back/forward when wheel tilted stopped working

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
DavidU
New User

back/forward when wheel tilted stopped working

Post by DavidU »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.2b4
Installed or Portable version: installed
Windows Version: Windows 11 Home 21H2, 22000.593
Mouse Information (brand/model): MS Sculpt Ergonomics
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc):
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no, stopped working about 2 weeks ago when non beta was present.
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): maybe.
How long have you used XMBC?: year
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: en, cz

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).: Hi, first thanks for your great software which made possible to use wheel tilts on my MS sculpt for back/forward in browsers possible. Unfortunately I've noticed that it stopped working about 2-4 weeks ago. Reinstall did not help, so I try beta today, but without success. But if I sign "back" to wheel when pushed, it's working just fine, so seems to be related just to tilting.
Thanks for help!
phil
Site Admin

Re: back/forward when wheel tilted stopped working

Post by phil »

Do the tilt left/right combo/dropdown boxes highlight in Orange in the XMBC setup GUI when you press the tilt functions.
If not, then XMBC is not receiving the tilt messages from the mouse (or Windows) therefore it cant remap them.

In that case, usually there is some other software that has changed the behavior of the mouse - and you will have to figure out what that is in order to change it back (assuming you can). I would look at any MS configuration for your mouse (or in my case any Logitech software).
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
DavidU
New User

Post by DavidU »

Hi Phil, thanks for fast reply!

So, I did left/right tilt and it do not highlight boxes in orange. Wheel click and other click do highlight these boxes.

I suspect it's about newest windows 11 update, because in this time I made no other sw instalatons or tweaks with mouse, most of time computer was off or rendering vids. I do not have installed MS mouse software, just native windows mouse stuff. Let's see if someone else will report the same problem and I'm going to recheck windows settings.

Thanks and have a good day
DavidU
New User

Post by DavidU »

Also, I have now installed newest MS keyboard and mice center and there I can switch on horizontal scrolling when tilting wheel and it work... so mice is ok and is able to send wheel tilts to the OS. So I suspect it's software problem and XMBC do not getting signals of wheel tilts. Maybe some tweaks in registry?
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Almost certainly the MS keyboard and mice center software is taking control of the tilt messages and not letting them get as far as XMBC.
This is common - Logitech do it all the time and you have to explicitly change it back - annoying but there is nothing XMBC can do about it!

Unfortunately I don't have the MS software so I can personally offer any guidance on that (other than uninstalling it should fix it - but I'm sure that wont be the only solution).

EDIT: Oh you only just installed the MS keyboard/mouse software - so maybe not...
Is this regular Win 11 (normal release channel)? I will check on my laptop when I get home tonight and see if I have the same problem.
--[ Phil ]--
DavidU
New User

Post by DavidU »

Yes, I have just installed MS key/mouse software to try to enable wheel tilting to see if this wheel tilting work fom mouse to computer and signals was sent. Unfortunately in this MS software is not possible to map tilts to anything else than horizontal scrolling.

Yes it was last release from MS download page.

Thanks for your help.
phil
Site Admin

Post by phil »

Well I got today's patch Tuesday updates for Win11 installed today on my laptop (22000.556) - everything still seems to be working fine regarding tilt (that is, the dropdown boxes highlight in orange still) so there must be something else at play. Figuring that out might not be easy!

This I hasten to add is with a Logitceh mouse without any logitech software installed.
--[ Phil ]--
DavidU
New User

Post by DavidU »

Thanks for checking! Will google later if there is something that my help. Fortunately, there is a side thumb button for "back" but tilt of wheel was better:)

Keep up good work!
DavidU
New User

Post by DavidU »

Hi Phil, problem solved..so in case that somebody will have the same trouble.. today I decided to remove this yesterday installed MS key/mouse software and after it was done, xmbc again start to blink orange, when wheel tilted and back/forward work!

Thanks!