How: PC <-> PC

My x64 port of InpOut32
PaulL
New User

How: PC <-> PC

Post by PaulL »

Hi,

I have 2 PC's, XP & Vista. It appears oup32fp & inp32fp work on both PC's. If I write a number on the PC, say the Vista PC, then I am able to read it on the Vista PC. Note, this is not yet PC to PC communication.

So I've connected a parallel port to both PC's, and was hoping that if I write say 98 on the XP port, that the Vista PC would see it. So far it does not. How can I do this?

Thanks for any help,
Paul
phil
Site Admin

Re: How: PC <-> PC

Post by phil »

What mode is the parallel port in?

Its been a long time since I looked at this (back in the days of MS DOS) but I seem to recall that you need to put the LPT port into bi-directional mode by messing with other ports and registers (and possibly bios options) to read the 8-bit "output" port. Traditionally the 8 bit port was output only and there were 5 bits that could be read for input (if my memory is correct). This was not bi-directional mode and only of use for printers which reported status this way.

To make the port work in bi-direcitonal mode (read/write all 8 bits), you need to poke some values into the LPT control ports (I cant remember the specifics because it was >15 years ago that I had to do this) but its not just as simple as connecting a cable between the two ports.

You might find more answers at the original authors site (I don't really do parallel ports!, I only made a 64bit version of this driver)

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
PaulL
New User

Post by PaulL »

Thanks. Do you think it's easier using serial port & cable than parallel port? I've found source code for PC to PC via serial port, but it looks ancient, has #include <bios.h>. The bios.h was for 16 bit stuff, and surely won't work on MS Visual studio 6 & 8, no?

Paul
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

What precisely are you trying to accomplish and why?
Most PC-PC stuff these days uses network/TCP-IP or at worst USB-USB.

But I guess the solution will depend on the problem and the desired result. I cant say what would be best in your case, but serial would be easier PC-PC and you wouldn't need any drivers like InpOut32!

To do serial coms in visual studio 8 using C++ take a look here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/cserialcom.aspx (for example)
And to do serial using .NET (eg C++ or C#) (very easy) try this http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/Se ... t_COM.aspx

Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)