Problem with "Media play/pause"

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
dapete
New User

Problem with "Media play/pause"

Post by dapete »

XMBC Version: 2.18.6
Windows Version: Windows 10 ver 1803
Mouse Information (brand/model): Anker TM156G
Computer Information: Core i7
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC?: yes
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade?: no
How long have you used XMBC?: 3 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English

Clear description of the problem: I have configured button 4 to "Media play/pause" but after this last update it only works when the XMBC configuration window is the active/front window. If I change to any other window media player doesn't respond. Even if the media player is the active window.

It's the same for Media stop, next and previous. They work but only when in the config window.

Media mute and volume controls work, as normal but if I switch it back to play/pause the problem returns.

With the config window in the background, the button 4 window lights up when pressed.

Is there a place to download an older version?

Thanks!
phil
Site Admin

Re: Problem with "Media play/pause"

Post by phil »

Oh dear.. I will look at that tonight. thanks for letting me know. I use these commands occasionally - normally at work so I will probably notice today if its broken here too.

2.18.5: https://www.highrez.co.uk/scripts/downl ... on=2180500
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well that's odd, its working fine here... (I'm currently using Winamp).

So I'm going to need a little more to go on.
1. What media player are you using?
2. Can you turn on debug logging in XMBC (settings->logging & updates tab -> OK and APPLY) - and then invoke the play/pause actions?
Then send me a copy of the log? That way I will at least be able to see if XMBC is sending the correct commands... It wont help tell me why the media player isn't responding to them (but then as it was XMBC that changed, I can only assume that there is something going wrong when sending the keys.

Thanks,.
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
dapete
New User

Post by dapete »

I use foobar2000 v1.3.10

The problem goes away by rolling back to 2.18.5

How should get you the log file?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I have foobar 2000 here - let me try that first.
But to get the log you will need to install 2.18.6, turn on logging as described above... recreate the problem (once logging is enabled) then send me the log file, either by PM or email (phil [@t] highrez [.] co [d0t] uk). Then I can see whats going on, but I will try foobar on my dev machine here now quickly just to see if I have the problem in there.

Once you have captured the log, you can roll back again to 2.18.5!

EDIT:
OK its working fine here with foobar 2000 (v1.3.17) too :(
There was a change in 2.18.6 relating to the way it sends keys - to make it work cross keyboard/language - it certainly shouldn't have made it worse - especially on English keyboards.

Is your keyboard a "standard" US English (QWERTY) keyboard or something funky like a DVORAK US English layout?
The log may well point me in the right direction so if you can get that for me it would be very useful - it will tell me if its sending the wrong key code for the media keys or something like that (but if that were the case, then I would expect it to fail for me and everyone else too - which is why I'm guessing a bit right now).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
dapete
New User

Post by dapete »

I emailed you the log file.

I'm using a standard US Logitech wireless keyboard.

I don't think it's sending incorrect info...more likely it's not sending anything at all when the XMBC config window is not primary.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, Got the log...

You may be right, its difficult to tell without knowing when you pressed the buttons..
It does look like at 11:41:24 you pressed the 4th/5th button when chrome was that active profile (I don't know if at this time the XMBC window was open) but the media keys were sent OK.

Ideally, I need to know the time at which you click the button and it does not work - to see if there is any button click seen by XMBC at/around that time.
But in that log, there are very few button presses logged which does seem a little suspicious/odd

Anyway its 1am here and I must get some sleep as I cant be late to work <again> :| tomorrow!

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Alannah26 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:19 am My guess, which is completely speculative, is that there is a native media control being sent quickly, and some emulated event also being triggered at a very minor delay. When tabbed in, the delay is less prominent and so sometimes they line up and pause properly.
Are you seeing this problem too? Maybe if more people are seeing it then it will make it easier to diagnose.
--[ Phil ]--