How Do I Enable Horizontal Scrolling in MS Paint?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
xlook
Dedicated

How Do I Enable Horizontal Scrolling in MS Paint?

Post by xlook »

I'm able to vertically scroll in MS paint but not horzontally. Looks like MS has disabled this for some unknown but stupid reason. How do I enable horizontal scrolling? Should be some regedit tweak.
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Re: How Do I Enable Horizontal Scrolling in MS Paint?

Post by injtsvetkov »

I've noticed that if the picture is larger than the screen, using the scroll wheel scrolls vertically, but if you pull up the handle at the bottom and make it smaller than the screen (only vertically), then using the scroll wheel makes the picture move horizontally (scroll down moves the picture to the left as if you were scrolling right). Unfortunately the tilt wheel doesn't do anything neither before nor after resizing the picture. Probably this setting was made long ago (in XP tilt wheel messages are not recognized) and they haven't changed it yet.
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Create a profile for mspaint.exe
On the scrolling tab, select "Method 1 (Scroll Msg)" in the advanced window scrolling scroll method.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
xlook
Dedicated

Post by xlook »

phil wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:38 am Create a profile for mspaint.exe
On the scrolling tab, select "Method 1 (Scroll Msg)" in the advanced window scrolling scroll method.

Thanks,
Phil
Hey Phil,

It works, I appreciate that. But the horizontal scroll is too jumpy and quick. Is there a way to slow it down and not be as fast scrolling across?

Also, the middle click scroll doesnt work in horizontal scrolling in MS paint, despite choosing 'Change movement to scroll'. The option only works vertically. How do I get it to work horizontally?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Sorry, change movement to scroll works by sending tilt messages - which is what does not work with paint.
And the scroll messages may be jumpy, but the only adjustment is the little horizontal scroll characters,and if thats still jumpy, then there isn't much anyone, except Microsoft can do (i.e. change paint) as far as I can see.

Quite frankly, as injtsvetkov said, paint is rubbish, old and out of date (MS are even dropping it by default I think). I'd recommend pain.net or gimp for any graphic stuff previously I used paint for!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
sukemaru
Committed

Post by sukemaru »

@xlook
You may try to set the "sim-key" {ctrl}{mwup} for tilt-wheel-left / {ctrl}{mwdn} for tilt-wheel-right with option 1 (pressed) or 6 (repeat) to scroll horizontaly. They work in mspaint @my XP.
Logitech AnywhereMX (7 Btn), M555b (5 Btn) w/ SetPoint v6.32
Microsoft WirelessLaserMouse8000 (5 Btn), WLM5000 (5 Btn) w/ IntelliPoint v6.30
XMBC: now Latest BETA as Portable (since v1.48, 2009)
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Aren't tilt wheel left and right inactive on your XP?

I tried Ctrl+Scroll Up/Down in mspaint on my win8.1 but it zooms in and out.
It seems like Shift+Scroll Up/Down is intended to scroll horizontally in some apps but it does nothing in mspaint on my win8.1 :roll:
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
xlook
Dedicated

Post by xlook »

sukemaru wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:29 am @xlook
You may try to set the "sim-key" {ctrl}{mwup} for tilt-wheel-left / {ctrl}{mwdn} for tilt-wheel-right with option 1 (pressed) or 6 (repeat) to scroll horizontaly. They work in mspaint @my XP.
Simulating Ctrl + MWUP and Ctrl + MWDN only zooms in and out respectively. It doesnt scroll left or right.