How do you UNINSTALL inpout32?

My x64 port of InpOut32
Moundtop
New User

How do you UNINSTALL inpout32?

Post by Moundtop »

I've tried uninstalling the inpout32 driver using both the Device Manager and Regedt32. Deleteing entries fails to uninstall the driver in both cases. Thanks for any help that you can offer.
phil
Site Admin

Re: How do you UNINSTALL inpout32?

Post by phil »

Urrrm,

You can probably delete the file, or maybe, in device manager, show hidden (legacy) devcies and it should be listed there (hwinterface.sys or inpout32.sys).

To be honest not something Ive ever tried !!! the driver is loaded on demand so there is no problem leaving it on the system - it wont be loaded unless your program asks for it (its not like a graphics card ot system driver thats always loaded).

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Moundtop
New User

Post by Moundtop »

After much hacking around, here's how I managed to UNINSTALL the inpoutx64 driver (on Windows XP, Vista and Win7):
1) Login as an Admin (with UAC disabled in Vista and Win7).
2) Start-up Device Manager, View|Show Hidden Devices, select INPOUTX64 from list of devices under the Non-Plug and Play Devices node, stop driver, change type from Automatic to disabled and finally select UNINSTALL from the context menu. Next, a mandatory reboot of the system is required.
3) Upon reboot, INPOUTX64 is gone from the Device Manager's list. However, the driver is still loaded into memory (albeit stopped and disabled)...as revealed by the very useful freeware utility called ServiWin.
4) At this point, one must run regedt32.exe as an administartor and find and delete the following two keys (and and subkeys): HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_INPOUTX64 and HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\inpoutx64. Ignore the keys with the same names in the 'ControlSetnnn' branches of the registry (If Windows denies your attempt to delete the keys, you will need to change the permissions so that you become the owner AND have FULL ACCESS rights. If you're working on a corporate machine, the policy on you computer could possible prevent you from being able to delete registry entries and you will need to consult with corporate IT for permissions). MAKE SURE THAT YOU SET A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT BEFORE HACKING THE REGISTRY...OR USE SOME OTHER MEANS TO BACKUP THE REGISTRY FIRST. OTHERWISE, YOU RISK GREAT GRIEF!!!
5) Reboot and remove c:\windows\system32\inpoutx64.dll and c:\windows\system32\drivers\inpoutx64.sys and you have completed the uninstall.

Please let me know via a post to this forum if you find a more straightforward way to uninstall inpoutx64 and/or inpout32.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thanks for that...

If my memory serves me correctly, there may be a call on the DLL to uninstall the driver - it may be private though and I'm not sure how effective it is - I will have to check later because I don't have the source in front of me.

I guess all "legacy" drivers will suffer from this so maybe there is an easier way (or an application already written) to clean these things up?

As I said, its never something I've needed to do, AFAIK, the driver is only ever started (loaded into memory (RAM)) when you actually use the DLL (it may remain afterwards).

Oh and why is inpoutx64.dll in the system32 folder - there should be no need to put it there in the first place?!

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Paul_Kussmaul
New User

Post by Paul_Kussmaul »

Hi Phil,

Thanks again for providing your 64bit-port. It works perfect on both platforms (32bit & 64bit). There is only a small SW-maintenance issue. My application was originally written to work with the NT-Port-Library. If I have to fix something in a very old revision of my application, I need to switch back to the old NT-Port-Driver. And for this scenario I need to make sure that there is no interference with the inpout32. Exactly for this purpose I would like to uninstall inpout32 temporarily, even I want to keep inpout32 for my newer revisions. An UninstallDriver.exe would be very helpful. I also would appreciate any hints related to the uninstall-routine somewhere in the DLL. It seems that the procedure provided by Moundtop does no longer fit for Win7. I was able to find the registry-entries, but not the driver itself. Any hints are really welcome.

Paul
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Hi,

Off the top of my head, I dont think there is no un-install routine in the DLL (the source is there for all to see so you can check - I dont have time right now as I'm at work).

EDIT: I just realised I contradicted my last answer there... lol. Still the source of the DLL is on my website so check it out!)

I have always done this through device manager (show hidden devices).

But if you switch back to your old DLL, then it will use its own driver, not the InpOut32/x64 one so I dont really understand why you need to un-install the driver itself, just replace the DLL.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
PaulCotter
New User

Post by PaulCotter »

phil wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:36 am Hi,

Off the top of my head, I dont think there is no un-install routine in the DLL (the source is there for all to see so you can check - I dont have time right now as I'm at work).

EDIT: I just realised I contradicted my last answer there... lol. Still the source of the DLL is on my website so check it out!)

I have always done this through device manager (show hidden devices).

But if you switch back to your old DLL, then it will use its own driver, not the InpOut32/x64 one so I dont really understand why you need to un-install the driver itself, just replace the DLL.

Thanks,
Phil
Thanks to you. you got my problem.
SeregaZ
New User

Post by SeregaZ »

no any another way to delete driver? first i am get old one 1.2... install it. but then check updates. and it have new one, but now i cant delete old one. i though installing new version will replace old one, but no. i start to remove by this reciepe, but when i am open regedit and try to delete that branch - it says cant delete it.

another question, i am didnt get that - how to use it? i have my own system of lamps, that work under music. when i use XP it work fine. and when i start PC all 4 lamps is enabled. when i start it with W7 - only 1 lamps is lighted and no any music reaction. i need to install that driver, then copy dll near my program and it will start to work? which type of LPT i should set in BIOS? i set ECP now. i need to set some switchers for windows driver LPT? it says some irq or something... use, not use some three items. and check - allow self setup old something. i need to check it?

or i need to rewrite my programm with load your dll and replace all my commands to commands from this dll?