ALT+TAB on XP

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
JAB Creations
New User

ALT+TAB on XP

Post by JAB Creations »

Hi,

I purchased a six button Gigabyte mouse that came with no software, naturally I was pissed off. I came across your software and was happy to see I could customize the fourth and fifth mouse buttons to ALT+TAB and Escape (I work on websites so these are very useful mouse button functions for me) however ALT+TAB is only supported in Vista? Does support macros or support them in the very near future?

If I can't get ALT+Tab support with XMouse is there any other software that I may be able to get this functionality from or a way to hack the Windows registry to manually set the function?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
phil
Site Admin

Re: ALT+TAB on XP

Post by phil »

XMBC Supports simulated keystrokes which give you access to most functional not in the drop down but not macros specifically. And its not something on the to-do list - but what excatly are you looking to do with such a system?

ALT-TAB It does not only support Vista, but 2008, and Windows 7 too... Certainly I'm not looking to add any functionality for older OS's specifically - its just not worth my time. The main reason ALT-TAB does not work well on XP is the way the task switcher responds to repeated alt-tab's you can make it switch to the next window but thats it (and then the next time you press it, the next window is the one you just came from).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
JAB Creations
New User

Post by JAB Creations »

That's the whole point of ALT+TAB! I want to switch back and forth between the two same windows. CTRL+S ALT+TAB, F5, ALT+TAB, *code* ....repeat 1,000 times<--- that is my day.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well in that case, it should work in XP too...
EDIT: In Vista, it opens the alt-tab dialog and allows you to "scroll" through the open applications, selecting the one you wish to switch to - which sounds like not what you want anyway :)

If the item in the list (that says Vista only) does not work, try {ALT}{TAB} in simulated keystrokes!
--[ Phil ]--
JAB Creations
New User

Post by JAB Creations »

THANK YOU! That's all I really wanted. Because of this one function and escape on the rear thumb button my life is so much easier. Additionally now I don't have to go searching Newegg for the cheapest mouse replacement for my MX Revolution which is no longer listed any way! Going to do a hardware hack to fix the battery bug with a soldering iron and hopefully it will work.

To be honest I didn't look through all the options (I did skim most) and my only recommendation would be to move the simulated keystroke option to the very top of the list.

Since you made my life a lot easier I have one last important question: do you take PayPal donations?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I'm glad this is what you wanted :)
Your suggestion about moving simulated keystrokes to the top of the list is not the first - I am looking at how I might present the list in a better way but haven't really spent much time on it recently :(

There is a paypal button on the download page, the about dialog and probably on these forums somewhere
EDIT: Hummmm not on the forum I see - maybe I will have to add one there :?
and your welcome (although by no means required) to use it hehe :)

Thanks for the positive feedback,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
JAB Creations
New User

Post by JAB Creations »

I don't have much to begin with (haven't had a real bank account for a few years now) though I try to donate to people who make truly useful software.

A quick question, what are the layers for? I tried adding an action on the second layer and I didn't see anything different happen.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Layers allow you to have up to 5 (right now) button configurations for each applications.
At the moment, you can switch between layers using hotkeys (and mouse buttons / menu item in the system tray).

In the future you will be able to switch to a layer is a given key is held down when you press the mouse button.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--