Distinguish applications under Remote Desktop?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
petera703
New User

Distinguish applications under Remote Desktop?

Post by petera703 »

XMBC Version: 2.17
Windows Version: 10 Pro
Mouse Information (brand/model): Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Computer Information: Packard Bell desktop PC (AMD 1.8GHz, 64-bit, 8GB RAM)
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: No
How long have you used XMBC?: 2yrs
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: en-GB

Clear description of the problem: Firstly, thanks for XMBC. It is a constant help and great to have. :D

Background to my question: my mouse has a little button behind the scroll wheel which XMBC detects as "middle button". I like to have my default XMBC profile send a double-click when I press this button (and I find "Double Click Drag" works best in this case). It works fine and I use this button all the time instead of double-clicking. And in my Chrome profile, I have this button send "CTRL SHIFT LMB", which translates to "open link in new tab". Again, working fine and used constantly.

My question is about using Remote Desktop. Anticipating there might be existing posts asking this question, I searched and found 67 "Remote Desktop" posts but nothing on this particular point. Apologies if I've somehow missed anything.

My question: I wish there was a way for XMBC to behave the same as I've described above when I use Chrome on the remote desktop. But in this case XMBC seems to use my default profile instead of my Chrome profile. I assume this is because from XMBC's perspective, the current application running on my local machineis now mstsc.exe rather than Chrome.

I saw that there are ways of configuring windows as well as applications, and multiple layers, but I could not see how to use these or other settings to achieve what I'm aiming for. Can it be done?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Distinguish applications under Remote Desktop?

Post by phil »

I'm afraid XMBC is unable to distinguish what window is running inside of the RDP session - that's why it will only detect mstsc.exe (the local window hosting the remote session). the only way to have application specific settings in the remote session would be to install XMBC on said remote machine and configure it there.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
petera703
New User

Re: Distinguish applications under Remote Desktop?

Post by petera703 »

Hi Phil,

Thanks, I've tried what you said and it works well.

To use the same settings on a remote machine, I just copied my XMBCSettings.xml over.

Although I was originally wondering about some kind of transparent pass-through over RDP, I now think that would just bring unnecessary complications, and probably no real benefits. What about nested RDP sessions, for instance? And each remote machine may have different apps installed, so may benefit from its own XMBC settings anyway. All in all it seems to me this is the right solution. Thanks again! Peter :D