Is such a function possible?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
kint
New User

Is such a function possible?

Post by kint »

XMBC Version[/b]: v2.19.2
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: Win10

I don't speak English well, so I use a translator. Faced such a problem. I wrote a small script for the Cabal Online game, it works and there are no complaints about it, but I can't close the game, because if I do this, the script will stop working. Is it possible to make the script work in one window, and at the same moment I can do my own thing in another window?
phil
Site Admin

Re: Is such a function possible?

Post by phil »

Do you mean a simulated keystrokes script in XMBC (I presume you do mean this!) or something completely independent to XMBC?

XMBC profiles are window specific, and any input is sent to the Windows input buffer, which is then passed on to the ACTIVE window by Windows itself. If the active window changes, the keystroke will go to that instead of the game window so that wont be much use. It is NOT possible in XMBC to send input to a window that is not active (has input focus). On top of that, XMBC will stop the script anyway when the profile changes (if you have a profile specific script setup) again, because you dont want those keys going to the new active window.

If you want to script another window, you may be able to do it with AutoHotkey - but they game may refuse to accept input if it is not in the foreground (active) anyway - that will depend on the game itself and the methods you use to send input to it.

Regards,
Phil
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
kint
New User

Post by kint »

"It is NOT possible in XMBC to send input to a window that is not active (has input focus)" If the likelihood of adding this feature in future updates?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

I don't think you understand. This is not a limitation of XMBC and can't be "fixed" in XMBC.

If you can persuade Microsoft to change Windows to send keyboard input to another window, then XMBC could do it - its not an XMBC limitation.
Oh and there is zero chance of Microsoft doing that by they way, but be my guest and try asking them!

XMBC could send windows messages like WM_CHAR to another window, but that rarely works, especially with games which use raw input!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)