed for anything, while first green dot replace them, then if avialable also second and third will be added in a row, what do you think about it, does it satisfy us all?
HAMA Roma, Rapoo 3920P