Keyboard not working after boot windows

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
Vusless
New User

Keyboard not working after boot windows

Post by Vusless »

Hello!

Keyboard not working in login screen after boot windows. But! After pressing any mouse button, the keyboard works well. It was checked on two different keyboards: PS/2 and Bluetooth. And also it was checked on two different mice: USB and Wireless.

This problem is only with automatic launch X-Mouse Button Control (2.19.2). Windows 10 x64.

How can the problem be solved?

PS: Sorry for my bad english :mrgreen:
phil
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard not working after boot windows

Post by phil »

I'm sorry, I have no idea how XMBC could cause that. It does not do anything with the keyboard (other than listen for global hotkeys/layer modifier keys if you have those enabled (do you?).

Its certainly not something i have ever seen across all my own PC's and multiple versions of Windows.

More to the point, XMBC does not start until you have actually logged in to windows and have a user session running, so if this is a cold boot, it shouldn't even be running (however if its resume from sleep / hibernate it may still be running from the previous session) but you didn't mention anything about that?

Oh, and what was the reason for deleting the post template and not filling in the required/requested information? The forum posting rules and new post template are there for a reason - to prompt you to give useful information that may help work out whats going on (in this case, what version of Windows would be useful to know!)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
Vusless
New User

Post by Vusless »

If you remove XMBC from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, then the keyboard works well.

XMBC is automatically launched to the real entry of the user into the system due to this setting: Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart. Turning off this settings solves the problem!

PS: Also, so that the keyboard will work, you can press Ctrl+Alt+Del.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Thats interesting - I didn't know about that. But I notice you conveniently still failed to give any information about what OS version your using. As I said previously, without that information I have little to go on.
--[ Phil ]--
Vusless
New User

Post by Vusless »

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H2 19044.1706
Stefan1200
New User

Post by Stefan1200 »

I have the same problem. As soon as I disable the auto start of XMBC, this problem is gone. Using XMBC v2.19.2 and Windows 10 21H2 64 bit.

This problem only occurs, if you wait to long after seeing the login screen (see next paragraph). On login screen I only get the Windows error beep, if I press a key. If I do a mouse click to make the login input fields visible, I can enter my login credentials without problems. If the auto start of XMBC is disabled, I can also press a key to make the login input fields visible.

Maybe the following information is helping you:
It seems Windows 10 is loading the user profile of the last logged on user already in background without entering the login credentials. You will notice this, if you don't enter the login credentials, just wait 30 to 120 seconds (deepens on the speed of your PC) and try to shut down your PC from the login screen. A message appear, that a user is already logged on (after a cold boot without entering login credentials!). Thats why XMBC is already running. If I enter my login credentials after a minute I can see my Windows desktop with all loaded background processes already running immediately. The Windows option "Fastboot" is disabled.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Vusless wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:21 am Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device and reopen my apps after an update or restart. Turning off this settings solves the problem!
Interestingly I don't have that setting - maybe its because my PC is joined to a domain. I'll have to try a non domain PC and see!
--[ Phil ]--
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well that was a complex one to diagnose - its difficult to debug something before you logon :)
Anyway I think Ive found the problem and worked around it. 2.20 Beta 5 should fix this (available in the beta topic here) if your interested in testing it!
--[ Phil ]--