Conflict with Setpoint? - Solved

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
vanclute
New User

Conflict with Setpoint? - Solved

Post by vanclute »

Windows Version: 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech M570
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): i7 10 GB, SSD
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English standard

I posted this on SuperUser and it was suggested I try here as well so... here I am!

I use a Logitech M570 Trackball under Windows 10. I want to simply make buttons 4 & 5 send keystrokes for a specific application. For reasons I can't fathom, the Setpoint software simply cannot do this for this application (Sierra Chart).

X-Mouse Button Control however, does it just fine. The problem is that if Setpoint is running, then XMBC won't work. If I quit Setpoint then XMBC works perfectly, but then I lose the features of Setpoint (like smooth scrolling in particular).

Any suggestions to get these to play together?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Conflict with Setpoint?

Post by phil »

Personally, while I have a lot of logitech mice, I avoid setpoint like the plague so Ive not tried recently to run both in parallel. I wouldn't be surprised they conflict but still, I wouldn't have though it would be so black and white - what exactly does not work - does XMBC not see ANY mouse buttons being pressed - or does it just not see buttons 4 and 5? Setpoint commonly remaps those buttons to do its own thing, and it used to be that you simply had to set SetPoint to send the "default" button actions which are not necessarily setpoint's default. Try back/forward for buttons 4 and 5 and see if it makes any difference.

There may be someone else here who has a better answer than me - but at a push I can through setpoint onto my machine temporarily and see what I can find (prob not before the weekend at the earliest though as Ive got a lot on at the moment).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
vanclute
New User

Post by vanclute »

Thanks Phil. Setpoint is already at its defaults so that's not an issue.

Specifically what doesn't work, is being able to make buttons 4 & 5 send F7 and F8 respectively. Setpoint itself doesn't work for this either in the specific application I need it to work for (no idea why, but those buttons just will not work in that app but work fine in others). But XMBC works great, so long as Setpoint isn't running.

I would ditch Setpoint in an instant except that without it, I don't get Smooth Scrolling in Chrome, and I really, really like it.

Again this is only an issue with this particular app (Sierra Chart) but I have no clue why. Other apps work just fine with both XMBC and Setpoint installed... so even if you throw Setpoint on your box, you won't see what I'm seeing unless you also happen to have Sierra Chart. But thanks for offering!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, I realized that. what I was getting at, is if you open the XMBC settings window, do the button configuration dropdown highlight in orange when buttons are pressed. Which ones highlight orange and which don't (if any). What I am trying to establish is if setpoint is indeed sending normal button 4 and 5 messages or blocking/changing them before they get as far as XMBC. The colour highlighting of the pressed buttons should tell us that.

If all highlight but 4 and 5 then my bet would be setpoint's defaults are not windows defaults - and in fact setpoint itself may be remapping the buttons and not passing the "default" 4th and 5th windows messages through for XMBC to see them - hence my previous speculation - this is very common in the past with setpoint (but as I said I haven't run it for a while).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
vanclute
New User

Post by vanclute »

Oh! I never even noticed the orange flashing.

So no, those two buttons do NOT flash if setpoint is running, other buttons do flash. Quit setpoint, and the buttons flash. Definitely something conflicting somehow! I'm gonna keep experimenting.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK if/when I get a moment I will try and find the button configuration for setpoint to tell it not to interfere - that used to be assigning button 4 and 5 to back/forward (or is it previous/next) - the goal to get your browser to go back or forward between pages with buttons 4 and 5 (default windows behaviour for 5 button mice with no software) and that should also then highlight the button dropdowns in the setup window.

Someone else may jump in if they have an answer quicker than I - and if you stumble across it then please let me know!
--[ Phil ]--
vanclute
New User

Post by vanclute »

Much appreciated.

I went ahead and recorded a quick video demonstrating the situation just in case anyone wanted to see what's happening. Unfortunately this forum doesn't allow external links so... I can't share it. :(
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

You need 4 or 5 posts before you can add links - so your almost there (its to stop the forum filling with spam links)!
--[ Phil ]--
vanclute
New User

Post by vanclute »

Oh also I tried setting 4 & 5 to both "do nothing" and "unassigned" and neither made any difference.

Can't post the link, and I don't think it's because of post count:

"You can’t post image, email or url links that are external to this domain."
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm pretty sure that message is down to the post count - as in you can put links to this forum in your posts but not to outside (external) websites... So it should work in your next post. Its clearly not the best error message is it - perhaps thats by design - to obfuscate the error from bots... I don't know I didn't make the forum software :)!
Or you can PM me / Email me the link and I can edit it in for you (and see it myself :)).
--[ Phil ]--
vanclute
New User

Post by vanclute »

OK let's see if it works this time!

https://www.loom.com/share/f7f60c92d596 ... 30b5a13c11

Yep at last! =)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Just tried to install setpoint on my new laptop (win10) with Logitech triathalon wireless mouse... But it installed Logitech Options instead (A whipping 230Mb compared to XMBC's 1.5Mb lol) - and that works - that is, if I assign the 4/5th buttons to back/forward it works with XMBC. So next I will have to try on my desktop with the older G9 mouse - hopefully setpoint will work on that and I can try that.

I'm wondering what options you have in "Other" on that button assignment in setpoint?
--[ Phil ]--
vanclute
New User

Post by vanclute »

Here is everything I have available:

phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Tried generic button?
I'm still failing to install setpoint here on windows 10 (then new version 6.x just seems to chain load logitiech "Options").

What version of setpoint are you using (and what version of Windows 10?)
I wonder if this will help: http://uberoptions.net/
--[ Phil ]--
vanclute
New User

Post by vanclute »

Holy crap!! Generic button did the trick! I didn't try that one since I didn't think I wanted it to behave like *anything* as far as Setpoint was concerned. Fantastic!

Oh and I'm already running Uberoptions. ;) Doesn't really do anything for me actually but it's one of the things I tried in troubleshooting this.

Thanks again!!!