Question on System Volume Control

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
shortpower24
New User

Question on System Volume Control

Post by shortpower24 »

Hi,

I recently downloaded and installed XMouse v2.0. Very nice, comprehensive utility :D

I have a 6-button Kensington PilotMouse Laser Wireless Pro, and the MouseWorks software (v6.2.2) that came with it is somewhat customizable (I also have Synaptics TouchPad v7.2 installed), but I couldn't simulate a CTRL button keystroke, so I turned to XMouse to activate the CTRL+TAB shortcut to switch between open tabs in Google Chrome. It works great!

When I first went to the download page and read your example of "making the mouse wheel change volume when hovering over the system tray," I immediately wanted to do just this.

I've gotten the software to adjust the volume like this, but each mouse wheel click adjusts the volume up or down in a 1/10 increment, just like when I hold the function key and press the keys for volume up/down on my laptop keyboard. I would like for each mouse wheel click to adjust the volume in a 1/50 increment as it does when you left-click the volume icon in the system tray and scroll there. That is, I would like more fine-tuned adjusting of the volume with the mouse wheel.

Is there any way to do this, and if so, what do I need to do? Thanks very much, I appreciate the help!

Samantha
--------------
Kensington PilotMouse Laser Wireless Pro, Kensington MouseWorks 6.2.2
Windows XP Home SP3 32-bit, Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz
2GB RAM, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 945GSE
MainTrane
Dedicated

Re: Question on System Volume Control

Post by MainTrane »

Hi Samantha, XMBC does not have the ability to change the number of steps the volume changes when the wheel is scrolled. It simply sends the standard Windows message for media volume control, the same as the media keys on a keyboard.

You would need to map the program through another software or driver that is capable of adjusting the increment of volume change.

I, personally, use 3RVX - website link to accomplish this. It's an advanced OSD for system volume that features the ability to control the incrementation of volume, in percentage.

Code: Select all

In 3RVX create hotkeys, which do not conflict with any others, for adjusting system volume.

In XMBC assign those same hotkeys to your systray profile as wheelup/down commands using simulated keystroke assignments.

Finally, play around with the 'custom volume change amount' within 3RVX to find something you're comfortable with; 2% I'd assume :) though it can go down much further, I personally use .05%.
PS, there is an off chance that your keyboard driver has an increment adjustment for volume change. If so, you would want to try that option first as it would be easier (no use of simkeys) and wouldn't require additional software.

• Beta Tester ‖ Global Moderator
    Logitech [ G700 | G500 | MX1100 ᵛ¹ ᵛ² ]
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
    Intel Core i7-960 @ 3.85GHz
    18GB (3x4GB+3x2GB) RAM
    DirectX 11
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
[/size]
shortpower24
New User

Re: Question on System Volume Control

Post by shortpower24 »

Thanks for the info, MainTrane!

Samantha
--------------