What mice work with XMBC?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
PoxyPIg
New User

Re: What mice work with XMBC?

Post by PoxyPIg »

I have a veteran Logitech M-BA47 MouseMan mouse which has so far outlived at least 3 computers. Logitech don't even admit to having made it, much less provide working software so I can use it with Windows 7.

After spending several hours trying to get working the 66MB download of Logitech's latest Setpoint bloatware only to find that it won't even recognise my mouse, let alone work at all, I found XMBC!

XMBC not only appears to work perfectly on Windows 7 with my ancient mouse, but I now have configuration options never dreamed of by Logitech (or me either!). Moreover, the XMBC download is only a couple of megabytes.

I particularly like the option to have different button set ups for individual applications and the simplicity of changing button functions.

A BRILLIANT piece of software. Thank you,Thank you, THANK YOU
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi,

Im glad you found and like XMBC - Its comments like that that make it worth it :)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
dogbadger
New User

Post by dogbadger »

ok so i have a dell premium mouse - a basic 5 button affair with a tilt wheel.
It was the failure of the tilt wheel to funtion in games that made me seek out and find xmbc.

orgionally, even though i programmed keystrokes for the tilt using the dell software (and they appeared to work on notepad for example) when i was in games they were not being recognised, or as the wrong key strokes.

So I dloaded this software but could not correct the problem - specifically XMBC did not recognise (greyed out) the tilt wheel funtionality of my mouse, despite the dell software doing so and drivers installed. The keystokes on the other buttons remained a problem too.
I have since deleted the dell software, as there was obviously a problem there - but of course i cannot use the tilt as it is greyed out in the xmbc screen. Other thatn that the keystroke replacement now works fine - in fact its a v impressivly flexable program i have to say - good work.

However, as i still cant program my wheel tilt I was wondering - is there a generic set of drivers, or a way of getting windows to recognise that my mouse has a tilt function?
i tried different sets of dell drivers - they seem to be a write-off.
WIn XP home 32, btw

cheers in advance
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

XMBC Tilt support is only available in Vista and later (2008, 7 etc). See the FAQ for the full explanation.
Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
dogbadger
New User

Post by dogbadger »

phil wrote:XMBC Tilt support is only available in Vista and later (2008, 7 etc). See the FAQ for the full explanation.
Thanks,
Phil
ahha! that explains all - so even if you have the tilt drivers installed under a an older os - XMBC wont support it.
N mind, congrats on a splendid piece of software anyway.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Yes I'm afraid so - because the message that I can receive was not introduced until Vista. On older OS's the drivers do it differently which makes it pretty much impossible for me to pick up.
--[ Phil ]--
PeeWee
New User

Post by PeeWee »

Kensington Expert mouse now works flawlessly on Win7x64 with default drivers installed prior to X-mouse 1.49 install.
wterryiv
New User

Post by wterryiv »

First off I wanted to say what a great piece of software this is. Now onto my issue:

I was running Windows 7 32-bit using the native mouseworks 6.22 w/o issue, full functionality for my ExpertMouse, but recently I did a swap to Windows 7 64-bit and of course the mouseworks software wouldn't work so luckily I found your excellent solution.

Everything sounds good so far, but I acquired two Wacom Bamboo Pen/Touch tablets (home and office) Now on my home machine when I try to use the pen to do a pan/scroll-which is basically grabbing a webpage and dragging it down or up to scroll the web page bounces around uncontrollably and CPU gets spiked over 50% on a quad core machine. My other tablet on my laptop which is win7 32bit with another ExpertMouse does not exhibit this behavior (has mouseworks 6.22 and no x-mouse installed). I am also unable to use some of the touch gestures on my x64 machine where the 32bit works dandy. I reached out to Wacom and they basically said they can't recreate the issue, so as luck would have it I happened to lug my computer over to my g-friends house and instead of bringing everything I just bought my tablet and keyboard. Since I had no mouse I disabled the x-mouse and happened to be surfing when I just tried for fun to pan/scroll and it worked perfectly! So I then re-enabled x-mouse and once again it was all jittery . If I change the scroll up/down from do nothing to mouse wheel up/down it works a little better but not as well as if the x-mouse wasn't loaded. I did try the option of using scroll lock to bypass and that worked great but doesn't seem like something I want to do everytime I want to browse the web. I haven't tested yet but I'm pretty sure this is also why I can't do some gestures on the tablet. If you have any ideas on a good solution or bug fix, I'm all ears!

