5 buttons limit - choose which 5?

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
8idmubg9
New User

5 buttons limit - choose which 5?

Post by 8idmubg9 »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.19
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: 11
Mouse Information (brand/model): Rapoo VT950Q
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc):
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: 2 days
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: I've seen posts and the FAQs regarding the 5 button limit due to Windows mouse hooks.

Wondering if it's possible to select which 5 buttons are chosen? On this mouse, the default 4 and 5 recognizes the right hand side of the mouse, which isn't as easy to use as the left side buttons (with my thumb).
phil
Site Admin

Re: 5 buttons limit - choose which 5?

Post by phil »

Sorry, no, your mouse or mouse driver makes that choice, and passes that information to the windows mouse message queue, which XMBC hooks into to work out what is pressed - if you could choose, then there wouldn't be a limit on how many buttons would be usable! The limit is because windows mouse message queues only pass on the massages for 5 buttons and that's controlled at device or device driver levels.

In theory the other buttons send messages via different means (raw/direct input) so could be intercepted, but those button messages can not be blocked (which would be a problem for any button that has default action because it would be impossible to block that default action). So there is a chance I could get other buttons to work, but I have tried the past (unsuccessfully) and haven't got the time to spend ages on trying again right now, although I do at least have a mouse with more than 5 buttons now so you never know!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
8idmubg9
New User

Re: 5 buttons limit - choose which 5?

Post by 8idmubg9 »

I see! Thank you for the thoughtful reply :D