Software Stops Working After Restart

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
oldporkchops
New User

Software Stops Working After Restart

Post by oldporkchops »

XMBC Version: 2.18.5
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro
Mouse Information (brand/model): TeckNet Wired Mouse
Computer Information: HP Z Book Z3
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC?: No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade?: Today
How long have you used XMBC?: Two months
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English and QWERTY keyboard

Clear description of the problem: XMBC worked fine before I restarted the computer. Now, it doesn't work. Specifically, pressing the 4th and 5th button do not activate the commands that have been set.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
phil
Site Admin

Re: Software Stops Working After Restart

Post by phil »

So what changed - are you saying you got a Windows update today and that broke it?
If not, what did change - something must have changed!
Do the 4th and 5th buttons highlight in the settings window when you press them?
Do other buttons highlight when you press them?
Is XMBC disabled?
What do buttons 4 and 5 actually do instead of what they are set to?
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
oldporkchops
New User

Post by oldporkchops »

Thanks for your response, Phil. Here below are responses to your questions:

- So what changed - are you saying you got a Windows update today and that broke it?

I apologize. I meant the last time I checked for a Windows update was today. It's not a Windows update that causes XMBC to not function. A restart of Windows causes it.

- If not, what did change - something must have changed!

I have no idea. In the past. After a restart, I was able to manually re-apply the settings and get it to work. After the latest reboot, it doesn't work.

- Do the 4th and 5th buttons highlight in the settings window when you press them?

Yes. They get highlighted.

- Do other buttons highlight when you press them?

Yes.

- Is XMBC disabled?

No.

- What do buttons 4 and 5 actually do instead of what they are set to?

Now, they do nothing.

Before, they actually perform the required task, which is to press F8 and F9 respectively.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK thanks...
So the drop-down boxes are highlighting OK - that's important (and good) because it means XMBC is still receiving the correct messages from windows.

You said after a reboot you had to apply the settings manually - do you mean you had to re-map all the buttons? Or load XMBC? Im a bit confused by that statement.

Are you using the installed or portable version?

Can you turn on debug logging (settings -> updates and logging tab, check the box then OK & Apply that). Then go press a few buttons, including 4th and 5th. Then send me a copy of the debug log file (the whole file please) - you can upload it here as an attachment (NOTE: you need to have made 5 posts before you can add attachments) or attach it to a PM it to me here, or simply email it to me. Can you also export your profile (Save profile button) and send me a copy of that?

Hopefully that will give me some clues as to what is going on.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
oldporkchops
New User

Post by oldporkchops »

Hello Phil,

Thanks for responding. I sincerely appreciate your time taken to help me. What I appreciate is also how you explain the background info so I can better understand your excellent software.

The drop-down boxes are highlighting indeed.

To answer your question about manually applying the settings, what I meant is that every time I reboot the computer, the XMBC program doesn't work in the targeted program. However, if I delete the profile and manually create a new profile and re-map all the buttons and save the new profile, it usually works. However, that workaround didn't work this time.

With regards to the installed or portable version, I'm unsure how to tell. Could you please let me know how I can find out? Which version is better? How can I download that version?

Since I've not made five posts, I also didn't see the option to attach the Log file as an attachment in a PM. I was unable to sent it as a PM because I encountered multiple error messages about the character limit and the presence of external URLs. As such, I've emailed you the log file.

Thanks for your diligence in sorting out the issues I've been experiencing.

With gratitude,
David
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK - Thanks...
Your using the installed version (not portable) it says in the log

Code: Select all

X-Mouse Button Control v2.18.5 (x64) Startup. Commandline '/installed /notportable'
Wow, I can believe you have been "happily" using a workaround where you have to delete and recreate your profile(s) every time you stat XMBC - Thats certainly not how it is supposed to work (but I don't think that is relevant to this particular issue).

First thing I noticed, the hook timeout is a little low. This probably wont make a difference here but its wort a try increasing this just to check. In advanced settings, set the hook timeout to 1000ms OK/Apply and then REBOOT to make the change actually happen.

Second - and more important thing I noticed, the log file has NO entries for WM_XBUTTONUP/WM_XBUTTONDOWN (which is the Windows button message for buttons 4 and 5). Not one single entry. That tells me that XMBC is not seeing these buttons being pressed on the mouse itself. That will explain why the button mappings don't work - what it does not explain is why the messages are not getting to XMBC. It also does not explain how the buttons highlight in Orange in the setup window (because if XMBC is not seeing those messages, it cant highlight the dropdown boxes).

You said the button dropdowns do highlight in the setup windows - does this include for buttons 4 and 5, or just buttons 1, 2 and 3?

Normally, the only way XMBC would not see those messages (and be able to remap the buttons) would be if a) the mouse is not sending those messages or b) something else is running before XMBC in the windows message hook chain, that is removing the messages before XMBC sees them.

Some mice (including my logitech G9) can have profiles stored in the device itself, configurable with Logitech's own software, and these profiles can change the button behavior. This is not normal on cheaper mice - I don't know yours so I don't know if its possible or not.
Do you have any other mouse configuration (especially from the mouse manufacturer)?

I hope I will get some time over the weekend to look into this along with several other related issues that others have reported this week (it cant be a coincidence can it?!).