Thanks again for such a wonderful product.
kuya
New User

Post by kuya »

Thank you Phil for your program. I was using win xp pro x32 before without any problems. After running the upgrade advisor for win 7 nothing came up on being a problem. Well, I installed win 7 x64 and noticed my logitech mx500 optical was unable to use my buttons, specifially I loved the thumb button for double-clicking. Before I found your software I had tried different setpoint versions, and of course non worked. I had searched everywhere and found out other people were having the same problems and none had solutions, except one single posting on a logitech forum linking to your site. I gave it a shot and well :D

My mouse may have a few years on it (6-7 :mrgreen: ) but still works as good as new. Eventually, I will have to replace it but in the meantime I'm happy.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
This thread is becoming quite a useful resource here me thinks :)

Just one thing, please try and avoid posting bugs/requests in this thread - it would be better (and I'm more likely to notice it) if you start a new thread for such issues.

Thanks again,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
aoen
New User

Post by aoen »

Works perfectly with Logitech MX400
atirjavid
New User

Post by atirjavid »

Hello.

I went to a local store in my city, and while I was looking around, I saw an entire "SALES" type table setup, and they had $3.99 rodents all over it. As it turns out, they were very very cheap but sturdy mice, with one of the best hand grips I've ever used, and it is 5-buttons and works natively in windows (the 5 button driver is actually provided by MS.)

This is:

BTC Model M850 (Made in China) - A Taiwanese company makes extremely low cost computer parts and peripherals, and these rodents are sold all over the world. Check your local area stores, and grab a few of these amazing mice.

I have tried a lot of mice, some seriously very expensive... but no more. $4 bucks is all it takes for a really good 5-button mouse.

If you do happen to find one of these, buy a few. Also, when you get it, go here:
http://www.btc.com.tw/english/3-1-7driver_download.htm and download the file http://www.btc.com.tw/drivers/zip/mouse/M850.zip.

I have installed this driver, but beware that when you do, you will end up with their custom software that auto starts with Windows and anytime you hit middle click it pops up and your mouse wheel will not work. After you install the driver for this (you might not even have to but perhaps the good developer here can tell us) simply go to Windows startup or use Autoruns and disable/delete the entry for this software.

Lastly, make sure to read http://www.btc.com.tw/english/3-1-7driver_download.htm where it says
Notice: These models(M850/850U/850C/851C/860/860U/860C/871/871U/871C )use standard driver from Microsoft,which without shipping software driver anymore. The driver you see is for legacy products support only.
So I guess you don't have to install anything? Anyway, I installed the driver and had some trouble figuring it out until I read that bit, and then I stopped the software from launching, and thats it.

Thank you so much for this software. I really do hope you release the software's source. There is so much to be done with this. This use of global hooking in windows 7 is nicely done. Very nice. Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Atir Javid
CEO FrostedWeb LLC
CISO, CTO Sky Social Media Inc.
Software Developer
http://www.AtirJavid.com
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I wasnt planning on opening the source - but you never know, and in anycase, its not exactly complicated to do with a little coding knowledge!

Anyway, glad it helped you out with your nice cheap mice :)
--[ Phil ]--
H_Seldon
New User

Post by H_Seldon »

XMBC works perfectly with my Logitech Anywhere MX!
m2200
New User

Post by m2200 »

xmbc, win7, microsoft wireless mouse 2000 : ok
see here for tilt wheel trick viewtopic.php?f=6&t=277&start=30#p2044