XMBC key simulation with Input Director

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
a9c4
New User

XMBC key simulation with Input Director

Post by a9c4 »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: Windows 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Pulsar Xlite v2
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: 2 years
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: English , US

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:

I use a tool that I saw mentioned a couple of years ago on this forum, Input Director. It allows me to control my 2nd PC by sharing my mouse and keyboard.

I am having an issue that I have my doubts can be fixed by any settings in this software but perhaps I can be pointed in the right direction. I use XMouse Button Control to simulate the hotkeys that I use to take control of my 2nd PC and to return control to my main PC.

The issue lies when I try to return control to my main PC. I am able to simulate my hotkey to lend my keyboard/mouse to the 2nd PC, but it seems that Input Director continues to send my inputs to the 2nd PC when I am trying to simulate my hotkey to go back to the main PC. XMBC does not read any inputs coming from my mouse when I am in control of the 2nd PC.

I am not sure if this is at all possible and I am trying to get in contact with the dev of Input Director, but is there a way I can have XMBC always be the first application to handle all mouse inputs before going straight into Input Director?
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC key simulation with Input Director

Post by phil »

I'm afraid I don't think there is any way you can do this. XMBC uses mouse hooks to intercept the mouse messages, and I would guess Input Director does too there is no way to control the order that mouse hooks work, simply put, the most recent app to install the hook gets called first. Assuming Input Director even uses hooks (it may work at an even lower level in which case I suspect your out of luck completely) but you could try disabling and re-enabling XMBC - that will reinstall the mouse hook and maybe "force" XMBC to the top. If it does not help then Input Director will be lower level and there will be no options. If it does work then you could including in your macro, some XMBC hotkeys to disable/re-enable - but I really think that's a long shot and probably will not work!
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
a9c4
New User

Re: XMBC key simulation with Input Director

Post by a9c4 »

I see. I figured as much and I tried out your suggestion with no luck sadly. It was definitely a long shot to find a solution to this so it looks like I will simply just have to find another way to work around it. Thank you for the killer software, and I appreciate your reply nonetheless.