middle mouse click

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
dickie_PDX
New User

middle mouse click

Post by dickie_PDX »

I recently started using your program for an Evoluent vertical mouse -- wonderful. I do CAD and have RSI problems specifically associated with using a mouse. Unfortunately, Sketchup relies on clicking and holding the left mouse button and the scroll wheel to work efficiently, either simultaneously or seperately to orbit and pan, as well as many other functions. There is no way around using these mouse buttons, because they are the only way to pan and orbit transparently in the middle of another function (say, drawing a line) without using the icon driven functions in the menubar above (not very efficient). I do take advantage of the Windows sticky keys for the shift, control, and alt. keys.

What I'm wondering is, do you have a sticky function for the scroll wheel click action? Also, I found you have a function that lets me turn button 5 into a sticky left click, but it seems to work intermittently. When I return the button to its default function, it works just fine and consistently.

Thanks,
Brint
phil
Site Admin

Re: middle mouse click

Post by phil »

Hi,

The mouse wheel scrolling does not work like a button, it has not up/down notification, just a scroll, therefore it is impossible to make it sticky. The sticky function essenatially delays the BUTTON UP message until you press the button a second time. Or do you mean add a sticky for the middle mouse button rather than the wheel scrolling?

As to why it would work internittently, can you be a little more proceise? Is there a certain scenario where it does not work, or is it apparently random? Could you perhaps enable debug logging and see if you can log the intermittent failure? That way I might be in a better position to diagnose it?

You also might like to try the new beta (there is a sticky post about it in the XMBC forum). Its had quite alot of work which might just solve the itermittant sticky buttons by nature of the changes - it would be good to know :)

I've moved the post to the correct forum by the way!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
dickie_PDX
New User

Post by dickie_PDX »

I downloaded and installed your beta version 1.53.7.

I configured the middle mouse button to Click-Drag [sticky button] again, and there is no change. When you click the button while in Schetchup, it still just jumps toward the direction of the window where you clicked on relative the center of the screen (sort of a instantaneous pan). Is that what you mean by BUTTON UP function? What I'm hoping for is that your program will just make the middle button (that's in the scroll wheel on my mouse) act like I'm holding it down continuously (sticky), until I click it again. Similar to how I'm able to make my button 5 work with your click and drag feature.

The Button 5 Click-Drag still works intermittently. But I've figured out that it may have nothing to with your program (or, only indirectly), and happens instead because I'm using two buttons simultaneously. The two Sketchup tools are activated in sequence. First, you click and hold the middle mouse button (the feature I wish your program could do in a "sticky" manner), this allows you to orbit, then, in order to pan, you click and hold the left button while still holding the middle button. When you are done with panning, you release the left key, which puts you back into the orbit tool, or you release both buttons to drop out of both tools simultaneously. With button 5 programmed for Click-Drag, when I am holding the middle button, then simultaneously clicking button 5, the pan tool activates just fine. But when I am through with both tools, and I release the middle button without first clicking button 5, the left click-drag is still active, but I can't see that. Once I've left the Sketchup orbit middle mouse button tool, if I reenter the orbit tool without any other actions, I cannot use the pan tool at all -- there is now no way to get the sticky button 5 tool to deactivate while I have the middle mouse button held without leaving the tool entirely. What I need is a feature that allows the sticky button 5 to be active until the middle mouse button is released or re-clicked. To get out of the active button 5 sticky-drag mode after I've released the middle mouse button, I merely have to click another command, left click the mouse, or try to use the orbit feature with pan twice in a row (after the second time you enter the orbit with mouse tool the left mouse sticky has been deactivated).

I'm sure this sounds confusing, and it may be that your program is not appropriate for what I’m trying to do in Sketchup. But I'm apparently now stuck in some sort of auto scroll mode making it very difficult to use the left mouse key to select text in this forum reply editor window, even though I’ve switched back to my X-Mouse layer 1 which has no mouse button programing. Maybe that is just your website’s editor window's normal function -- in all other applications the left key seems to be working just fine.

Thanks for your reply,
Brint
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Urm, the middle but can be made sticky... using the "Middle click-drag [sticky button]" option, but I suspect it might suffer the same intermittent problems that left/right sticky does too?
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Try the new beta (1.53.8) which I have just updated. I think Ive fixed the sticky keys (there was a few silly errors). I tested it with Skecthup and it seems to work now.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
dickie_PDX
New User

Post by dickie_PDX »

Phil,

You did it! Now, when I middle click, it holds the Sketchup orbit tool until I click the button again. The sticky left mouse button still stays activated if I click on the middle button first, so I'll just have to get used to that sequencing, since I assume there is no way for the middle key to deactivate the left mouse key too?

Thanks so much,
Brint
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Are you asking for *any* button click to cancel the stickyness (!) of other buttons?
It could be done, but I'm not sure that's what most people would want... Maybe it is...
I will think on that one :)

But glad it seems to have sorted the sketchup issue (and no doubt other problems with sticky buttons).

EDIT: Thanks for the donation - much appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--