Add window resizing/moving capabilities?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Hoggy
New User

Add window resizing/moving capabilities?

Post by Hoggy »

Hi, I currently use what I think is a compiled AutoHotKey script. (AHK doesn't need to be installed or running.)

The script is called EasyWindowDrag_(KDE), and here is a cut and pasted description of what it does:
"
1) Hold down the ALT key and LEFT-click anywhere inside a window to drag it to a new location;
2) Hold down ALT and RIGHT-click-drag anywhere inside a window to easily resize it;
3) Press ALT twice, but before releasing it the second time, left-click to minimize the window under the mouse cursor, right-click to maximize it, or middle-click to close it.
"

The problem I have with it, is that for some programs - in my case, it's largely Lightroom (and some Photoshop) - the alt key is used for other things. Given that XMBC already has capability to have things work in only certain applications, it would be great if XMBC could gain such functionality.. Or maybe it already has, but I haven't noticed it??

#3 might not be possible, but that part is not that important to me anyways.. (Perhaps also because I forgot about it until now? :) )

Although numbers 1 and 2 would seem to be right up XBMC's ally. I really hope it could, because the ALT issue is a constant major pain in the butt when in the Lightroom application. EWD has a 'pause' feature, but I switch around a lot so it just doesn't work out.

Anyways.. MANY thanks if it could be added, or if it already is. And thanks a ton for this wonderful lightweight application!
phil
Site Admin

Re: Add window resizing/moving capabilities?

Post by phil »

Its not possible right now but I will add it to the list of things to look into!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I'm looking at adding this in 2.18 beta...

I'm thinking right now that all I need to add is a "Drag window" and "Size window" option in the main dropdowns.
Then you could put this on a layer for the left/right/any other button, and activate said layer when ALT or whatever is pressed.

Thus its relatively easy and you get your alt+drag/alt+size ability and its fairly flexible and can be per profile.

Does that make sense?
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Ive added this to 2.18 Beta 4 today
For your usage, using ALT, I suggest the following....

On layer 2, set the button you want to use to "Drag to Move Window" or "Drag to Size Window"
Leave all other buttons as "Same as layer 1" or "No change"
Enable layer modifier keys and set ALT to enable layer 2

Now when ALT is held, layer 2 will be active and drag to move/size window should be in effect.

You can also use button chording or button held options to invoke this behavior which gives a little more flexibility (if you don't want to use ALT).

Let me know how you get on, and if it works as expected or not!
--[ Phil ]--
schiel
New User

window moving works like a charm

Post by schiel »

:D I just want to confirm that in 2.18 Beta 4 the new funktion "drag window" works like a charm. It is perfect together with switching the layer while pressing ALT, so with ALT + Left Mouse Button Click (or what ever) one can easy drag any window not only by clicking on the title bar but anywhere in the window. Thanks for that great feature!

:? By the way: First I had a little trouble, cause I choosed the "drag window" option for left mouse button in Layer 1, which was the current layer, and after applying the settings I was not able to use a normal Left Mouse Button Click everywhere - including to switch back the function to "No change". It took a little time for me to realize how to get out of that misery: Finally I resolved it by using the keyboard (TAB, TAB, TAB, ..., Page Down, Cursor up, Cursor up, ..., Space, ...)
:idea: Maybe it's a good idea to handle a Left Mouse Button Click as "No change" while the click is whithin XMBC?

Michael
phil
Site Admin

Re: window moving works like a charm

Post by phil »

schiel wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:56 pm :idea: Maybe it's a good idea to handle a Left Mouse Button Click as "No change" while the click is whithin XMBC?
Without setting up a profile for XMBC that would not be easy (or in many cases, desirable)
The best bet is to make sure you enable "Disable all actions when scroll lock is on" to allow an easy out for this.
And if not, consider it a good way to learn not to do it again in the future :).

I have considered a warning when changing the left button "Are you really sure you want to change the left button in the default profile" or something, but for the amount if times its reported, I'm not sure its worth the effort!
--[ Phil ]--
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

I think that only a "warning" could be ineffective. It would be better if some "action" (besides the warning) could be automatically triggered when the user attempts to change the function of LMB, like for example automatically activating the "Disable all actions when scroll lock is on" option, but since the "Scroll lock" button is not present on all keyboards then it has to be something else :roll:

As a matter of fact I've been in the situation of remapping LMB and I've also seen several other users doing this intentionally, but I guess there always is a chance of doing it unintentionally (by accident) too and in this case one might not have even the slightest clue what has happened. So it's reasonable enough to have at least a warning pop-up, but as I said, the best would be to have a way (mentioned in the warning message) to revert the change or to disable XMBC via the keyboard. Maybe the easiest way would be to have some strange global shortcut to Enable/Disable XMBC e.g. "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Esc" or something.
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well, you can already define a global hotkey to enable/disable XMBC... As well as the scroll lock option.
So yes, that could be turned on automatically (or from a warning dialogue optionally).

I guess it would reduce the number of people who email saying "help Ive broken my mouse" :)
--[ Phil ]--
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

phil wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:42 pm(or from a warning dialogue optionally)
Yea!

I just have to add that very often I get confused about my hotkey for Enabling/Disabling XMBC among the other hotkeys :haha: (I don't use them very often) and occasionally when I mess up the settings I end up navigating with the keyboard to the context menu instead of trying all the hotkeys that come to my mind.
So it would be great if the warning message could tell you which is the correct hotkey, that's why I suggested having a predefined/default hotkey for Enable/Disable which of course the user can change at his will, however that would involve the pop-up message to check which is the current hotkey so maybe defining an additional "user" hotkey would make more sence :roll: if it is possible at all to have 2 hotkeys for the same thing.
I'm not sure which would be most appropriate/painless/worthy etc. but I believe you are :)
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB