STOP XMBC from running at startup

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
rahh1861
New User

STOP XMBC from running at startup

Post by rahh1861 »

I would like to STOP X-Mouse Button Control from starting when I boot my Windows system. I did a search on this forum and there are a lot of threads from people who are having trouble getting it to START with Windows. It starts perfectly for me, but I want to stop this behavior.

I realize that a program like XMBC normally is used all the time, and I have been using it that way for several years and love it. However, lately I am experiencing startup problems with my system and am trying to diagnose what is causing the problem. So I've been turning off the various programs that run at startup. It is an intermittent problem (happens about once a week), so I want to turn off XMBC autostart for awhile and then run it manually after the system boots successfully. The problem is, once I have run XBMC manually, it then insists on starting automatically on Windows startup. I then have to use a startup manager to disable it.

What I really need is an option in the the program's settings - like a checkbox - for "start program at Windows Startup". This is quite a common thing to find in a lot of programs like calendars, schedulers, even clipboard managers. It would be nice if XMBC had such a feature.

Otherwise, a great program. I don't think I would be able to even use my Kensington Trackball in the way I want (reconfigured buttons) without XMBC, so it is a great program to have. So my little complaint doesn't mean I don't appreciate the program big-time. :)

Just FYI, I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64-bit; X-Mouse version 2.5

Thanks
phil
Site Admin

Re: STOP XMBC from running at startup

Post by phil »

Its easy, just disable the XMouse Launcher service in the system services dialog or MSConfig services tab.
XMBC uses a service to make sure it launches with highest available privileges.

EDIT: XMBC can not so easily have such a checkbox because its using a service - most programs don't do it that way. I suppose the checkbox could manipulate the service but you need to be a administrator to do that so it gets messy on Vista or later.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
rahh1861
New User

Post by rahh1861 »

OK, thanks Phil. I'll give that a try. I agree that it wouldn't be worth doing a checkbox if it isn't easy and clean.
nadir
New User

Post by nadir »

phil wrote:Its easy, just disable the XMouse Launcher service in the system services dialog or MSConfig services tab.
XMBC uses a service to make sure it launches with highest available privileges.

EDIT: XMBC can not so easily have such a checkbox because its using a service - most programs don't do it that way. I suppose the checkbox could manipulate the service but you need to be a administrator to do that so it gets messy on Vista or later.

Thanks,
Phil
I have the same issue and I did it but it doesn't works. The XMouse Launcher service is disabled in MSConfig services tab but the program is launched at start...
(the OS is Win7 ultimate)

Edit - I found a solution: Disable the XMouse Launcher service also from the "Serices" tool (under administrative tools)
AnDysE
New User

Post by AnDysE »

I can't even find this stupid garbage in services. Uninstalling this trash.
AnDysE
New User

Post by AnDysE »

It's so incredibly stupid to not have an option to not start up with windows.
steveg
New User

Post by steveg »

You didn't figure out something and start with the name-calling, after trying advice from 8 years ago. That's really not necessary.

Task Manager>More Details -- Startup tab
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

AnDysE wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:56 pm I can't even find this stupid garbage in services. Uninstalling this trash.
Please do uninstall it, because frankly, I couldn't care less when you have an attitude like that with your first post - way to go!

If your interested (and I guess you are not) the additive you refer to above is somewhat old and out of date - that is, 8 years ago, things worked differently. XMBC has long since dispensed with the service launcher and can be disabled at startup like almost any other windows application using the task manger startup tab. The option is there - the REASON its not in the GUI is because to change the option (for all users) you need elevated permissions (run as administrator) and XMBC does not run as administrator by default (which makes things difficult). After all, its the MOST SIMPLE startup registry entry used by most all software that runs on startup, and like all other software, can be toggled on and off using the startup tab in task manager.

Thanks SteveG for the defense though :).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
steveg
New User

Post by steveg »

:mrgreen:
Astara

Post by Astara »

AnDysE wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:58 pm It's so incredibly stupid to not have an option to not start up with windows.
But you do have an option. Apparently you don't know where it is. What do you call it when someone
blames others for their own ignorance? Tsk tsk.

Search for sysinternals autoruns on the web. You will be directed to a Microsoft site that shows
a bunch of FREE windows utilities (which you might want to familiarize yourself with so as not to
appear ignorant about how to operate your computer). Right now, focus on 'autoruns', at
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/autoruns . It
can show you all the places where programs can be listed to autorun. There are tons of places
where something can autorun.

It seems a bit of a waste of time and development for all programs to include all the options
of "autorun", when MS provides (via sysinternals) a master program to examine all the places.

Hope you find the utilities useful...but, BTW, they don't have a utility to do all the things
XBMC does.

*cheers*!
Astara