Trackball Scrolling

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Pukat
New User

Re: Trackball Scrolling

Post by Pukat »

Hello again!

Hey, bad news :cry: I found that if I use that dll (mine), in some wierd situation the cursor stops responding to the change specially on IExplorer or Mozilla and when the system prompts to special authorization (last case is normal). I suspect some call on the DLL program must use H_MOUSE_LL on the hook so I'll suspend the use of my dll until I figure it out.

So in order to do the things handly I change my mind (temporally) and call Sakasa Mouse with one button on normal layer then call next layer; actually I did the same thing but calling my program.

The recomendation is: If you want to invert the Y or X axis you can call that program I said before (Sakasa Mouse), you can terminate it anytime restoring defaults automatically.
Remember, if you have more than one mouse device installed on the same system (p.e. Laptops), the inverted one will work the right way and the rest won't.

And for Scrolling the solution on XMBC fits perfect. So try it!!

Sorry for all the trouble caused.
Note: Anyone interested in the DLL code can ask freely.
See you soon.
skipcube
New User

Post by skipcube »

Hi Phil,
I'm back. :D . After few days of using the hack of middle button press, I would like request the "sticky" change movement to scroll.

Here are the reasons I found why programming the 4/5 th button to "Sticky" middle button proved to be much harder to use.
1. The middle button sets up a scroll mode in which scrolling is accelerated depending on how far the pointer is away from the mouse. This proved to be a pain to control. I.e its really hard to control where to exactly stop. It feels like skidding on ice.

2. Each move of the trackball really increases or decreases the speed of the scrolling. As I later discovered, I really wanted it to control how much to scroll.

Can you please consider the sticky change movement to scroll?

Thanks.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Will do :)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
skipcube
New User

Post by skipcube »

Thanks. Will this be an item in one of 2.4 Beta releases?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Probably but it depends on the complexity (which I guess wont be a big deal but wont know for sure till I investigate it).
--[ Phil ]--
Pukat
New User

Post by Pukat »

Hello again Phil !

I found that tracking the movement within an optical mouse inverted (upsidedown) the ball that emulates the movement does need the system to be configurated on 4 of Mouse pointer speed (10 for default). So the cursor moves to fast and everytime the system reboots it needs to be reconfigurated because some other software or driver of a mouse or like mouse device installed on the system (for laptops the touchpad interferes).

The solution:
1. Reconfigurate the mouse movement every system's reboot event, (Booring).
2. Make a trick to do it automatically, (not everyone can).
3. Ask Phil to cosider to add the option of save the mouse speed settings on every single layer of XMBC, (Can you help us with this Phil ? ).

Thanks for all the help !!
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

urm, sorry you have confused me a little :o ...

The mouse speed is a system variable, which you can already set in XMBC but not for each layer, its a global setting.

Are you saying you want this global setting layer (and profile) specific? so as you change layers or between defined window profiles, it changes the speed ???

I'm not sure that will be possible - it seems the system settings do not get applied instantly anymore (maybe on windows 7). I noticed this on the "lines to scroll" but I assume its the same for all global mouse settings :S.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
Pukat
New User

Post by Pukat »

Hi !

You are rigth, on Windows 7 works that way.

The way I change this, is :
1. Open the Setup option of XMBC.
2. Select the Settings tab.
3. Change the value of Mouse Speed option to 4 (always starts on 10).
4. Select OK button to accept.
5. Select APPLY button.

That changes the movement of the cursor instantly, don't know if other Windows need reboot.

The question is: can all this procedure be done on one mouse click? or changing the layer?
Thanks again.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well firstly, it shouldn't always start at 10. XMBC should remember and restore this after a reboot. If its not doing that, its a bug and I will have to look into fixing it. If I can fix it, would that be sufficient. To add this to every layer on every profile would be a rather major change!

EDIT: Just tried it here, set to 8, rebooted and its still 8 (win7 x64) so strange things are happening I guess!
--[ Phil ]--
Pukat
New User

Post by Pukat »

Ok

I'll try to find if some other driver interferes with mouse speed because in my lap always starts with mouse speed in 10, it seems to be a local problem.
Thanks a lot.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Does your laptop have a touch-pad or something that might cause it. Its a laptop I tried here and that's got a synaptics touch-pad, no problem there but I don't tend to do much with the synaptics software.

It is possible that XMBC isnt applying the setting properly at startup, or something else is changing it from under XMBC. I can probably do something about that if that is the case. (reapply it at startup after a delay or every now and then lol).

Let me know if you find anything. I might have to add some debug logging to get the setting at startup and see what it is then and if xmbc is setting it properly but I'm not able to look at xmbc much now until at least the 27th (after xmas).

Thanks
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
crj11
New User

Post by crj11 »

I just found this thread, since I am moving to a Windows 7 64 bit system and can no longer use the existing Marble Mouse Scroll program. I tried out your 2.4 beta 4 program and it also works fine for me. One suggestion is to add some way of adjusting the sensitivity. Since the "convert mouse movement to scrolling" option would probably not be used by someone who had a real scroll wheel, perhaps you could use the global scroll lines parameter to alter the sensitivity.

The Marble Mouse Scroll Wheel program seems to be very popular, so you will probably have more trackball people using your program as they move to Windows 64.

Thanks,
Chris
John22
New User

Post by John22 »

The Marble Mouse Scroll Wheel works on my systems with Windows 7/8 64-bit with almost all programs but not with the IE (32-bit and 64-bit) and the new Chrome 64-bit. I have installed the program in "Program Files" and not "Program Files (x86)" where it doesn't worked.

But I will change to XMBC when I get the settings for the Marble mouse.