XMBC 2.16 Beta

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC 2.16 Beta

Post by phil »

sukemaru wrote: Reports and needs
I tried to set access-key W for "Application / Window Profiles:" and N for "Layer name", but W worked to focus "Layer name" and N did not work. I need to know that how to select "Application / Window Profiles:" list quickly with a accelerator.
Try in the next beta - I have tweaked the layout a bit and it might work then.
sukemaru wrote:2.
I think that the first focused item when the setting window open by XMBC icon should be "Application / Window Profiles:" list or "Close" button, excluding when returning from another dialog, it is not limited. Now, for example, users open the window and press any keys by mistake, which rewrites "Layer name" without own will, but they are hard to notice it (and I often used to do).
Will set it to profile list and see hoe it goes!
sukemaru wrote:3.
I have not used Import/Export and Save/Load features yet, Import/Export dialogs seem to show Documents folder and Save/Load's show XMBC folder (I use whole XMBC beta versions as portable mode). Is this the behavior you intended?
Yes this is intentional. Import/Export default to the documents folder. Save/Load work with the settings folder because thats where the default settings are. Not planning to change this at the moment.
sukemaru wrote:4.
Would you add new buttons "Open User Guide" or "Open user folder" in "About" dialog?
See next beta :)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Here is 2.16 Beta 14.

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE. Note that this link will always get you the latest beta version!

Changes since v2.16 Beta 13:
  • #485 - Add additional buttons to about box.
  • #484 - Add system menu and minimize/close box to main settings screen.
  • #478 - Fixed/changed accelerator keys and tab order.
There are changes to the translation template in beta 14.

Please check the auto-update download works when going from beta 13 to beta 14.

Any problems, PM me a copy of the log file (or post a snippet in a code block here).

EDIT - ON HOLD/RECALLED I forgot something...

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

phil wrote:Sigh, so we want to be able to minimize the window now - which will mean adding a close box and a "system" menu/icon in the top left....
Told you so and you looked at me like I was insane XD. I think that might fix that my problem with task bar. It seems that I'm too fresh user to be treat seriously by you. :P

Edit: It works now. :P
Last edited by maxoku on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

See above - I recalled beta 14 because I missed something.
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

OK I will try that again... Here is 2.16 Beta 14 (second attempt).

If you have check for beta versions enabled, you should get notified of a new version and prompted to update in the next day or so. This is the most efficient method (bandwidth wise) as the updates are only a fraction of the size of the full install. Otherwise, you can get the full installation beta HERE. Note that this link will always get you the latest beta version!

Changes since v2.16 Beta 13:
  • #486 - Force initial focus to the application profile list.
  • #485 - Add additional buttons to about box.
  • #484 - Add system menu and minimize/close box to main settings screen.
  • #478 - Fixed/changed accelerator keys and tab order.
There are changes to the translation template in beta 14.

Please check the auto-update download works when going from beta 13 to beta 14.

Any problems, PM me a copy of the log file (or post a snippet in a code block here).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

It works now :) . But I have a problem. There is no way I would fit translation of 'Open Userguide' in the button. Even translation for 'Userguide' isn't fitting, but almost. It would be nice if you do something with that button in next beta.

PS: You didn't have any problem with making it a normal window and did it very quickly. Wounder why didn't you make that earlier? Strangely it didn't fix my problem with task bar, I thought it was related. Sigh, I'll still have to trouble myself with it. :(

PS2: If I go Hotkeys tab in settings and press e.g. Alt+0 then the hotkey for layer 1 will be set and the focus go layer 10 box or Alt+G and enabling/disabling after setting that hotkey. Double function, one should be blocked or something. And the focus could be not the layer 1 box too.
sukemaru
Committed

Post by sukemaru »

Thank you for updating!
New accelerator functions in the settings window work properly, and the reconstruction of About panel is a very useful change for users.