In the mean time, here is a link to the older v2.17 installation - it would be useful to know if installing this makes any difference (ie. does rolling back to v2.17 fix the problem?) If it does, can you also take some debug log from 2.17 and send that to me?

https://www.highrez.co.uk/scripts/downl ... on=2170000

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
oldporkchops
New User

Post by oldporkchops »

Hi Phil,

Once again, I'm grateful for your response.

First things first. Version 2.17 worked!

Yes, I've been "happy" using a workaround every time I've rebooted the computer because your nifty program has saved me a lot of money on a mouse that fits my budget. So thank you for saving me money.

Since version 2.17 worked, I didn't change the hook timeout to 1000 ms. I can't explain the absence of entries in the log file for the 4th and 5th buttons, but all I can say is that version 2.17 worked.

All five buttons (1, 2, 3, 4, and 5) trigger the orange flash in XMBC, and since it's an inexpensive mouse, it doesn't have any other configuration stored in the mouse or in the cloud (like I did with my Razer) or on my computer.

Since uninstalling version 2.18 and deleting all profile files, and then installing version 2.17 worked, I emailed you the log file, but it appears to contain log entries from v 2.18.

Have a restful weekend.

Best,
David
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK thanks for that info - that's not good news (for me :)) - but it does seem to confirm there is something wrong with 2.18.x which I haven't yet spotted. Time to trawl through the code I guess.

By the way, the log file you sent from 2.17 didn't have debug logging enabled (it turns itself off when you restart XMBC) - probably not a problem as it worked but it may be useful to capture a little debug logging so I can compare with that from 2.18.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Actually, what would be really useful, would be to try 2.18.0 (before I made any .1.2.3.4.5 changes) just in case its something broken since .0.
If you could do that it would be great (and you can revert back to 2.17 if that does not work), if not don't worry.

2.18.0: https://www.highrez.co.uk/scripts/downl ... on=2180000

EDIT: also if it does not work, can you make a new debug log, and this time, make a note of the time you press the 4th and 5th buttons so I can see if there is anything going on around that time that may cause the message not to be seen - I'm completely stumped by this one right now - and your profile works fine here (as in it sees the 4th and 5th buttons and logs them fine).
--[ Phil ]--
oldporkchops
New User

Post by oldporkchops »

Hi Phil,

I restarted my computer and ver 2.17 didn't work after the restart.

What I did this time was to re-install your software and it worked immediately.

As requested, I've enabled the debugging log. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
David
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK, bear in mind the debug log will turn off automatically when XMBC restarts... We may need to tweak the startup options to turn on debugging at startup (/debug commandline switch - but it will involve a registry edit/import file that I can create if needed).

Its as if there is some other program hooking the mouse at startup (and the order in which they run at startup having an impact). If you disable XMBC and then re-enable it, does it start working per chance (sorry if I already asked this)? If so, what other programs have you got installed that may be manipulating keyboard and mouse messages (I now that may be a difficult one to answer!).

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
oldporkchops
New User

Post by oldporkchops »

Hi Phil,

I can answer both questions with confidence.

1) The reason I closed out XMBC and re-installed it (not restarted it by double clicking on an icon) is very simply because I couldn't find the icon for XMBC on my desktop or on the alphabetical list of programs on the Start Menu.

2) To the best of my knowledge, no other programs are manipulating the keyboard and mouse messages (I uninstalled the Razer software after that mouse stopped working), but just recently, there has been an issue with the caps lock software function. After performing the steps at https://www.howto-connect.com/windows-1 ... -lock-key/ to remedy the problem, it has been temporarily fixed by pressing the Shift key.

However, the problem of XMBC not working after a reboot existed before this Caps Lock issue happened.

Regards,
David

P.S. I've emailed you the Windows Event Viewer log file for the past 24 hours if that helps.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK to disable or exit XMBC, right click the little XMBC icon in the system tray near the clock (you may have to press the ^ arrow to show it if its been hidden by Windows). The same icon that you double click to open the settings window.... You can setup a global hotkey (in the global hotkey tab) to toggle this from the keyboard too (if it does disabling/enabling XMBC does fix the problem - its a quick workaround for now!)

When you right click it, you get a context menu, and on there you have "Disable" (this turns to "Enable" once you press it).
So after you reboot (and it stops working) try using this disable and then re-enable and see what happens (maybe with debug logging turned on at that point).

Also, you can "Exit" from that menu which closes XMBC fully. You can then restart it from your start menu (its under Highresolution Enterprises\XMouse Button Control by default.

EDIT Regarding your last email - if the keyboard software is interfering, then I would at least still expect to see messages from the mouse buttons in the log (of which there were none at all)... So its possible but I doubt its the whole story... first I need to know why the mouse messages are not being passed thought to XMBC - and that might be the answer. Unfortunately, as I said, its impossible to see what other processes have hooked the mouse (as far as I have been able to establish). The strange thing is that all other mouse messages are getting through to the log so only buttons 4 and 5 are being blocked by something (or are not being sent from the device at all). I shall wait for any news on the disable/enable tests above.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
oldporkchops
New User

Post by oldporkchops »

Thanks for your continued guidance, Phil. I hope you're having a good week.

I rebooted and as expected, XMBC didn't work. I uninstalled version 2.17 and installed v. 2.18.0 as requested. I soon received a Windows notification that a newer version is available but ignored it to test whether the enable/disable after reboot works.

The fresh install of v 2.18.0 worked and the 4th and 5th buttons worked in the program I use a lot on a daily basis. I turned on the debugging log.

I'll report back after the next reboot.

Best,
David