XMBC permanently overwrote M4 and M5 buttons

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
TheRumRunner
New User

XMBC permanently overwrote M4 and M5 buttons

Post by TheRumRunner »

XMBC Version: v2.19.2
Installed or Portable version: Installed
Windows Version: 10
Mouse Information (brand/model): Razer Basilisk v2
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): Intel Core i7-8700K 3.70 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 64-bit
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): No
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): No
How long have you used XMBC?: 6 months+
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US English

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:
I've been using XMBC successfully and without error for quite a while. I have no other mouse function hooks installed. I only set up one application-specific profile to map [CTRL+G] and [CTRL+K] to my Mouse 4 and Mouse 5 buttons while using Adobe Premiere to streamline my workflow. This worked marvelously, no problems. Today, a snowstorm knocked out our power and shut my computer down. After the power came back and I booted up my computer again the above profile has affected all programs. (I should note, I was not using Premiere when the power went out, I had a browser open and Discord and that's it) I disabled XMBC and it persisted. I rebooted and it persisted. I uninstalled XMBC and deleted the profile from the XMBC files and it persisted. I reinstalled XMBC and it persisted. Remapping the keys does nothing. Unplugging and replugging the mouse does nothing. Switching USB ports does nothing.

It *feels* like the hooks were somehow permanently mapped to the button presses as when I try to update keymaps (in, for example, GTA:V and Discord) with and without XMBC active (and even uninstalled) its reads those mouse button presses as CTRL+G and CTRL+K respectively.

I just want my Mouse Buttons to work again but I have no idea how to get my computer to recognize those as mouse buttons again.
TheRumRunner
New User

Re: XMBC permanently overwrote M4 and M5 buttons

Post by TheRumRunner »

I also just noticed that when I've got XMBC open that when I, for example, Left Click with my mouse, the Left click field highlights yellow. However, when I press Mouse 4 or 5 their fields do not highlight yellow. It fails to recognize those buttons.
phil
Site Admin

Re: XMBC permanently overwrote M4 and M5 buttons

Post by phil »

Well, if the buttons are not highlighting, then XMBC isn't seeing the button messages. My Logitech G9 mouse has profiles built into the mouse itself (which you can switch between using a special button on the mouse) Some profiles send different things. Does maybe your Razor mouse have a similar function? If so, maybe the power interruption caused the mouse to switch profiles itself (nothing to do with XMBC),

Also note that windows mouse hooks (such as those that XMBC uses) can only function when the application that "sets" them is running. So if you exit XMBC and the problem persists, then you definitely need to be looking elsewhere as to what is causing the problem. I'm not familiar with your particular mouse (never used a Razor mouse) but if its anything like the Logitech mice then those hardware profiles are worth checking, also check the razor software (if installed?)
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)