AutoCAD zoom (smoother or faster)

x64 Replacement/Alternative to Microsoft's IntelliMouse application.
Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting for the first time.
The more information you can provide, the quicker and more accurately someone can help.
NOTE: To reduce spam, new users can not post links, files or images until they have at least 4 posts.
arkitechy
New User

AutoCAD zoom (smoother or faster)

Post by arkitechy »

Please fill in this template when posting!
XMBC Version: 2.19.2
Installed or Portable version: installed
Windows Version: Win 10 21H1 build 19043.1526
Mouse Information (brand/model): logitech MX Master 2S
Relevant Computer Information (CPU, RAM etc): 64gb ram, ryzen 7 3700x 64 bit, geforce rtx 3060 graphics
Did the problem occur after an upgrade of XMBC? (If so, from what version?): no
Did the problem occur after a Windows update/upgrade? (If so, from what version?): no
How long have you used XMBC?: a decade or more
What language and keyboard layout do you use in Windows?: US english

Clear description of the problem - try and include as much information as possible, including what button and mappings you are having problems with (if applicable).:
I am using AutoCAD 2022 and attempting to adjust the scroll/zoom smoothness (and/or speed) within the application. The zoom is either too choppy or too slow. (not a lag issue)

The default autoCAD config uses the mouse wheel to zoom and has a setting "zoomfactor" which can be set between 3-60. Zoomfactor adjusts the increments at which it scrolls but not the speed. so when set to 3 it is smoother but slower, 60 is fast but choppy.

I attempted to use x-mouse to increase the scroll speed (and by doing so the zoom speed) with the following settings within x-mouse: adjust scroll pages, lines to scroll, force scroll, scroll method and horizontal characters/vertical lines. the settings work fine in other applications.

Did I miss a setting? Could it be that AutoCAD overrides mouse settings?

Thanks for any help.
phil
Site Admin

Re: AutoCAD zoom (smoother or faster)

Post by phil »

Yes I absolutley expect autocad is overriding those mouse settings - in order to do its custom zoomfactor it would have to look at the wheel delta.

The scroll wheel sends a delta (how much it is scrolled) - usually this is (IIRC) 120 per "notch". So Windows translates that 120 - 3 lines to scroll (or whatever lines to scroll is set to). But any program can examine the delta itself and do what it wants with it (some applications do this to implement "smooth scrolling" and don't use the "lines to scroll" at all. I suspect Autocad is also doing this, so changing the lines to scroll will (I guess) not have any impact

And in that case, I don't think there is much XMBC can do about that. Difficult for me to confirm as I don't have Autocad.
--[ Phil ]--
--[ Administrator & XMBC Author ]--
Logitech G9/G604/M720/MX518, Microsoft Intellimouse, Trust 16341 BT Mouse
Windows 10 x64, AMD Ryzen 5900x, MSI x570 Tomahawk, 32GB DDR4,
nVidia RTX 2070s, Evo 970 1Tb NVME, 2x2TB WD Black (RAID1)
arkitechy
New User

Re: AutoCAD zoom (smoother or faster)

Post by arkitechy »

Thank you so much for the insight. I'll reach out to Autodesk and hopefully get in touch with someone able to provide more insight on the AutoCAD end.