Strange keyboard key swapping with Windows 8

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
skuffle
New User

Strange keyboard key swapping with Windows 8

Post by skuffle »

I'm using XMBC with Windows 8 RTM x64. Works great, and has done for a few days.

Today, however, I noticed that my 'hash' key (to the lower left of the return key on a UK keyboard) is sending a backslash. I've seen similar situations when the local keyboard settings were incorrect, so despite having not touched them, I checked them anyway. They were still set to UK. So I switched them to US, then back to UK. Still no luck.

I then remembered I had installed XMBC, and exited the app. Instantly the keyboard started working normally again. So I assumed that it was a setting I had missed (despite it having worked fine for a few days and me not having changed any settings). I opened the app again, and the keyboard continued to work fine.

Is this some bizarre bug, or a setting I am missing? It was definitely XMBC causing it, as instantly as I exited the app, the text in Notepad looked as it should when typed. I'm only using XMBC to map two mouse buttons to 'close-tab' and 'browser back'.

Help!
phil
Site Admin

Re: Strange keyboard key swapping with Windows 8

Post by phil »

Very odd - I have a UK keyboard and Ive not seen any such problems.
Are you having the issues when XMBC should not be interrupting or is it in simkeys or something?

I've been using Win 8 for a week now on my UK layout laptop and havn't noticed any such problem! I'm yet to install Win 8 on my desktop but I probably will do when I get home from my buisness trip in Hong Kong.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
skuffle
New User

Re: Strange keyboard key swapping with Windows 8

Post by skuffle »

I had the issue when XMBC was in the background (system tray) - it shouldn't be active on the keyboard at all - I'm just using it for the two mouse buttons on my trackball.

If it helps, the only two things I have configured in the app can be seen here:

http://imgur.com/HqYQn

The simkeys is a {CTRL}{F4} that would great if you could add as a custom option - it's Close tab in most browsers and Windows applications :)