Drag navigation map in firefox

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
nicomik
New User

Drag navigation map in firefox

Post by nicomik »

Windows Version:10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Microsoft or Logitech
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English and French
Firefox:67.0
X-Mouse Button Control: 2.18.7

Clear description of the problem:

Hi,

I’ve had this problem for a while (i.e. it’s not happened as a result of recent updates)

In firefox (even with addons disabled) and when X-Mouse Button Control is also running, dragging the mouse to move a map has no effect on a few navigation sites like fr.mappy-dot-com or ratp-dot-fr/en/itineraires (urls edited to be able to post them here). Zooming in and out with the mouse wheel works ok. Dragging the map starts working if I just close X-Mouse Button Control.

Other browsers I’ve tried work ok even with X-Mouse Button Control running. The map on Google Maps, for example, works ok in Firefox with X-Mouse Button Control running.

If you have any ideas on how to fix this, I would appreciate it, thanks.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Drag navigation map in firefox

Post by phil »

Hi, How have you got your buttons configured in XMBC? I just tried fr.mappy.com and it drags just fine (I'm using Waterfox here that's based on firefox (but an older version).... I'll try it at home too later with actual firefox - but I need to know your button mappings to be sure I'm doing the same as you.

Could you export and send me a copy of your profile (use the save profile button and send me the XMBCP file via PM or email)

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi, well you completely failed to mention that you had swapped left and right buttons (using the button mappings) so thats quite different from my setup.
However I don't yet know if that is relevant as it still works here with your profile (haven't tried on firefox yet - I'll do that at home as I said earlier)

But setting the left button to right, and the right button to left is probably the most inefficient way of reversing mouse buttons (and potentially the least reliable). You should use the windows setting to do this as its done at the lowest level possible. XMBC can toggle the windows setting on a per-profile basis if need be, but for the life of me, I cant find the setting in XMBC to adjust this Windows mouse setting on the default profile... It should be there so either that's a bug or I'm blind!

Try using the setting in the Window mouse control panel to switch left and right buttons (instead of XMBC) and see if that works. At least that result will give me something to go on.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
nicomik
New User

Post by nicomik »

Hi,

I didn't mention the mouse button switch earlier because when I switched it to right-handed mode (right-button=right-click and left-button=left-click) from XMBC I still has the problem.

Doing it the way you suggested (from Windows settings), and setting the main buttons to "don't intercept' in XMBC, however, has indeed fixed the problem. I didn't realise that was a more efficient way of doing it, sorry for not figuring that out.

The background is that for a long time I was using Logitech's Setpoint software because it was the only way I knew to map the extra mouse buttons to "back" and "forward". During that time I also had my main buttons reversed in Setpoint because I figured it made sense to do all the remapping in the same place. When Setpoint started to behave strangely and I realised that XMBC could do the "back" and "forward" mapping, I switched to doing all the button mapping in that instead.

Thanks for your help.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I know its not obvious, but just to explain my reasoning... If you have XMBC set to "No change (don't intercept)" then basically XMBC has to do nothing, it simple lets the message pass through. Where as, if you set it to anything else, it has to do <something>.

In this case, it has to throw away the button message and then INJECT a new button message of the type you select. So that means that it will introduce lag (probably not noticeable but the potential is there). There are also other, potentially more serious/noticeable issues - it *can* confuse some software (many games don't allow injected input to prevent cheating) and on top of that - anything that uses RAW/Direct input may see both the old (thrown away) and new (injected) message because Raw Input operates below XMBC.

So basically its a bad idea to use the button assignments to swap buttons :) =- Perhaps the manual and or GUI could make that clearer :).

Having said that, I don't see how it could cause this problem in Firefox alone - so I will look at that (when I get a chance).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--