In Beta 14, XMBC has system buttons on the titlebar and the X button works to minimize to tray. But major users, especially who does not display XMBC icon at the tray, guesses that the X button works to killing a apprication ordinaly. It is necessary to add an information about how the X button works / XMBC is Continuing to function. Would you like to add a message on the warning dialogs for changing states "Hide icon"-ON and "Show tray icon by default"-OFF?

I noticed about lists behavior strange
On the profiles list, a single letter key works to select items by skipped one row at a time. For example, on the list which has App1, App2, App3,,, I try to repeat pressing A key and the highlighit moves to App1, App3, App5,,,
On the Drop-Down-List, also the double keys selection seems to show similar action. Typing O P keys repeatedly and Open, Open Explorer, Open Exp at My Docus,,, are selected one by one, but Open Control Panel, Open Explorer, Open Exp at My Computer,,, are NOT selected. In looking carefully, typing O selects Open, P selects Open Control Panel, next O selects Open Explorer, next P selects Open Ex at My Computer,,,
However whole items displayed in the Japanese traslation or other languages which does not use the alphabetic letters can not be selected by any accelerator keys without (&_) shortcuts set.

About Layer tabs
Since changed the GUI desigin which has gear icons, I click an icon and close the panel, that icon leaves to be pressed down without focused, it will remain until anoter layer open or re-displayed from minimized. If memory serves me right, it was not the case before, at least in the beta that implemented this feature for the first time. Now also Copy/Swap/Reset Layer buttons are same. Does have anyone pointed out this thing, does this strange occur only in my environ with XP possibly?
2017-04-20_083851.png
For Reset Layer button
Would you like to add a confirmation dialog panel for resetting?

thanks,
suke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Logitech AnywhereMX (7 Btn), M555b (5 Btn) w/ SetPoint v6.32
Microsoft WirelessLaserMouse8000 (5 Btn), WLM5000 (5 Btn) w/ IntelliPoint v6.30
XMBC: now Latest BETA as Portable (since v1.48, 2009)
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

In "repeat initial rate" (advance settings) the access key is already underlined, so after pressing Alt it can be double underlined (in Polish) or it's crossed out (in English).
When I open the settings window, focus on another application and Alt-Tab to it again or click in taskbar then not the settings window is focused, but the main window.
When I want to get an access key for 'slow down cursor' (in other modifiers) the focus goes to 'enable modifier keys' checkbox instead.
sukemaru wrote:About Layer tabs
Since changed the GUI design which has gear icons, I click an icon and close the panel, that icon leaves to be pressed down without focused, it will remain until another layer open or re-displayed from minimized. If memory serves me right, it was not the case before, at least in the beta that implemented this feature for the first time. Now also Copy/Swap/Reset Layer buttons are same. Does have anyone pointed out this thing, does this strange occur only in my environ with XP possibly?
I've pointed that out, but Phil said he won't fix anything that is only in Windows XP. :( Or maybe he couldn't recreate problem, cuz he was checking on luna theme instead of classic one lol.
By the way, do you have that problem too?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

sukemaru wrote:In Beta 14, XMBC has system buttons on the titlebar and the X button works to minimize to tray. But major users, especially who does not display XMBC icon at the tray, guesses that the X button works to killing a apprication ordinaly. It is necessary to add an information about how the X button works / XMBC is Continuing to function. Would you like to add a message on the warning dialogs for changing states "Hide icon"-ON and "Show tray icon by default"-OFF?
See, that's WHY I didn't want a close button. Its not chageing again - you will just have to live with it.
I'm getting a little bit fed up with all these little changes, I must stop trying to accommodate every single request or I will end up throwing XMBC in the bin!

I'm going away for the weekend to unwind and FORGET about XMBC.
Te rest can wait till I'm back - when i will be much more objective about what I'm going to change!

