Windows User Lock out

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
ackava
New User

Windows User Lock out

Post by ackava »

Operating System: Windows 8
Settings: Middle Button set to Double Click
Problem: once in a while, pressing double click on mouse, there for expecting double click, windows user is locked out, I have to login again, though the session remains on but I am locked out of a screen. I don't find anything in event viewer. Any help will be appreciated.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Windows User Lock out

Post by phil »

You mean if you double click the middle button or just single click the middle button?
Maybe there is a bug causing thr "Lock workstation" action to fire as well. Could you enable debug logging (advanced settings) and then try to reproduce this. If it is reproduced, send me the log file with all the debug and it might help me investigate this once I get home from my business trip.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I cant see anything wrong in the code with double click. So my first thought appears not to be the case.
Any chance you can enable debug logging and try and capture an example of this (be aware that debug logging gets turned off when you restart XMBC)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
giubba67
New User

Post by giubba67 »

Hello
I found this old post and I have just the same problem (Screen Lock on Double Click event, configured with a single click of Middle mouse button).

I saw that a patch was included in version 2.17 but I had this problem just with version 2.17; I tryed to upgrade to last version 2.18.8 but the problem still arise (often or very often).

Following your istructions, I activated debug logging.
My current configuration is:
- version 2.18.8, installed
- Windows 10 1703, build 15063.0, x64
- Processor Inter Core i5-7200U 2.50GHz
- RAM 8GB
- Mouse driver: Windows built-in; I have the problem with more than one mouse model (Logitech, Microsoft)
- Language and Keyboard: Italian
- Debug logs: I don't know how to attach them

I have recorded all timestamps when the problem happened during Debug Logs; I report here them, with the operation I was performing with that Middle Click (translated by XMBC in Double Click).
I noticed that sometimes the Double Click event is effectively delivered to the destination window Control, sometimes not.

Screen locks when in Debug log --- Timestamp - Program clicked (event delivered or not)
- 27-08-2019 16:21 - Total Commander (event delivered)
- 27-08-2019 16:23 - Total Commander (? I don't remember)
- 27-08-2019 16:52 - Foxit Reader on TitleBar (event not delivered)
- 27-08-2019 17:38 - Excel on Column separator (event not delivered)
- 27-08-2019 18:03 - Notepad on text selection (event delivered)
- 27-08-2019 18:12 - Notepad on text selection (event not delivered)
- 27-08-2019 18:45 - Total Commander on changing directory (event delivered)

I can send you Debug Logs and my current XMBC configuration.
Let me know how

Thx
Giubba
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes the debug logs may be very useful - its not something I have ever experienced so its a little difficult to diagnose here. Normally the only thing in XMBC that can lock the system is if you actually choose "Lock" as the option to perform - and its not clear to me why it would do it any other time (that ism looking at the code, it should not be possible).

If you can reliably reproduce it maybe something else we can do is for me to 0add some more logging and send you a private beta to try and figure it out.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
giubba67
New User

Post by giubba67 »

I can imagine that catching this problem is really not easy.

I have done some more experiment, taking notes of what I performed and the result.

I think the problem is mainly binded to the middle button rather than to the Double click.
Actually, I tried to change the event Double click - I associated to the Middle Button - with other events and even with the simple Left Click. Really often I obtained a screen lock.

In these experiments, I did not activated Debug logs.
Anyway, screen lock happens very often (7 or more time within 40 minutes) with all these settings:

time - Program, operation executed with middle button, event result --- Middle button setting in XMBC
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
09.51.11 - Excel, item selection, event delivered --- simulated keys:{LMB}{LMB}
10.01.14 - Excel, folder change on saving, event delivered --- simulated keys:{LMB}{WAITMS100}{LMB}
10.01.59 - Notepad on text selection, event delivered --- simulated keys:{LMB}{WAITMS200}{LMB}
10.28.01 - Excel, Column separator, event delivered --- simulated keys:{LMBD}{LMBU}{LMBD}{LMBU}
10.29.55 - WExplorer, file open, event delivered --- simulated keys:{LMBD}{WAITMS50}{LMBU}{WAITMS150}{LMBD}{WAITMS50}{LMBU}
10.31.14 - Notepad on text selection, event delivered --- single click (pressed twice by hand!)
10.32.55 - WExplorer, window close, event delivered --- double click

