Excel scroll pixels instead of rows/columns

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
miQlo

Excel scroll pixels instead of rows/columns

Post by miQlo »

XMBC Version: 2.18.8
Windows Version: Win 10 1809 17763.720 64bit
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech MX Master (generic drivers)
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Excel 365 ProPlus 1808
How long have you used XMBC?: >6 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: SWE/ENG

Is there a way to force scrolling by pixel instead of row/column in Excel with xmbc? I've tried all possible combinations with Advanced Window Scrolling without success.

Maybe introduce a setting for pixels under Advanced Window Scrolling. So to achieve what I want in this particular example one would set the properties as below for scrolling 4 pixels for each tick with the wheel.

Vertical Lines: 0
Horizontal Characters: 0
V/H Pixels: 4

Maybe two settings is needed since tilt wheels probably needs a different setting from the scroll.
Vertical Lines: 0
Horizontal Characters: 0
Vertical Pixels: 4
Horizontal Pixels: 16

Note: I have two scroll wheels on my mouse, the second wheel is seen as tilt left/right. I would like this wheel to scroll in pixels as well.

Somewhat related topic
https://forums.highrez.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 154&p=8817
phil
Site Admin

Re: Excel scroll pixels instead of rows/columns

Post by phil »

I don't think this is possible because its the way Excel does it - as in Micrsoft would have to change it in Excell and nothing XMBC can do about it.
I cant add a setting to scroll x pixels - because all XMBC can do is send scroll messages - its up to the target application how it interprets those messages.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
miQlo

Post by miQlo »

Gaah, the features Microsoft forces on you.

I have a vague memory that it was possible to set scrolling to pixels previously, maybe Win2k or around that period, but they have obviously changed it if it was there.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I think in general Windows it is possible, its called "smooth scrolling" and has been the default for as long as I can remember. I think that's probably what you are referring to.

But Excel has, for whatever reason, never respected that setting I believe. Maybe MS thinks it makes sense not to scroll half a line (maybe that does make sense in a spreadsheet) but they are of course inconstant - move grid/table views in windows will scroll part of a line.

In fact, in excel, if you click and drag the scroll bar slowly, it will move the view up/down in increments of 1 pixel but AS SOON as you release the click, it will snap back/forward to a whole line. (Same for horizontal scroll with columns). They are obviously doing this differently for a reason because it wont be easy to make it work like that which is different from the windows standard - but I don't know what that reason is (I bet its legacy but I cant answer for Microsoft :)).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
miQlo

Post by miQlo »

Ah ok, if it snaps either way it's probably impossible to fix the scrolling behaviour from outside of the app. Maybe some VBA can do it, yuck, I won't go there :lol: