New Profile Goes Missing!

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Sarah_125
New User

New Profile Goes Missing!

Post by Sarah_125 »

XMBC Version: 2.18.8
Windows Version: 10 Home
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech MX Anywhere 2
How long have you used XMBC?: 7 Years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English QWERTY

Clear description of the problem:
Hello all,

I've been using XMBC for years on my desktop computer, without issue. I recently bought a laptop, and decided to try bringing the profile over from my desktop. So, I saved the profile on my desktop, then took the file over to the laptop. On the laptop I used 'Load Profile' and pointed to the new xmbcp file. The profile loads and works perfectly, with the name of the profile appearing at the bottom of the XMBC window. The problem, is that as soon as I close that window, the profile reverts to the default one (which basically has no information stored in it yet). When I reopen the software window from the task tray icon, the profile is set to default again!

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software - no change. I have tried making manual changes to the default profile, and these changes are kept, so in theory I could manually go through everything and set it up that way, but it would take a long time.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you

Sarah
phil
Site Admin

Re: New Profile Goes Missing!

Post by phil »

Hi Sarah,

First question, are you using the installed version of XMBC or the portable version - the portable version may have this problem since the changes in 2.18.8. If you are using the installed version however, I don't understand why it wouldn't work - it saves the previous settings file in the registry and should use that next time XMBC runs.

In any case, there is a solution that may work - find the settings file on your desktop (its basically trhe same as the XMBCP file but the "root" settings. It is called XMBCSettings.XML and should be (in the installed version) under your user folder...
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl

Copy that XMBCSettings.xml to the same folder on the laptop and that should work.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Sarah_125
New User

Post by Sarah_125 »

Hi Phil,

That worked perfectly - Thank you!! I'm definitely using the installed version. I don't know what could be causing this....maybe something on the laptop conflicting with it? Mind you, I am trying to turn the laptop into an exact replica of the desktop machine, with all the same software/settings/preferences etc. So, there really isn't anything on the laptop that is not already on the desktop, except laptop-specific software from Dell.

For your information the machine is this one: https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/la ... op/bng7719 Actually I got mine from Amazon, where the only difference was a large saving in price, and Windows Home instead of Pro.

Thanks again for the help!

Sarah
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Glad it works, and a little concerned that the load profile method didnt - I'll have a play and see if that works here (I think it does because Im often switching profiles as users send me theirs to test/debug issues) and Ive never had one not remember (although I confess I usually am pretty quic to switch back to my own profile - so maybe Ive missed something).

Nice laptop, I'm currently trying to decide if I need to replace my laptop (its probably about 6 years old now but it was such a high spec when I got it its still actually pretty good - with the obvious SSD upgrades over the years). That was until two weeks ago when I tripped over the power chord and broke the DC input - nothing a soldering iron and the pain of removing about 40 screws (and remembering where to put them back -I only had 5 or so left over!))... Its a sign I think that a new one is perhaps overdue!
--[ Phil ]--
Sarah_125
New User

Post by Sarah_125 »

I got this laptop because I liked the G7 chassis. A lot of the connections are along the back, instead of the sides, and this suits me. The graphics card is much better than I'll ever need, as I do no gaming. So, I would have preferred more RAM and a lesser GPU. But overall I'm quite pleased with it.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Isn't the RAM easy to upgrade on Dell's ?? (its been a while since I had one but Id be disappointed is I couldn't replace the NVME SSD and RAM - especially right now as RAM and SSD/NVME is rather cheap compared to a few years (even months) ago!
--[ Phil ]--
Sarah_125
New User

Post by Sarah_125 »

The RAM on this one is upgradable, although will require unscrewing the chassis. But still, it means forking out more money for the RAM!