can i activate monitor power saving clicking on the left or right corner?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
gaia
Dedicated

can i activate monitor power saving clicking on the left or right corner?

Post by gaia »

XMBC Version: 2.18.7
Windows Version: windows 10 1809
Mouse Information (brand/model): logitech 7 buttons
Computer Information:
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC?:
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade?:
How long have you used XMBC?: 1 year
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?:

Clear description of the problem:

Hi
can i activate the monitor power saving clicking with a delay on a coner of the monitor with a delay ?
for example left or right up corner?
thanks
i tried with these settings but they don't work

Site Admin

Re: can i activate monitor power saving clicking on the left or right corner?

Post by phil »

Hi, it is currently not possible to perform clicks related to monitor position only - but your idea to setup for the desktop window should work, so long as the desktop is visible (the "window" under the mouse cursor and/or the active window) and not obscured by any other window.

I just checked here and it did work as expected (I have multiple monitors so the "top right" is the whole top of the right hand monitor - far from ideal so you may want to use the region definition to define a smaller area as top right is quite a big space on the desktop, reducing the size of the area in question, for example, 0,-100,100,0 for a 100x100 pixel box in the top right (see screenshot below).

You have to be careful not to move the mouse after clicking as I believe any movement will disable/cancel the power saving mode.
Maybe this is why you want a delay? - The delay bit is not currently possible but maybe a good solution.

If that is not working (as you suggest) can you turn on debug logging (in XMBC) and then try again and finally send me a copy of the log - it may help understand why it is not working in your case.

The ability to perform actions globally depending on monitor region (no matter what window us under the cursor in that region) is already on the TODO list and would in effect be a "global/default" profile but only for a specific area/region on the screen. That may make it in to 2.19 - not sure yet as I haven't started on that yet.

This works for me:
xmbc.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
gaia
Dedicated

Post by gaia »

phil wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:10 am Hi, it is currently not possible to perform clicks related to monitor position only - but your idea to setup for the desktop window should work, so long as the desktop is visible (the "window" under the mouse cursor and/or the active window) and not obscured by any other window.

I just checked here and it did work as expected (I have multiple monitors so the "top right" is the whole top of the right hand monitor - far from ideal so you may want to use the region definition to define a smaller area as top right is quite a big space on the desktop, reducing the size of the area in question, for example, 0,-100,100,0 for a 100x100 pixel box in the top right (see screenshot below).

You have to be careful not to move the mouse after clicking as I believe any movement will disable/cancel the power saving mode.
Maybe this is why you want a delay? - The delay bit is not currently possible but maybe a good solution.

If that is not working (as you suggest) can you turn on debug logging (in XMBC) and then try again and finally send me a copy of the log - it may help understand why it is not working in your case.

The ability to perform actions globally depending on monitor region (no matter what window us under the cursor in that region) is already on the TODO list and would in effect be a "global/default" profile but only for a specific area/region on the screen. That may make it in to 2.19 - not sure yet as I haven't started on that yet.

This works for me:
xmbc.png
hi
i did what have you suggested and i can get almost my task

may i ask you a question ?
is there a way to run x-mouse portable under w7 not as administrator ?
under w7 64bit , i'm the only user and administrator
i have tried to run under administrator w10 and x-mouse changed my windows 10 system mouse preferences playing with the settings on the screenshot , can i avoid that x-mouse change my w7 mouse settings ?
thanks
Site Admin

Post by phil »

You don't need to be an administrator to run XMBC (portable or not) but that wont stop you being able to change the system mouse settings (actually they are not system setting but user settings). However, XMBC should *not* change those settings unless you tell it to do so (and you can change them on a per-profile basis - thats kind'a what XMBC is designed to do). Check the "general settings" and advanced settings tabs also and make sure its not setup incorrectly in there - in all cases, those settings are READ from windows at start up so the defaults *should* be whatever you have it set to in Windows.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
gaia
Dedicated

Post by gaia »

phil wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 2:56 pm You don't need to be an administrator to run XMBC (portable or not) but that wont stop you being able to change the system mouse settings (actually they are not system setting but user settings). However, XMBC should *not* change those settings unless you tell it to do so (and you can change them on a per-profile basis - thats kind'a what XMBC is designed to do). Check the "general settings" and advanced settings tabs also and make sure its not setup incorrectly in there - in all cases, those settings are READ from windows at start up so the defaults *should* be whatever you have it set to in Windows.

Thanks,
Phil
HI Phil
i have created a profile for photoshop to slower the mouse and the mouse wheel but switching to another application (chrome for example with another profile create for chrome) the mouse (x-mouse) kept the photoshop settings even in the other application was active so i changed the default settings and this changed my windows user mouse settings

might you please let x-mouse portable to avoid to create the registry entry highresolution enterprice?
not a big deal for me , i don't like to leave tracks at the computer i use at work
thanks Phil!
Site Admin

Post by phil »

gaia wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:09 pm HI Phil
i have created a profile for photoshop to slower the mouse and the mouse wheel but switching to another application (chrome for example with another profile create for chrome) the mouse (x-mouse) kept the photoshop settings even in the other application was active so i changed the default settings and this changed my windows user mouse settings
That is odd, XMBC should change the setting when the active profile changes. Some windows don't respond to the broadcast message telling them that system settings have changed - maybe that's what happens here (for the lines to scroll at least)... IF the problem continues, turn on debug logging and capture the problem then send me a copy of the log (ideally make a note of the time that you expected it to change settings so I can find the right part of the log and see if XMBC changed the settings or not).

NOTE: Whenever XMBC changes these settings, it changes the windows settings (XMBC defaults or per-profile settings) - that is the only way to make the differences apply!
gaia wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:09 pm might you please let x-mouse portable to avoid to create the registry entry highresolution enterprice?
not a big deal for me , i don't like to leave tracks at the computer i use at work
I'll have a look - the portable version shouldn't leave anything behind and certainly should not touch the registry - I must have missed something!
I presume its in the current user hive - what keys/values are under it (or is it an empty key)?
--[ Phil ]--
gaia
Dedicated

Post by gaia »

phil wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:20 pm
That is odd, XMBC should change the setting when the active profile changes. Some windows don't respond to the broadcast message telling them that system settings have changed - maybe that's what happens here (for the lines to scroll at least)... IF the problem continues, turn on debug logging and capture the problem then send me a copy of the log (ideally make a note of the time that you expected it to change settings so I can find the right part of the log and see if XMBC changed the settings or not).
hi
but i have found a fix , i have setup a profile for photoshop to slower the mouse speed and the wheel , and in the chrome profile ,i setup the mice speed to max and the wheel to 13 so when i swich to chrome the mice work faster
thanks
I presume its in the current user hive - what keys/values are under it (or is it an empty key)?
yes it's there , no it's not empty ,there is only the path for the log
thanks