Still more interesting, I even set (not easy to handle...):
- Left Button -> double click
- Middle Button -> left click
and the screen lock occured even when single clicking with Middle Button; double clicking with Left Button was perfect.
Even with Middle button set to middle click, screen lock occurred.
Only with Middle button set to "Not handled" I did not get a screen lock

These tests were executed with Debug Logs on (I can send them to you); for each lock, I took a note on the timestamp of just few seconds after the lock and the operation I was executing (even if I don't feel this is important).

Anyway: I am more than available for a private beta to test, whenever you want.
Tell me how to send you Debug Logs and my usual XBMC .ini configuration. I'm going to try to send you a private message with my email address.

Thanks
Regards
Giovanni
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi,

When you ran these tests, was debug logging turned on in XMBC? If it wasnt, can you try and reproduce with debug logging and if it happens, make a note of the time (as accurate as possible) and send that along with the log file to me - It might point to where in XMBC its going wrong (if indeed it is a problem in XMBC).

EDIT: Sorry I see you do have debug logs - yes please email them or PM them to me :))

I have another test for you to try if you wouldn't mind...
If you leave the middle button as nothing (don't intercept) does it ever cause the lock?
If you fully exit XMBC, does the middle button ever cause a locked screen?

I'll see if I can reproduce here but I really don't think I will be able to this time either. Do you have any other mouse software installed (manufacturers for example, and can you confirm the driver name and version, (using Device Manager) Is it a "HID-compliant mouse" or something else?)...

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Ive just had another look at the code and the *ONLY* place that XMBC calls LockWorkstation (to lock the screen) is in the Lock Workstation action - and is surrounded by debug logging so please email me any debug logs you have, along with your XMBC profile when it went wrong if you can. (Email: phil @ high.......(same ending as the URL above!)) or zip and attach them to a PM here on the forums.

I fear though that the problem is not going to be in XMBC itself - which then begs the question is there a conflict with something else running (as only you and one other has ever reported this problem) or is it completely unrelated to XMBC (and the test above with XMBC fully exited should help rule that in/out)
--[ Phil ]--
giubba67
New User

Post by giubba67 »

Hi
I am sure that the problem is not linked to XBMC source; I can imagine that your program rises a problem in Windows event handling.

As I wrote, exiting XBMC, disabling XBMC or assigning buttons to "don't intercept", does not trigger the screen lock any more.

More: I noticed that the lock is triggered even with other mouse buttons, for example with Left Button assigned to Left Click or with Right Button assigned to Right Click.
For sure the problem is only triggered by XBMC, not inside.

The question is: which is the event/problem/conflict triggered by XBMC? Why just with so few people?

I'll send Debug logs, my notes, configuration and other data on hw and drivers by email, asap.
Thanks
Giovanni
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm sorry, but as I said, the code calls LockWorkstation() in one place and one place only. As far as I am aware (and I do have over 16 years experience with this software) It is not possible to lock Windows simply by intercepting/blocking/redirecting mouse buttons and quite frankly, if 2 or 3 people out of over 500,000 users have a problem, I would kindly suggest that the chances are that problems probably lies elsewhere - most likely a conflict between XMBC and other (not so common) software.

The debug logs may prove useful, but I fear not because after checking the code again last night, I'm pretty sure that it will not be following the code path in XMBC that actually makes the call to LockWorkstation (because the only way I can see to get to that call is if you actually choose "Lock Workstation" in the dropdown. But lets wait and see what the logs do say.

I await the email.
Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--