EDIT: And yes, the XP issue - tough I'm afraid, try an OS that is not 16 years old! :)
--[ Phil ]--
maxoku
Committed

Post by maxoku »

phil wrote:See, that's WHY I didn't want a close button. Its not chageing again - you will just have to live with it.
I don't really get why someone could be confused by 'X' button. There's already a 'Close' button that has the same function. Instead of a warning dialog it can be just pointed in manual or something.
phil wrote:And yes, the XP issue - tough I'm afraid, try an OS that is not 16 years old! :)
If I could do that, I already would^^. You cannot get water out of a stone (lol). Have a nice weekend :) and I hope that when you'll return you won't be so much upset.
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

I think it's much better to have the minimize/close buttons compared to not having them :)

And guys, listen carefully to what Phil says, paying too much attention to those little things really eats up his time. It's much better to use it for the other useful features in the ToDo list and believe me there are tons of cool stuff there :wink:
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
sukemaru
Committed

Post by sukemaru »

I guess I am just a translator but not good at reporting/suggesting anything in English, and sorry for bothering you. I have understood that the development and the updating should positively support the current OS, it is nice for users. If some problems arise on only XP, especially with the classic theme, there is no way. You may keep to update as you will!

Have a nice weekend!
suke
injtsvetkov
Fanatic

Post by injtsvetkov »

Don't get too upset mate :lol: I was doing the same when I started beta testing but very soon I realized that it's really not worth it wasting Phil's time (and mine too :|) with such things that probably nobody else would notice except me, though it still happens occasionally :P. We have to try concentrating on things that could be useful to more people, that's better for all of us :). I'm sure you'll get used to it, you'll see when the 2.17 beta starts :wink:
Apparently Win XP is quite different from the newer Windows versions and there always will be some glitches but I'd say they are bearable as long as XMBC works like it should.
HAMA Mirano
Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i5-3230M @ 2.60GHz, 4GB
BriHecato
Dedicated

Post by BriHecato »

Beta 14 - looks good, about window "about" doesn;t knew that i need those buttons untill you add them :)
Really was hoping for this "break simkey on mouse move" addition ;)
maxoku wrote:It works now :)There is no way I would fit translation of 'Open Userguide' in the button. Even translation for 'Userguide' isn't fitting, but almost.
Manual, Instrukcja, Przewodnik, Pomoc - it does fit :P
sukemaru wrote:But major users, especially who does not display XMBC icon at the tray, guesses that the X button works to killing a apprication ordinaly.
What are you talking about ? Hiding icon in tray? ridiculous
Closing XMBC? "Major" users know how it works - you cannot close app and want it to work :P
maxoku wrote:In "repeat initial rate" (advance settings) the access key is already underlined, so after pressing Alt it can be double underlined (in Polish) or it's crossed out (in English).
True, also apply to "Repeat tilt rate"
maxoku wrote: When I open the settings window, focus on another application and Alt-Tab to it again or click in taskbar then not the settings window is focused, but the main window.
Nope. Setting window is modal and it is on top of main menu, so alt-tabing bring both of them.
phil wrote: See, that's WHY I didn't want a close button. Its not chageing again - you will just have to live with it.
I'm getting a little bit fed up with all these little changes, I must stop trying to accommodate every single request or I will end up throwing XMBC in the bin!
It's not directly to Phil but to the rest:
"Closing" = minimize to tray. Always. Do not mess with it. If people want to exit need to hit tray icon and "exit", even remove option "hide icon in tray" since is useless and little stupid 'cos how would one bring up config window without it? (I know Menu start, desktop shortcuts, macros bla bla bla but why?... tray is the best way. Period).
Those three buttons are the elements of windows API, leave them be with disabled maximize. Enough of this.
Let the PC do the hard work = AHK + C# + HTML/CSS/JS + XMBC + Clavier+ + AutoLisp + VBA/OOB
sukemaru
Committed

Post by sukemaru »

@ BriHecato
I am welcoming the changes in Beta 14, too. I have not told that Phil should change how X button works. It is clear for users who have used XMBC before, if a new user prefers to hide the icon and then presses X button, he will not know XMBC keeps running, unless opens the task manager. The reason why I am concerned is that XMBC is not translated into many languages sufficiently.
XMBC shows a confirmation message when hiding the icon, I have been going to suggest how about adding small words "XMBC will keep running even if you close its window" at that messagebox. This has been taken back.
I am sorry about my poor English, sayonara.

suke