v2.18 Scroll setting

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
sewing1243
New User

v2.18 Scroll setting

Post by sewing1243 »

XMBC Version: v2.18
Windows Version: Windows 10 64 Home
Mouse Information (brand/model): Dell 5 Button/scroll wheel Mouse
Computer Information: Dell XPS8700
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC or Windows?: updated XBMC
How long have you used XMBC?: Quite awhile
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: American English

Clear description of the problem:

Updated XMBC to v2.18 and mouse scroll wheel will only scroll 1 line at a time. Adjusted number up and down, no effect, unchecked and rechecked force option, no effect. Reinstalled v2.17 and scroll functionality restored. :( Other options (like reverse scroll) appear to work.
phil
Site Admin

Re: v2.18 Scroll setting

Post by phil »

Well I wasn't expecting a problem that quick!

That is very odd, its working fine here (same Windows 10 x64) - and no one has reported similar through the long beta period (Typical)! Which begs the question what is different on your setup to mine and others who have been testing for almost a year!

The Windows and XMBC default is 3 lines, but you say its only one line at a time (which is particularly odd - if it were 3 lines always that would have made more sense!). If you wouldn't mind a debug log might be very useful here (it would mean re-installing 2.18 and then turning on debug logging, scroll a bit up and down and then sending me the debug log - either attached here or by email) - or maybe wait a bit and see if anyone else has such a problem - its up to you (I wont be able to do anything until next week anyway now). Also is it in any application or a particular one? Do you have one (default) or more profiles?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
sewing1243
New User

Post by sewing1243 »

I would attach two log files (I had debugging on and these were the only log files I found), but I'm not seeing anyway to attach them so I'll try emailing them to you. I'll pm the email address I sent them to you with)

I installed v2.18 on another PC (Dell Inspiron 3647) that has the same 5 button mouse, but the Windows 10 64 Home version on that PC is still 1803 (it hasn't updated to 1809 yet) and X-Mouse V.218 works fine on it. :shock:

When I enabled debug logging in v2.18 mouse scrolling works normally, disable it and it's back to one line. Exit X-Mouse and scrolling returns to Windows default 3 line scrolling. :?:
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK Thanks...

That is even stranger (that it works when debug logging is enabled - and kind'a means the debug log probably wont be much use). What it does suggest however, is that there is some timing related issue (debug logging slows things down a bit) OR Ive messed something up and it only does something if debug logging is enabled (that's not likely because it would be that way on all systems).

Thanks for the logs - I will try and take a look but I'm away for new year so it wont be before Thursday probably.

EDIT Just to check can you increase the low level mouse hook timeout (its on the advanced settings tab I think) Right now its 0 (which means use the Windows default of 200ms). I don't expect it to make any difference but it is worth a try to increase it to 500ms temporarily and see if it makes any difference... NOTE: You need to reboot after making the change for it to be applied.

EDIT2: It looks like you have set the mouse wheel to "Mouse Wheel UP" and "Mouse Wheel DOWN". Can you change the mappings to "** No change (Don't Intercept) **" and see if that makes any difference?

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
sewing1243
New User

Post by sewing1243 »

Changing the mouse wheel up/down settings appears to have resolved the problem.
sewing1243
New User

Post by sewing1243 »

PS: To add to the confusion...the other PC (Dell Inspiron 3647) has the mouse up and down settings set the same as the other pc's were, but it works fine.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I think it is a combination of a bug and timings (so the effect will differ per machine and is why turning on debug logging appeared to fix it, as debug logging introduces delays into XMBC as it writes the log file). I have "corrected" the bug for the next release (which will be 2.18.1 probably, rather than 2.19).

This should resolve the issue if anyone does set the wheel to mouse wheel up/mouse wheel down - although there should be no need to set the wheel to mouse wheel up/down as that is the norm/default anyway - and indeed, setting the wheel to mouse wheel up/down will cause XMBC to have to (needlessly) do more work and use more resources.
--[ Phil ]--
sewing1243
New User

Post by sewing1243 »

Thanks for finding a fix so quickly!